Need 939 mobo opinions.

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I'm gradually picking up components to make a nice rig with 2 7800GTX cards in SLI, and I've decided to jump off the INtel ship for this build and onto an AMD. The 939's looks like this years chip to get, so thats where I'm heading. What I need to know now is what kind of MOBO is going to be right for this system.

Been looking at DFI, but recient reviews and some posts around here have me wondering if thats the best way to go ATM. Anyhow, I'm looking to spend around $150-175 on a mobo.

Whats your opinion?

Thank!

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    Asus nforce4 sli delux
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    abit has a new fatality sli board comming out thats suppose to be pretty good, could look into that. not sure how much its going to be though
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Unless something has gone tragically awry, I still think the DFIs are the best.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    Abits board doesnt OC for crap either. I would go for a DFI board over an Abit board nowadays.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    Dfi or Asus.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    In the reiews and benchies the boards are as follows, which is the average of all since their introduction back in January;
    1. DFI (best overclocker and secon in most stock speeds)
    2. MSI (second best overclocker and fastest stock speed)
    3. Epox
    4. Asus (noticeably slower than the first three)

Don't buy anything not on the above list, especially Gigabyte.
    edited July 2005
    I guess it depends on the reviewer.;)

I read a roundup from Anandtech I think it was and the DFI and EPoX were the fastest at stock speeds overall.

Its just the Ultra version of the nForce4 chipset but they will perform just like the SLI boards.
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2465
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited July 2005
    I went with the Asus board, mainly because I havent done any OCing before as I've always used Intel boards with my pentiums. I need something that I can learn OCing on, and I'm afraid that getting a DFI board is maybe pinching off more then I can handle this early in the game.

I've never used any board outside of Intel for my own rigs, mainly cause I value stability over speed...but I want to be able to equal out speed and stability now :)
  • edited July 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    Abits board doesnt OC for crap either. I would go for a DFI board over an Abit board nowadays.

Ive noticed that one too, Abits really dont overclock like they used to, back when the NF7-s version 2 and the 2g was on top they were some quality boards.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Dem768 wrote:
    Ive noticed that one too, Abits really dont overclock like they used to, back when the NF7-s version 2 and the 2g was on top they were some quality boards.
    That's because the good guys from Abit now work for DFI. :D
  • edited July 2005
    That could be.
    edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    That's because the good guys from Abit now work for DFI. :D

That guy would be Oskar Wu. And yes after the NF7-S came out he left for DFI and then the Lan Party Rev B came out and it was the best OCing board available. Notice a trend?
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    i just got a Asus A8n and a X2 4200 ordered, ill let ya know how it works when i get the video card for it, lol
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    7800gtx in SLI... wow this rig will cost a very pretty penny :cool:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Hmm, interesting news about Abit. Shame, really. Abit at least had a reputation for overclocking. System 1 below is testament to Abit's (former?) overclocking capabilities. And that's an OC on air. It's been to 3600 before (on air) but would not stay in Windows for more than two or three seconds.
    I've never used any board outside of Intel for my own rigs, mainly cause I value stability over speed...but I want to be able to equal out speed and stability now
    My IC7 is the most stable and the best overclocking board I've ever owned. As I said about present Abit, assuming it's true - what a shame. :bawling:
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited July 2005
    7800gtx in SLI... wow this rig will cost a very pretty penny :cool:

Around $1800.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Another vote for DFI, but I'd be careful with Maxtor SATA drives and certain types of Corsair memory. I had problems with both until I went to Western Digital and G.skill TCCD.
    edited July 2005
    I'd go for DFI also. I'm planning on getting one when I upgrade to 939 as well.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    well for all you rich people that can afford to constantly upgrade your computers...I'll sit here and pout about how my 64 2800 SOCKET 754 is still chuggin along ;D;D;D
    edited July 2005
    well for all you rich people that can afford to constantly upgrade your computers...I'll sit here and pout about how my 64 2800 SOCKET 754 is still chuggin along ;D;D;D

and I'll further add to that by saying my intel CELERON AKA CELLERY 2.4ghz socket 478 is still (with heafty effort) chugging along!!!!

I am trying dilligently to save up about $300 to upgrade to 939!!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    ya i need a new computer, i cant live without sli...
  • edited July 2005

At least your machine is 64-bit capable. Chances are I wont be making the dive into 64-bit land for another year at least.
  • edited July 2005
    Which board do u think would b best for a 64 x2 4400? Im gettin 1 soon as im on a super old p3 800mhz :cool:
  • edited July 2005
    DFI Lanparty SLI-DR
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2005
    ;D;D;D

I just need some free time to assemble my NF4 Ultra D 3500+ & X850XTPE and NF3 Ultra D, 4400+ & AIW X000XT computer upgrades. After that some (more) cheap S939 mobos will hit the deal depot! :D:D:D
    edited July 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    I just need some free time to assemble my NF4 Ultra D 3500+ & X850XTPE and NF3 Ultra D, 4400+ & AIW X000XT computer upgrades. After that some (more) cheap S939 mobos will hit the deal depot! :D:D:D

ah! i just NEED SOME TIME to put together all my pwnzor parts... :p:wtf:

YGPM