Harddrive suggestions

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Ok, I got my first-ever paycheck the other day (woohoo!) and, well, I want to blow it :D It won't be a habit, don't worry, I'd just like to get something [somewhat] nice with it. It was only for less than a week's worth of work, so it was ~$150, but I've also got other money. So don't let that entirely stop you.

I need another harddrive. I've got two 120gigs that are full to the brim (one literally has 300 megs left on it). So it's time for another harddrive. Here's where it get sucky.

I only have two SATA slots on my board. So that means either the new harddrive has to be IDE, one of the old ones needs to go on an adapter (which I've have to buy), or I just scrap one of the old ones. If I do that, however, I'm still losing space. I'd gain more, but not quite as much, obviously.

Requirements (because I'm a picky bitch about noise): It can't click. I've come to despise my clicking harddrive. It also can't whine (if you can hear a sound that's JUST at the top of your hearing range, it's insanely annoying). Both of my current drives do at least one, and it's annoying. So yeah, totally silent would be sweet.

My first drive, according to HDDLife is at 36%. I don't know how reliable that is. Is that enough to consider scrapping it? The new drive I'd like to be 250-300 gigs (or more, if it's cheap), and be around (but not limited to) $150. It also needs to stand up to a lot of activity - I always have music playing, as well as Azureus running, and often times run ISOs (movies, usually) off that drive. It needs to take a beating. Is the 16 meg cache worth it (I've been glancing at these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=354%3A7760&PropertyCodeValue=355%3A7776&PropertyCodeValue=359%3A7788&PropertyCodeValue=360%3A7800&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=14&Submit=Property )

Sorry for the long post, but I really need your help, guys (and gals)! Ditch old drive, just buy new one, get adapter... I'm really not sure what to do.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    My impressions of current IDE, 8MB cache, 7200 RPM hard drives:

Western Digital - rock solid reliable but a little 'buzzy'
    Maxtor - (Ultra Series), fast, and a little less noise than the WDs
    Hitachi - (successor to IBM Desk Star) fast, very quiet, only click is on HDD
    recognition at computer POST. Supposedly, Hitachi completely fixed the
    early death problems IBM had with the Desk Stars. I just bought a
    Hitachi 200GB drive for my daughter as an external backaup. I am
    impressed with its smooth, fast operation. Even outside of her
    computer, it makes less sound than my internal Maxtors and WDs.
    It is also much quieter than the 160GB Seagate Barricuda that serves
    as the external backup device for my home computers.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2005
    Thanks, Leo. I assume those are all from the relatively new versions of those brand, right? Like not years and years ago, so they might've changed it.

Anyone else got any suggestions? Is the 16 meg cache worth it for playing games and music on?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Right, the oldest drives are the WDs and Maxtor Ultras, circa July 2003. The Seagate is approximately one year old and the Hitachi I just bought two weeks ago. The reliability statement is based on my use of WDs for 10 years. The WDs I've used have always been a little buzzy, but not annoyingly so. My Seagate is a good performer, and works hard, but my overall 'feel' is that for quietness I prefer the Maxtor Ultras (fluid bearings). I am really impressed with that new Hitachi. It just has a very silky feel to it, with quietness to match. The IBM DeskStars (total 2) I had before were that way - smooth and whisper quiet; but they unfortunately were not immune to the "DeathStar" attributes of the nickname.