New PSU and no boot :(

edited July 2005 in Hardware
ok so i bought a new PSU today an OCZ powerstream 520w because i had an old 350w psu that came with my raidmax case. So installing it in my NF7-S 2.0 after it was installed i tried to turn it on and the fans jerk for a second and the green light flashes. then im left with a dead system only the red light is on. I have tried putting it on cardboard and resetting the CMOS (unless im resetting the CMOS wrong) it hasnt worked. also i know its not the PSU because i have tried it with my Dell it it workes just fine. the PC is also doing the same thing now with the 350w PSU. help anybody

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Try reseating your memory and video caed as they may have gotten bumped in the process of swapping PSU's.
  • edited June 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Try reseating your memory and video caed as they may have gotten bumped in the process of swapping PSU's.

how would i go about resetting them as well?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Gwool wrote:
    how would i go about resetting them as well?

Reseat: Take out and put back in, carefully and so they look like gold part is in all the way.
  • edited June 2005
    ok i did so and still nothing,and i have put in a diffrent ram stick and video card just to make sure and it still does the same thing with the diffrent parts in. when resetting the CMOS do i set it to the reset clear postition right?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Move the jumper to the reset position, wait a few seconds, move it back.

There has to be a bad connection to the mobo. Are you sure that your PCU fan is connected to the correct place. It sounds like a saftey is cutting it off.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2005
    leave the jumper its ORGINAL POSITION.

unplug the psu from the motherboard.

remove the battery. Wait 15 minutes.

put the battery back in. Now plug the psu back into the MB and MAKE VERY SURE its plugged in all the way. Make sure the power plug from the wall to the PSU is pushed in HARD.

Now try again.

DO NOT leave any steps out!

Tex
  • edited June 2005
    hehe ty tex & edcentric. i did think about the fan because when its not plugged in it does do the safty thing but it jerks when i turn it on so i assume that isnt the problem
  • edited June 2005
    ok...so i have checked the cables and everything is nicely in and same with ram and video card it is doing something diffrent but still not what i want. now the green light on the mobo flashes and the fans do a small jerk
    edited June 2005
    And you did what I posted above?

Tex
  • edited June 2005
    Tex wrote:
    And you did what I posted above?

Tex
    that i did. i noticed something the fan over nforce 2 stuff doesnt spin it is a safety thing after all im guessing. so lol next step is how to get that fan running.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    If there is a "feature" in your BIOS to halt the system if it doesn't detect the CPU fan running, you may have run into what used to be a very common problem.

You hit the power button, the CPU fan doesn't spin up fast enough to satisfy the BIOS that it is running right, then the system shuts down to "protect" the CPU. I had several (older) Abit boards that liked to pull this stunt on me.

Since a bios reset didn't help, about the only thing I'd suggest is trying to hit the reset button several times as soon as you hit the power button - as in virtually instantaneously. Sometimes this allows the CPU fan time to get up to speed and gets you past the problem. If this works, be sure and go straight into the BIOS and disable the CPU fan shutdown protection or you'll be right back where you started the next time you shut the computer down.
  • edited July 2005
    k. i will go ahead and try that.
  • edited July 2005
    ok im not going to give up just yet. the fan started spinning again, im really at a loss here... think i should RMA the board?
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The board should be looked into, yes.

Can you remove the psu from the system an plug in one fan on it and short the 2 pins the picture shows? If that starts the psu, it cannot be the psu at least. The pins to short are the green and ANY black wire on the atx.
  • edited July 2005
    heh ya i did so ( a friend told me to try that out) so i did it starts the PSU right up. and i plugged it into my pop's dell. it fired right up im happy with the PSU lol just not the mobo...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Good to know that the psu is still alive. Any old psu in the house you could test on the mainboard? That would really solve the mystery.
  • edited July 2005
    all i have in the house is a 350w PSU from my raidmax case and my 520w OCZ powerstream that i got not to long ago. its odd i tested the 350w on my mobo and it makes a funny sound and the green light next to the red flashes. with OCZ the fans jerk a little bit and the green light flashes and there is no noise. So i thought there might be something wrong with the 350w i guess there isnt i tested that one the way you MackanzOCZ showed above and in my dell both ways it turns on. and i have tested all other parts but the processor because my dell is intel chipset and P4 ect. and im glad to say everything works PSU,HDD,CD-ROM,Floppy,RAM,GPU
  • edited July 2005
    ok thanks everyone for there help. instead of RMAing the board because that costs 157$ (refunded but still) i will just upgrade to 754 or 939. thanks again for everyones time.
    edited July 2005
    When you RMA a board you can usually just send it to them and they send you another.

Tex
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    yeah, an RMA should only cost you shipping... what mobo do you have?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    It sounds to me like he was trying to do the cross-shipping RMA to speed things up. They basically charge you for the replacement board and ship it immediately, as opposed to waiting until they get your old board back first. Once they get the old board they refund the money.

If the board is worth $157 I would definitely get a replacement. Even if you still did the upgrade you could sell the old one.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Well lucky me, I seem to be having the same problem. The computer booted once, then I noticed that the GPU fan wasn't working so I took that out to repair it. I put it back together and got the fan jerk and nothing else. I tried Tex's solution and that didn't work, then I took it out of the case, put it on some cardboard and tried it on a different PSU and no luck. Moving Mem around seems to do nothing, Vid card in or out does nothing, cmos clear does nothing. Starting to sound like Mobo failure to me, but that would mean I zapped it somehow and I never felt anything and never touched anything but the vid card in between boots. Any other ideas guys?
    edited July 2005
    Ok, heres something. I kept messing with it on the cardboard and I decided to give something a shot. I turned it off completely at the PSU, held in the power button, then turned it on at the PSU and viola it booted, then it turned off. Did it again and took my finger off the power button once it got spinning and it kept running. Any ideas what is causing this?

//edit. Still messing with it. Is it possible the CMOS battery is bad? Will a bad cmos battery cause this to happen?
    edited July 2005
    Checked the CMOS battery and it seems ok. Reads 3.12 volts so thats not the problem.

edit// I give up, looks like RMA time :bawling:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2005
    What memory & CPU are you using? Also What are your PSU specs (Amps on the 12v, 5v & 3.3v rails)?. Both of my v1.0 9NDA3+ will boot just fine with a Newcastle (3500+) or Winchester (3000+ 3200+) CPU but wont boot with a Venice 3800+ CPU. The NB fan will jerk and then stop. I believe it's a v1.0 issue as others with v2.1 mobos are running Venice and Toledo CPUs.
    edited July 2005
    Proc is a Venice, ram is some Corsair value 400FSB. Its not the PSU because I've ran it on two different ones with the same results. Does Epox have any beta bioses that might work because I have reflashed with the latest one on the website.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2005
    Your board is not recognizing the Venice CPU. Mine, a v1.0, doesn't either. Supposedly the 04-15-2005 BIOS adds Venice support but your going to need a Newcastle or Winchester CPU to flash the BIOS. BTW what version is your mobo?
    edited July 2005
    It won't flash the bios because it needs to recognize the CPU or it won't flash the bios because I can't get to awardflash? I can get to awardflash no problem.

Mobo version is 2.x on the box.
    edited July 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    It won't flash the bios because it needs to recognize the CPU or it won't flash the bios because I can't get to awardflash? I can get to awardflash no problem.

Mobo version is 2.x on the box.

Huh? "I can get to awardflash no problem",

You said you couldnt boot right? You can't flash the bios if you can not boot.

It's the classic catch-22.

Tex
    edited July 2005
    Well anyways I thought I specified it up above but I guess not. I can boot it but it requires me to turn on the powersupply while holding down the power button, it runs fine after that. From what I read, it appears that there is an issue with certain motherboards and certain antec powersupplys. Basically the mobo tests for a certain voltage out of the box and it must receive this voltage within a certain timeframe or it shuts down. Something with these certain Antecs causes the mobo to not see this power quickly enough and it shuts itself down. I'll flash to that April bios just in case but I don't think its going to work since I can boot the board. The Venice issue seems to be unrelated to my problem, but I could be wrong.