One hell of a week for motherboards in my house!!!

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
As you may recall, I lost one board to a weird incident where a CD-ROM fried and took the board in my wife's machine with it in this thread. Well today really sucked even worse. I got home from work after spending most of the day outside where it was over 100F and it started to thunder and lightning. I thought it would pass and stay to the north of here but it got closer and closer then started to actually rain. We haven't had any rain at all for 33 days in the Austin area so I stayed outside to watch the rain enjoy the cool air and watch the lightning. There were several that were real bright and followed immediately by a huge clap of thunder. Well we have had a lot of storms and usually not bothered any of the household electronics, till now! I got my wife a UPS a few weeks ago and was going to get myself one this weekend. Well it was too late as I came in and found my machine not running but thought I wopuld just boot it up like the other times it has happened. No dice this time. It went into the continuous boot cycle with the memory fault long beep each time. I then pulled the panel and reset the cmos with the power on the psu off and tried again. Still no go. So I put it on the bench and pulled the dimms and tried them on my test board where they passed beautifully. Then I put them back in slots 2 & 4 where they were and no go. So I pulled #4 and left the one in #2 and it posted. So I moved it to all slots and found that 1 and 2 worked each by themself and together. But I could not get it to post with anything in 3 or 4. (You need 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for dual channel.) I also noticed that when I would turn on the PSU switch the fans would jump and I could hear a 'crackle' which would stop right away. Everything else seems to be fine or so I am hoping.

Does anyone have any other ideas or am I just back to RMA #2 in less than a week??? :shakehead :bawling:

What have I done wrong to have this happen???
:confused: Maybe it's just my week for god to pick on me. :scratch:

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    sorry to hear that larry ...rma it and save yourself the grief.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat,
    succintly put....that just plain sucks. :(

Unfortunately, it sounds like an RMA is your only choice.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    csimon wrote:
    sorry to hear that larry ...rma it and save yourself the grief.
    Wife's board was sent on Tuesday and I already have an rma number for this one. I will probably get this one out on Saturday. I am also going to see about upgradeing to the NF4-SLI DR. Not that I will use the SLI but I just want the 4 extra SATA ports and the goodies. The grief is just dealing with sending it in and waiting, the frustration of stuff being broken. This board is also an rma from when my sound quit on the first one. :wtf:
    edited July 2005
    I just sent my board after getting an RMA # for it and my wife's new replacement is on the way! At least one good system will be back up next week. :cool: I am also going to buy another UPS today so we will both be protected. I can also see that I will need to sell my current "spare" board and CPU that I keep for back up as it's socket A and then replace it with another socket 939 so I can keep up to speed.

Will Newegg let my upgrade and pay the difference or will they just replace it. I did ask in my RMA if I could upgrade as there is no mention on the product page of "replacement of same only".
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Larry, you've had a run-in lately with the motherboard god. You need to find out who this entity is and make a sacrifice. Hmm, on second thought, you already did the sacrificing. Oops... :rolleyes:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The Motherboard Gods Hath Been Appeased, Methinks :eek3:
    edited July 2005
    The Motherboard Gods Hath Been Appeased, Methinks :eek3:
    They're just plain pissed off! And they have chosen to smyte me. :wtf:

I know! It is that I gave mrs goat my old processor when I bought a new one insted of getting the same for both of us. The mobo god is really female and getting revenge on behalf of mrs goat. I can just feel it. :hiding:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    You might want to call Newegg Customer Service. They might allow you to do the upgrade.
    edited July 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    You might want to call Newegg Customer Service. They might allow you to do the upgrade.
    Thank you! ;)

I just sent them an email and will try calling if I need to. :thumbsup: