Value System

edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hey, I'm new to building computers. I would really like to build a value system within the next few weeks for under $160. I basically need everything, i do though have an old 5.25" floppy drive i would like to have in it. i would also like it to have wireless capability. well, if anyone has suggestions please let me know. Thanks!!

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    For under $160 I don't think thats possiable espicaly not with wi-fi.
  • macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited July 2005
    OK, the 5.25" drive will work, as long as you have a floppy cable that will work with the drive. $160 isn't very much, I'm assuming you don't need a speed demon?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    no he's looking for a complete Value System. thats not TOTALLY unheard of... a p3 is what I can recommend best, but I wasn't comfortable telling him what all to get.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    What do you intend to use the computer for?

You might be able to piece together a cheap system like that, though I doubt it. Would you consider buying used parts, ala eBay?
    edited July 2005
    He would pretty much have to resort to eBay for just about everything.

I suggest an older Socket A Athlon or Duron, but that's just me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I'm gonna second that, and say you're almost definitely not going to be able to have ANY new parts in there. Your best bet might be to hit up a flea market or garage sale. Hell, I've even found decent computers laying on the street on garbage night that were salvageable. You'll probably be able to find a complete old system on ebay for around that much, but you really have to watch shipping on those things because old computers can be heavy.
  • edited July 2005
    Ok i have a deal lined up for $75 that includes: kb, mouse, monitor, ethernet, cd-rom AND cd burner, cd audio cable, case fan. that leaves me 85 for the rest.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    macdude425 wrote:
    ...I suggest an older Socket A Athlon or Duron, but that's just me.
    Not just you. :D

That would be my choice as well.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    so you'll need a case, motherboard, processor, ram, hard drive, and video card for $75...
    edited July 2005
    on-board video would probably suit..

or you could buy my mx440 64mb pci pwnzor of a video card :D
  • edited July 2005
    Ok i just found a 6GB HD! the hard drive is taken care of.
    edited July 2005
    Hopefully it isn't Maxtor. I should warn you, 6GB can get a bit cramped with 2000, so if you are gonna run XP, watch out.
  • edited July 2005
    Its a 6GB Western Digital
    edited July 2005
    macdude- hey.. if you wanna have a lightsabre fight over maxtor, its on. meet me by the swingset.

he'll probably put XP on it. I THINK (help me here prime) XP would be okay on 6gb.
    edited July 2005
    *sigh*
    Please, last time the principal took your saber and tried to kill me. Let's not go there again....

Anyways, it will be OK, but if he does any downloading or installs some really big programs, it may become a problem.
    edited July 2005
    oh just some AutoCAD. nothing big ;D;D
  • edited July 2005
    It's just basically a hobby.
    edited July 2005
    Evil M$.com says:
    Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional:

•PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

•128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

•1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

•Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

•CD-ROM or DVD drive

•Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
    edited July 2005
    Oh, OK. So what we said above should do if all you're gonna do is internet, email, and the occasional Arkanoid II: Revenge of Doh

EDIT: But I would not try and run XP on a system like that, you need room to breathe...
    edited July 2005
    if you're 50+, really smart, or macdude, you'll know what that Akranoid thing was. Otherwise, you're with me. :D

Only thing i can think to say is.. get a bigger hd, and an inexpensive ram/cpu/mobo (maybe P3, Athlon, or Duron) combo from ebay, and go from there.
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks everyone for your help! I know what i need and where to find it, The system most likely wont be under $160 but I dont want a useless piece either! Thanks Again!
    edited July 2005
    sure np. I'll mail you your bill. $50.60 ;D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Jeromeumhb wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your help! I know what i need and where to find it, The system most likely wont be under $160 but I dont want a useless piece either! Thanks Again!
    Jerome, we have many members here posting threads about specifications for new, high-power machines. I really like your approach. In some ways, this is much more interesting than purchasing the latest, greatest parts. Please keep your thread updated so that we can follow your creation.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    i have a dell pIII 733mhz, 256mb ram, 8mb ati rage pro agp video, onboard stereo audio, 10/100 ethernet, 56k modem, 52x cd-rom, 8x cd-rw, 200w psu, and dell case. cost = $50 + shiping (no harddrive)

also have a 1.1ghz celeron, supermicro mobo, 384mb ram, 32mb tnt2 pci video, creative 16bit audio, 10/100 ethernet, 56k modem, 8x cd-rw, 250w psu. cost = $60 + shiping (no harddrive or case , but i will glady put it into the dell case if you want)

I can post some pics if interested. both systems fully tested, stable, and in good working order. had both of them running xp no problem. PM me if interested...