...And now my computer wont turn on

edited July 2005 in Hardware
I was happiliy shutting down my PC to pull out my RAM which I am sending off in the mail.

It shut down, I pulled out the power cable, took off the case side and put the case on it's side.

Now with the NF7-S, the RAM slot clips can't open whilst the 6800 is in as they would hit against it.

So I get my 6800 out with a small bit of effort getting the little AGP clip down, put it over on a stack of boxes in the corner of my room.

I opened up DIMM1 and pulled out the said RAM, I put the second stick in DIMM1 and put the 6800 back in.

I stood up the case again and plugged the power in, the mobo light came on, I hit the button and my computer turned on for a split-second, not enough to spin up any fans even, I saw the faint light from the 6800 fan and it was off again, with the mobo light still on.

I get a beep sound whilst it is on for the split second too.

I doublechecked all power cords and tried again, I had to pull out the power calbe and plug it in to get any other response, same result.

I pulled out the watercooling, put the HSF on, unplugged fans except for CPU, unplugged the secondary HDD and the DVDRW.... All that was connected was one HDD and the CPU fan and everything on the mobo. - Still same result.

Tried a different PSU, no improvement there either.
Put the RAM back in, and tried different combinations, no go.

The 6800 is not dead as the fan still starts to spin and the LED goes for a sec, the CPU has no visible damage whatsoever either, no cracks, bent pins or chips to be seen.

The only thing I can think of is a short under the mobo, maybe a magnet from the watercooling went underneath when I sat the case on its side or a screw or two found their way in somewhere.

What do you think?

Comments

• maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited July 2005
    try resetting the cmos
  • edited July 2005
    Ok shall do when I get home, but I'm not sure it even gets far enough to register what is what.
  • edited July 2005
    Wow, I hope you didn't short something. Did you ground yourself beforehand?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I had that problem when I first assembled my computer. I forgot what I did to make it do that or make it not. I think yelling at the computer and jiggling all of the power cable might've helped. :wtf:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    M~bad is on the right track. Pull the CMOS jumper and leave it out for half a minute. Try rebooting. If a no-go, repeat. If still a no-go, remove the CMOS battery for several minutes.

Double check all your cables, even though you probably didn't dislodge any of them. Sometimes just removing an IDE cable head from the motherboard port can cause the need for a BIOS reset... at least that's happened to me on more than one occasion.
  • edited July 2005
    Unplug the PSU (from the wall), hit the power button. THEN plug the PSU back in, and hit the power button again.

Sounds weird, but this old Super Socket 7 board I have requires me to do this for some reason every time I shut it down. The process above allows the computer to actually turn on and POST.
  • edited July 2005
    Hey guys, thanks for the input.

I found what it was, my 6800 is stuffed!!

god damn it!