Bid for the Rolex GMT-II

2»

Comments

• edited September 2003
    :celebrate
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I packed it ina small shipping tube. Tubes are a lot harder to crush than boxes.

It is a welf winder. You jeed to get up and mover around some. Remember, it is all the way down.
    Thanks, I am glad that everyone is pleased.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Sticks of DDR RAM, not personal parts. Rolled maps and graphics. A couple of examples.

As far as self-winding, I mostly just WIND it as my arm motion as in weight lifting is not done much(rotating wrist does not self wind it). It does manually wind also, like the REAL Globemaster-II. Yes it was probably all the way down, though it did arrive at about 6:15 PM here that day I got it and it was running. I talked to a Rolex dealer\repair shop about the motion needed to self-wind it, but lots of typing does NOT result in much self-winding so I use stem to wind it. But it keeps decent time, I set it to a computer that was set to the Cesium Waterfall clock in the Boulder, Colorado area(online).

John.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    edcentric said
    I packed it ina small shipping tube. Tubes are a lot harder to crush than boxes.

It is a welf winder. You jeed to get up and mover around some. Remember, it is all the way down.
    Thanks, I am glad that everyone is pleased.

Ed, how many times have we told you NOT to use the computer when you've been drinking...? :shakehead

;D
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    It does look pretty bad doesn't it?
    Well, sometimes you just have to take what you get.
  • edited September 2003
    edcentric said
    So AGeek, get the money to Server and get me your shipping address. When he tells me that he has it your watch will be on the way.

I guess that I can say now. It was a trip buying these. I bought four watches at once. These two, a dual time zone Cartier for myself and a Baby GShock for my daughter. The price that the lady wanted at first was 2800rmb ($340). I had a Chinese buddy with me to help negotiate. He loves this stuff. At one point the lady accused him of being a traitor since he was helping me and not her. In the end I paid 800rmb ($97) for all four. The two up here were about $30 each.

It's irritating. I've been told (by someone who visits India regularly) that Indian merchants routinely rip off outsiders, because they often don’t understand exchange rates, the language, and culture. It's just the way it works. Apparently it's no different in other parts of the world as well.

If that were to happen over here, you'd be slapped by so many lawsuits and loose your license so fast, it'd make your head spin.

Sorry to get OT, it's just that this is the sorta stuff that sets me off.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    But, people in India, if natives, settle often for half initial price (normal) and love to dicker politely, in soem cases to fill time. Other places that is often done, like HongKong, Taiwan, Mainland China, both Vietnams, etc. Extended expostulatory financial negotiations are common in the Far East, in Chinatown in Chicago, and in other places. Insult trading is an accepted thing in Far East as part of setting REAL price also-- if someone offeres to sell you his mother, cut price down to about 1\3 of previous offer, so long as it is NOT for the mother.

John (talking about semi-matrilinial societies).
  • edited September 2003
    TheSmJ said
    edcentric said
    So AGeek, get the money to Server and get me your shipping address. When he tells me that he has it your watch will be on the way.

I guess that I can say now. It was a trip buying these. I bought four watches at once. These two, a dual time zone Cartier for myself and a Baby GShock for my daughter. The price that the lady wanted at first was 2800rmb ($340). I had a Chinese buddy with me to help negotiate. He loves this stuff. At one point the lady accused him of being a traitor since he was helping me and not her. In the end I paid 800rmb ($97) for all four. The two up here were about $30 each.

It's irritating. I've been told (by someone who visits India regularly) that Indian merchants routinely rip off outsiders, because they often don’t understand exchange rates, the language, and culture. It's just the way it works. Apparently it's no different in other parts of the world as well.

If that were to happen over here, you'd be slapped by so many lawsuits and loose your license so fast, it'd make your head spin.

Sorry to get OT, it's just that this is the sorta stuff that sets me off.

uh hello! all those gray market item vendors in major cities like New York - exposed by television programs like 20/20

target is tourists who will leave and never come back to complain. No lawsuits or license revoked . . . until 20/20 but then they just use lawyers to make red tape while they keep on scamming.