Adding 1 GB of ram - can I keep dual channel?

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I've got 2x512 MB sticks in my nf7-s (2.0). I want to put in a third stick, of 1GB. All three will be from the same manufacturer (Mushkin), and the same model. Will I be able to run the ram in dual channel mode?

Comments

• MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Short answer - No

Long Answer - No

Dual channel is basically virtually lining up 2 sticks of ram end to end giving you 128 bit access instead of the 64 bit the dimm is built with.

Now this is only virtual. Can't do that if you only add 1 more 64 bit access stick.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    The long answer is maybe, not "No."

If the three sticks together have an even number of banks, the answer is yes. If they have an odd number, the answer is no.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2005
    so in an NF7 or in fact any nforce2 board I can think of, the answer is no
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    The long answer is maybe, not "No."

If the three sticks together have an even number of banks, the answer is yes. If they have an odd number, the answer is no.

You'll have to show me this one Thrax. It has nothing to do with banks. It has to do with access lines. A stick has 64 bit access. Dual channel allows the memory controller to simulate 128 bit access by using 2 sticks in a virtual array. How can you maintain this access mode by throwing in 64 extra address lines ?

Heck most chipsets won't do it with 4 sticks. 3 is not gonna happen.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    in my case, the answer was a short yes. I bought a 1 GB stick of muskin, to match the 2x512s in my mobo. I plugged the 1 GB stick into slot 3, the other two into 1 & 2. I turned on the pc and the bios said dual channel.
  • edited July 2005
    Actually, the answer is a resounding "yes". I've checked with abit on this.

The problem is, the nf2 chipset does NOT support 3 DIMMs above DDR333 (check the manual if you don't believe me), so you may expirence some memory errors it you bring it up too high. I know I did.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I've not seen any (yet) but I've not taken the time to really stress the system.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Let's see, these answers are already taken: Yes, No, Maybe

I was going to venture an answer, but no new options are available. :rolleyes: