Not too shabby for valueram!

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited October 2005 in Hardware
I've had a stick of Kingston Valueram (the cas3 cheap stuff) for a couple of years now. I noticed that the IC's are Samsung TCCC. One letter short of the 'good stuff' so naturally I had to light a fire under this stick.

Kingston Valueram 3-3-3-8 2.6V

The below shots are with no divider, and command per clock enabled. Timings are still at SPD. Doesn't do much past 220 with anything lower than cas3.

DDR500 without a sweat. Passed loop upon loop of Memtest86+. It gets just shy of 260MHz when some errors start popping up. Didn't want to put any more than 2.8v through it though, I doubt this stuff was intended to take much abuse on the vdimm side of things.

Pleasant surprise to say the least..

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Holy crap! Yeah, not bad for Valueram ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Kingston is known for consistent quality.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    I used to have some of that stuff and it was great, but problems suddenly started arising with it. Apparently it was compatibility issues with the chipset on the motherboard and the Kingston ram.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Heh, typical. The only Kingston RAM that I have ever bought wouldn't operate any higher than what it was spec'ed at, i.e. it was pants.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2005
    And the point of those posts was???? :shakehead :whatever:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    ozylink wrote:
    is thus an amd 4rum?

No, this is Short-Media
    ozylink wrote:
    don't bee_leave people still get sucked in by tha advert cpu speed.......

Ahh, need I say more?
    ozylink wrote:
    don't think ya different or better...ya just following a lost cause

Kingston Value Ram is a lost cause?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    what tha heck... triple-pointless-posting? :shakehead
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2005
    I have 2 sticks of kingston value ram 2x512..

both will run at 2 3 3 6 stable ive not OC'd them but they do run at way tighter timings then they are spec'd to. Its good stuff. Outta 500 sticks, 1 bad one... thats awesome...
  • edited July 2005
    w00t! nice!

NewRAM.jpg
    edited October 2005
    I just thought I'd resurect this thread, because I am still amazed with this value ram. Just when I thought that 250MHz was impressive..

The strange thing: I had to undervolt this memory to get the below result. 2.5V seems to be the sweet spot with this ram, anything more only worsens the situation, even with active cooling on it.

270MHz 3-4-3-0 1T @ 2.5V.. 30 minutes Memtest86+ test 5/8 stable.

Going to do some long term stability testing soon, but it appears stable so far. Priming it right now.. :buck:

$49CDN.. can't beat that deal.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2005
    NICE!!

I might have some of this in my parents computer. I know there is some ValueRam type stuff in there.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited October 2005
    wow, that's incredible....do you think the tras of "0" helped get you there? or is it the "trc" or the "dram idle timer" that did the trick?
    edited October 2005
    ryko wrote:
    wow, that's incredible....do you think the tras of "0" helped get you there? or is it the "trc" or the "dram idle timer" that did the trick?

Surprisingly, this ram did not react much to loose 'minor' timings. Setting ras to cas to 4 seemed to be just about all thats required to pass 250MHz. I had to set the Drive strength to 3 to get stability (which I believe is a weaker drive strength). The tras of 0 seemed to be easier on the memory when I was pushing the limits. 6,7 or 8 caused more memtest errors when I pushed it hard.
    edited October 2005
    Unfortunatly, 270 did not turn out to be prime95 stable in Windows. I can't believe this POS ram can't even do 270. I demand results! Oh wait, this is value ram, I guess 265 will do :D:buck: