X Windows for Windows

reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
edited September 2003 in Science & Tech
Hey guys. Our school has Red Hat Linux machines. I have to do projects on the machines, but the lab is closed. Is there a program I can install on my windows machines to write perl code and execute it and also run Network Simulation files? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited September 2003
    I know there is a version of linux that is bootable off a cd. I think it is called knopix or something but I cant remember the name.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Knoppix, short for Knopper's Linux, was at version 3.2 last I looked. Actaully, Mandrake Linux comes with a complete Perl dev set in its free version, and lots of the Mandrake scripts ARE Perl. Good way to learn is to see it in action if you want to see it in an O\S. However, I would recommend a seperate HD for that and, if your hardware can be handled by it, a RH 9.0 install for the networking part. Knoppix's weak point is networking, adn you would need to install it to work heavily with Perl due to the speed slowdown caused by running EVERYTHING from CD. If you are starting out, O'Reilly adn Associates have a series of valuable books on Perl worth checking out, maybe on Safari . Safaris is a book rental online reading library and lots of the O'Reilly and Associates classics are there. I subscribe at the $14.95 per month level and have a few books I am virtually reading in my spare time on my "bookshelf" there.

Actually, Safari is an InformIt.com service, with O'Reilly as a major publisher partner. InformIt has a very good selection of print books also. Expect Perl, webdev books, PHP books, and about 20 other languages worth of mini-libraries(4-5 books kept revised and reasonably recent) that are language specific out of O'Reilly.

I think that you will need to see Perl in action to really appreciate how containers in it work and how they link to Linux, thus the Mandrake ideas. I also found that understanding boht Mandrake and RedHat and the Cisco Networking Academy semesters 1-4 helped a lot to interactively learn a LOT about networking. There is little pure network sim software that is great outside of the Cisco stuff. Cisco IOS is based loosely and mostly on Unix and early BSDs, not on Windows, and many of its commands are echoed in Linux and BSD.

Mandrake stuck itself into my P4 in about 45-55 minutes total, and I told it to build a home complete with kitchen sink. Expect Mandrake 9.2 Gold in late September or early October.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    You can also give Cygwin a try. It's a "Linux-like environment for Windows".