Good to be back, but camera died???

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Alrighty, i am soooo glad to be back from texas and mexico, damn heat and humidity....and the highways are friggin parkin lots, my advice dont go to texas for vacation, go to somewhere nice like colorado and get a cabin or something, but to my point.

I'm on vacation, right. and im taking pictures of all the stuff that I will never want to come back and see and I noticed that I could'nt see the little 5 sec preview after i took the shot, and I thought It was just because it was a kodak and the lcd sucked,

but i got back to the hotel room and started looking at the pictures I took and noticed that the last 30 or so pictures that I took were completely black except for the date stamp, so i took another shot useing the view finder and it was complely black to, so I checked if the automatic lens cap mechanism ma jigger opened up when I turned it on and the lens came out, and it was, so I tried to use the lcd as a viewfinder and take a pic but it was complely black to????

Did my CMOS sensor die??? or is there something else wrong with the camera, I'm gonna check how long we've had because I think there was a one year waranty on it, but we may of had it for two years now??? I cant remember, I just checked had it for two years this june, guess i can count a replacement out of the picture unless I pay for it.

The camera is a "kodak Ls443 digital zoom camera" to be exact... :scratch:

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The only good things I can say are two-fold:

First charge it overnight, see if the battery then powers things right. Batteries can die also, and some can take only a tiny charge after a while no matter how discharged they are if charged when almost full a lot, so see if battery replacement helps also.

Second, new cameras with much more power are available for the same money you spent, or LESS (digital camera tech has advanced a LOT in two years). Depends how you got it and where, what kinds of sales were going on that you took advantage of.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Visiting Texas during the summer is a bad idea. The temperatures are regularly >100 F so none of us ever go outside past the end of May until the beginning of September.

Sorry about your camera, it probably roasted.

-drasnor :fold:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    yeah...I was thinkin maybe the cmos sensor dies...but ill try pluggin it into the ac adapter and taking a picture. sense it does have a Lithium Ion batery and they are pretty notorious for decaying after a year or two
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    drasnor wrote:
    Visiting Texas during the summer is a bad idea. The temperatures are regularly >100 F so none of us ever go outside past the end of May until the beginning of September.

Isn't that the truth! I have been outside a lot lately and it is showing. I will post a pic in a week or so to show the new me (no longer Beluga white).

Also, the traffic here has been terrible lately.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I had the same camera (LS443) and in the end, the damned thing fell apart. I liked the camera when it worked, but kodak customer service was really crappy too. Here is a thread detailing my problems as well as Bothered's problems with the same camera.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Camera, my guess is that the battery is flakey. I have had similar issues. Also, step through the entire set-up. Some settings may have gotten screwed up.

Vacation, Went to the U.P. of MI over the Fourth. Beautiful wilderness unoccupied by people. And it is cool at night.
    edited July 2005
    Well the only thing good to say about texas was mexico, and I got some cool ideas to decorate my room, along with a lot of stuff at almost free prices... gota love mexico. I'm going to hook it up to the ac adapter and see if it will take a picture. If it will, I dont know If I want to get a replacement battery for it cause Ive had my eye on a powershot camera, prob and A85, nope I just put it on the ac adapter and still no picture...shouldve never got a pos kodak...I knew it... :shakehead I'm going with either canon or a small sony this time...my friends cybershot has never given him any probs.
    edited July 2005
    I wont be getting a kodak in the future I'm done with them...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Ed: The U.P. is amazing. It's like a bit of alaska that is accessible to us "city folk".

I got to drive through the UP last winter and all i can say is "WOW". Talk about unspoiled wilderness!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    My LS443 is still going strong. I did have the base unit fail so rang Kodak, they only made one per camera so couldn't supply a replacement, they suggested I get one off ebay! Which I did. I'm quite happy with it though.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    drasnor wrote:

yep waco in the summer sucks a.. butt
  • Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited July 2005
    I spent last summer in Houston. I enjoyed it. Texas in July beats Minnesota in January. ;D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    ahh... i would love for it to be that cold here. it all depends on what you're used to.
    edited July 2005
    I called kodak and they said for $100 I could have a replacement. Im thinkin just go with a canon A520, they looked like really nice cameras and not a bad price compared to what I paid for this one (400).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Don't pay $100 for that camera. Excellent technology is available now for good prices. BTW, for picture quality (sharpness, clarity, vibrancy), the ages-old technology glass thing called the lens is still the most important part of the camera. Without a quality lens, the technology won't make much difference. If you're looking for a digital camera with decent glass and good technology for a modest price, go Olympus. Their lenses historically have been second only to Leica and Nikon. If you're in the $400 range, consider a Nikon Coolpix.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    There have been some great rebate deals on Nikons that are being phased out. My wife's coolpix has been great.
    Check on dpreview.com
    Search by features and it will list all availabe cameras along with current prices.
    edited July 2005
    Yeah. but im not in the $400 dollar range, im more in the 4 MP range. I like the A520 and have read a lot of good things about it, and I was just in wal-mart and wow, I didnt realize how much smaller it is than my current camera, its about half the size and has more optical zoom. plus it runs off of AA's so I dont have to worry about expensive proprietery batteries dying on me anymore, and it has a good price online, only $215 versus $300 at wal-mart. think thats what im gonna get. Just need $100 more dollars and I can get camera, case and 256 mb of highspeed memory with it. so its a pretty good deal i think.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Make sure you check out your selected e-tailer at resellerratings.com before you purchase. There are many sleazy online camera stores.
    edited July 2005
    I'm pretty sure I can trust amazon, not like they are gonna disapear tomorow
    edited July 2005
    I make sure to buy all my stuff from reputable people that deal with a large volume of people.