Did i get screwed?... or what?

edited June 2005 in Hardware
i just bought a ATI radeon 9600XT 256MB...

my question deals with the performance of said video card... it was not running my game "much" faster then my old GF Ti200 which was stumping me....

i tried everything all kinds of drivers turning up and down settings and it still would not run very well at all. my laptop with 9700pro 64MB ran my games FASTER! and thats a laptop!

anyways i went to OC the vid card and BOOM the core/mem was clocked at 324/189..... its supposed to be (according to ati.com) 600/250....

i supposed i might have been shipped the wrong card but on the sticker on the back it says 9600XT.... so i guess my question is

Did 9600XTs come with a CORE/MEM 324/189? i mean thats the clocks for the 9600 ORG or SE not for the XT!!!

now i was able to OC the Core to 440 but the mem only to 200or so. which helped performance but its till REALLY crappy!

HELP!

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Did you uninstall all your older drivers? Since you were running an nVidia card, you've got to destroy all traces of the nVidia drivers, otherwise, you're going to have conflicts. Have you tried the card in another system?
  • edited June 2005
    yep uninstalled the old drivers and cleared everything i dont have another system to try the card out on but i have narrowed it down to the fact that my "9600XT" might be a 9600 with an XT sticker. thats why i was asking about the core clock speeds. according to ati.com 324CORE/189MEM speed are for a 9600. the XT is supposed ot have a 500CORE/300MEM @ DDR so 600 total.

once i OCed the card it performed close to my laptop... but again its supposed to be faster than my laptop... any other questions please let me know.

also i have only AGP4X not 8X does this slow down the core speeds or anything?
    edited June 2005
    AGP 4x or 8x shouldn't have that much of an effect on performance. Did you purchase this card from a reputable source? It sounds like it may be re-badged. What does the driver say?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    The driver doesn't really tell you anything - my 9600xt shows up as "9600 series".
    edited June 2005
    Oh, sorry. I thought it did. I haven't looked at my Radeon system in a few months.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    See if DXDiag says anything different under the Display option, that or one of the 3DMark programs should tell you what it is... or at least what the BIOS says.
  • edited June 2005
    ok thanks guys will try and repost :) its not a repurable source as far as i know magicmicro.com
  • edited June 2005
    You aren't the first person to have that problem from them.

Check the Reseller Rating:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8718.html
    (second review)
  • edited June 2005
    AHA! exactly my problem was not the 9600XT!!!
    i pulled the heatsink just to check and saw a 9550 chip underneath!! i am sending it back and getting my money and thanks for that site. the one i purchased it from had a few ratings but that one was dead on!!! TY so much!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Make sure you provide an honest, accurate relating of your experience at Reselllerratings. Businesses like that deserve to go out of business.

Gentlemen and Ladies:

Never trust an online business by their advertising! Check them out. The tools are available to learn before you buy.
  • edited June 2005
    will do i bought through pricewatch.com and they have 18 reviews there but none about the ati.... yet :) thanks again for the help.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    themainjam wrote:
    I have only AGP4X not 8X does this slow down the core speeds or anything?

4X should about halve throughput versus 8X, and yes, drivers will HAVE TO then slow down cores to compensate. Sorry, sounds like motherboard time to get full card performance.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited June 2005
    lol my 9600np runs at 324/189 >.< sigh
    edited June 2005
    4X should about halve throughput versus 8X, and yes, drivers will HAVE TO then slow down cores to compensate. Sorry, sounds like motherboard time to get full card performance.

There have been benchmarks that show minimal performance changes between 4x and 8x.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2005
    that is complete and total crap. just because the number is twice as big doesn't mean its twice as fast. if that was the case SATA drives would be far and away faster than IDE drives, because I mean hey, the maximum possible is much higher! don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    I would also report this to ATI customer service - let them know that magicmicro is selling greymarket (read: pirated) ATI hardware.
    edited June 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    that is complete and total crap. just because the number is twice as big doesn't mean its twice as fast. if that was the case SATA drives would be far and away faster than IDE drives, because I mean hey, the maximum possible is much higher! don't give advice when you don't know what you're talking about

In addition, the drivers never change the speed of the core depending on your AGP apature!
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    TheBaron wrote:

I've RUN both, and the numbers are definitively bigger if sufficient system resources are there to support the 8X cards. Put not enough RAM, slow system RAM, slow card RAM paired with a fast GPU, etc, and you get slow performance better suited for use with a 4 X board. Whole system determines results, and the motherboard is the core of the system-- period. Was being a short-median, and staying short-- to do justice to a decent card of the htread poster's sort, 4X will not cut it, lots of RAM of astest sort board would take might help video PERFORMANCE some but not card itself.

Sorry, NOT CRAP, I've seen such things as almost doubling with 8X, in action. Period. With the right drivers, right monitor (like a 6ns LCD or Plasma screen, not at all cheap but available), etc.

The brand thta was posted later makes me think he got a card tuned for 4X with 8X a remote hope, but for a first response what I said was not crap. I've been studying video cards since AGP1X and before. Later, think I will lurk for a while.
    edited June 2005
    If what you're saying is true, anyway, he'd have to have some insane specs otherwise for your statements to hold up. I'm going to say that since he went with a 9600XT, and that he has a mobo that supports only 4x, he surely doesn't have the remaining specs to warrant an upgrade to 8x. I'd like to see some benchmarks that show an 8x-4x comparison that doubles video performance.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2005
    I would also report this to ATI customer service - let them know that magicmicro is selling greymarket (read: pirated) ATI hardware.

I agree! these sellers should not get away with selling softmodded items like that. I'm sure ATI will be very pleased to hear from you regarding this.
  • edited June 2005
    I've RUN both, and the numbers are definitively bigger if sufficient system resources are there to support the 8X cards. Put not enough RAM, slow system RAM, slow card RAM paired with a fast GPU, etc, and you get slow performance better suited for use with a 4 X board. Whole system determines results, and the motherboard is the core of the system-- period. Was being a short-median, and staying short-- to do justice to a decent card of the htread poster's sort, 4X will not cut it, lots of RAM of astest sort board would take might help video PERFORMANCE some but not card itself.

Sorry, NOT CRAP, I've seen such things as almost doubling with 8X, in action. Period. With the right drivers, right monitor (like a 6ns LCD or Plasma screen, not at all cheap but available), etc.

The brand thta was posted later makes me think he got a card tuned for 4X with 8X a remote hope, but for a first response what I said was not crap. I've been studying video cards since AGP1X and before. Later, think I will lurk for a while.

John, I'm also going to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this too. I've never heard of an os or drivers slowing down the gpu and mem clock speed on a desktop system for any reason, much less because of the lack of an 8X AGP slot. On every desktop vid card I've ever seen, the gpu and memory speed are programmed into the vid card's bios and you need to use some software program like coolbits or rivatuner to change gpu and memory speeds.

All that's happening here is that this company is ripping off themainjam with a jimmied vid card. I agree with prime and lemonlime about reporting this asshat vendor to ATI for selling this modded vid card. I can promise you that they will look into the matter and do something about it as this kind of stuff gives ATI a real bad name.
  • edited June 2005
    I benched the difference between AGP 8X and 4X earlier this year. There's no difference between the two performance wise.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19596&
    edited June 2005

Er...
    :scratch: