Hotlinking?

edited June 2005 in Internet & Media
Is there a way to stop hotlinking to a file, such as a RAR file. I have my FTP, and i want to possibly password protect my files, i know i can password protect pages with ASP but can i also do that with files? I want it so that even if they go to www.webpage.com/file.rar, it sends them to www.webpage.com/login.asp So that i can stop too many people form downloading a certain file.

Thanks,
Flamez

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Shared folder, in ftp, can be password protected, YES. Set it up on Windows or Linux\Samba\Apache so that folder is file access protected. Did you know you could use multiple shares, with the one that is being grabbed too much the only file in a share with a different password?????
  • edited June 2005
    Is there a way to do do it through say an ASP page, through a database of logins that i can specify?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    In APS, yes, you can have a login page. You're going to have to hand out logins to people, if that's not a problem. Do a Google for ASP login. You could use a flat file (text file) or an Access or MSSQL DB.
  • edited June 2005
    Ok, after i get the ASP page, I know u can make it login then go to another page, now, is there a way to make it FORCE you to login through the ASP to download a file. Handing out usernames and passwords isnt a problem for me.

So if someone types in www.webpage.com/website.asp, it gives them login.asp, i know thats possible, but is it possible to make it when someone types www.webpage.com/file.extention, it gives them login.asp, unless ofcourse they have infact logged in from the login.asp page