SM17 likes to kill fans

qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
I noticed SM17 was down last night when I got home from a Canada Day vacation. After a couple reboots it became apparent she was overheating. I needed sleep so I left it, but today I reseated the HSF with some new AS and I also replaced the fan on the HS which was running a lot slow. That makes 2 60mm fans on the original HS and 3 80mm she's managed to kill. I lost a couple of units durin all the restarts. I also backed off the overclock to ~1.5GHz (from 1.6).

She just finished a frame so hopefully she's happy now.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    That's too many fans to be coincidence, or at least seems so to me. Were these fans already old when you installed them?
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2005
    Nope, they've also been powered off m/b and some of them were straight to 12V molex. She's now also got an Antec 350 W smartpower (low end but good enuf for a XP1600+).

The first two were a cheap 60mm that came with the HSF and the only 60mm I could find for cheap locally .. so those didn't surprise me. The last 3 have been a TT smart fan (RMA'd that sucker and got one back) and 2 antec cheapies ($0.99 on sale). Its definitely a lot of fan death but its really only 1 good fan which was probably defective. All the fans were new.

I do get a fair bit of dust here as I'm right next to the only road from a gravel quarry and I theorize that because I rarely change stuff around on SM17 she's more prone to buildup than my other computers (which rarely go a month without a change). There wasn't that much dust today tho. The two case fans in her have not died; only the ones on the HSF died. Its definitely wierd.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    It's starting to sound like it's not a fan problem, but a motherboard voltage problem - that is, the supplied current to the CPU fan. Even 'el-cheapo' fans shouldn't fail like that.
    edited July 2005
    The 3 80mm were run directly off molex's. The 60mm were off the header.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    mobo could be giving off bad voltages to everywhere even with a known good psu if it is failing...check 3pin headers with a multimeter. also test an empty molex with psu hooked up to mobo and then when same psu is jump-started away from the mobo and compare numbers.
    edited July 2005
    I'm hope to have time to check it out with a DMM this coming weekend.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    We've got plenty of fans in the SMx Project parts bin. Just let me know what you need.

If it turns out to be the PSU we should be able to cover that, too. :)
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for the info, I've got a ton of used fans I can harvest once I finish with the new spare fans. I'll let you know if it turns out to be the PSU.