New purchase for me!

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hi, I just purchased this 19" CRT monitor and These cheap but nice 5.1 speakers. CompUSA had the speakers for 20 bucks cheaper after MIR, but I dont trust CompUSA's mail in rebates at all. I was so close to buying the Hyundai 19" 8ms LCD but I decided to go with a good CRT, as they are best for gaming. I listened to the speakers at CompUSA and im sure I pissed some people off ;) but they were nice and I made the purchase. What do you guys think?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    you can't go wrong purchasing something that you've tried and like the sound/view of. Not having heard the speakers myself, the only thing that's not great about them is the speaker wire is part of the speaker, and also uses a phono jack to connect, making it hard to get better wire or fix it if it breaks.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    but I dont trust CompUSA's
    I've probably had 10 or more rebate deals at CompUSA - manufacturers' and CompUSA stores'. All were honored and paid within the time promised, six to eight weeks.
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited July 2005
    really? Ill definetely take that into consideration! I've heard otherwise......
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    you can't go wrong purchasing something that you've tried and like the sound/view of. Not having heard the speakers myself, the only thing that's not great about them is the speaker wire is part of the speaker, and also uses a phono jack to connect, making it hard to get better wire or fix it if it breaks.

Not very. I've got the Z-5500's, which use the RCA plugs. I guess (I think?) they went back to regular speaker wire for the generation after mine. Meh. I've owned quite a few stereo systems, and I have to say, I actually prefer this.

Why? It looks clean. Better than ugly speaker wire all over. It's simple to extend (far simpler than speaker wire, actually). It has better shielding (not that it matters too much, but still). It's plently long, unless your wiring up your bloody house. The only thing I agree on is if it breaks. Then you can't just rip it out and put new ones in. You could probably send it back to Logitech (I guess they're really good with that) or just hack it together yourself.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I took the crappy plugs & wires off my klipsch 4.1s, and there was a noticeable difference for me. That probably had to do with the fact that the wire was at least 18 gauge, and the plugs were mini jacks, but still... One of my friends has a lesser model of the logitechs (not really sure which), and he's stuck with crappy wire because it's wired directly into the back.

As for returns - yeah, you can always return it, but I really prefer to fix things myself, and I enjoy doing it. And it kinda seems to me that too many things these days are built with the idea that if it breaks, you can just buy a new one, and throw the old one away. Reduce/Recycle/Reuse. Bitches.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    yeah compusa has been fine for me, before they effin moved away without a SINGLE DAY'S NOTICE... :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    I've probably had 10 or more rebate deals at CompUSA - manufacturers' and CompUSA stores'. All were honored and paid within the time promised, six to eight weeks.
    really? Ill definetely take that into consideration! I've heard otherwise......
    CompUSA had some serious customer relations problems a few years back. Getting rebates were like pulling teeth; returning an item was akin to facing the The Spanish Inquisition.

I'll give them credit for recognizing the problem and taking action to correct it. Everything I've heard for the last couple years has been very positive.

As far as the speakers, my daughter needs a set and I was looking at that very model just today. They look awfully hard to beat for the price. :thumbsup:
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited July 2005
    "was so close to buying the Hyundai 19" 8ms LCD but I decided to go with a good CRT, as they are best for gaming"

wow i bet that would have been great for gaming.wonder what the contrast was..

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35141
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    CompUSA was actually in trouble for not returning all rebates to customers awhile back. Its not technically CompUSA, another company handles their rebates.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I just cashed 3 CompUSA MIR checks. No problem filling out the paperwork or getting them back in a timely manner.
  • edited July 2005
    Agreed here. Haven't had a problem as long as you follow their instructions to a T.