FAH causing slowdown??

DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
Hi all,

I've added FAH to quite a few machines since I started folding almost a month ago. Yesterday, I installed it on my ex-wife's computer and it's causing a fairly big slow down. Of course, since I'm her ex, she now thinks the program was something to crash her computer (not really but I can't say I haven't thought of that before ;D ).

Anyway, I don't know the specifics of her computer yet and I have no idea if she has spyware, a virus, adware, etc. She just mentioned that when she plays "minesweeper" that it is very slow and when she types the letters show up a second or so after she typed them. I had her kill the service and she said everything went back to normal. :scratch:

So.... any ideas before I check things out?

Thanks!

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    thats most likely not folding, but since its not a machine you're administrating anymore you should probably go ahead and remove the software, in case she encounters overheating issues or something of the like further down the line. if i had to guess, she has a spyware problem
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, I mentioned that she may have a spyware problem but she also has Adaware Pro that scans every time they reboot. :rolleyes:

I'll just have to check it out. Thanks!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    It definitely sounds like spyware, although you didn't mention how much ram she has. If she has a very low amount of ram, then folding might push ram usage "over the edge" so to speak so that her computer is use the pagefile instead of ram, thus slowing down the computer.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    ...If she has a very low amount of ram, then folding might push ram usage "over the edge" so to speak so that her computer is use the pagefile instead of ram, thus slowing down the computer.
    That would be my guess, assuming there is nothing nefarious (SVT type stuff) going on. Fortunately, RAM is dirt cheap right now. :)
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited July 2005
    Ok, I 'remote assisted' her computer today and found that her version of Ad Aware was 7 months old. Got the new version, got SpyBot 1.4, and HJT. Ran her Norton Antivirus and cleaned up the 'puter pretty well I think. Now, the computer is freezing up after running FAH for a while. I had a thought that maybe it is getting too hot and it's shutting down. I won't be able to verify that until tomorrow so I had my daughter shut down the FAH service for now. BTW, she has 364 Megs of ram so I don't think that would be the cause.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The CPU is probably clock throttling. That would explain the slow down, and also the speed up when F@H is turned off.