Any PCs the size of the Mac Mini?

metomeyametomeya New
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Ya, are there any PCs at the size of the Mac Mini at all?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I have seen one that a really small cube but I don't think the performance is there. There's also mini itx.

borgapplianceminiitxcasemodcoo.jpg
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    aren't the newer mini-itx sysems comparable in speed to a mac mini?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2005
    The Mini AOpen
    paradox.jpg
    paradox2.jpg
    Expect it in september.

Its powered by a pentium M so it will use very little power and be quiet powerfull.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    The Mini AOpen
    paradox.jpg
    paradox2.jpg
    Expect it in september.

Its powered by a pentium M so it will use very little power and be quiet powerfull.

I caught something about "power" in there. :p
  • edited July 2005
    Hey, cool find, Grayfox. :thumbsup:

That should smoke a mac mini in power. The P-M is a really powerful proc for it's thermal output. If they can keep the price reasonable Aopen should sell a bunch of them.
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited July 2005
    awesome, now I've found my new infrared/home control unit! :D

Will they be cheap like the mac mini? I think they go for about 500. :cool:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If you're looking for something the size of a mac mini, and at the cost of a mac mini, why don't you want a mac mini?
  • edited August 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    If you're looking for something the size of a mac mini, and at the cost of a mac mini, why don't you want a mac mini?

can you run any 3d game or final cut pro in your mac mini, or just run any two renderer software, or just run adobe photoshop cs with adobe illustrator, it will freeze and go in to wait mode till 15 min. i got this machine for just demo and refuse to buy, even for my home. actually size is not impressive, it strucure says this machine can't go fo a long run. it also have problems with cooling,and ofcourse if memorry dosent get vent it means you need a big supply of DDRs... i am not a single machine user i have a full review of. Power mac g4, g5, emac, imac, imacG5. So what you say :shakehead
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    viper268 wrote:
    can you run any 3d game or final cut pro in your mac mini, or just run any two renderer software, or just run adobe photoshop cs with adobe illustrator, it will freeze and go in to wait mode till 15 min. i got this machine for just demo and refuse to buy, even for my home. actually size is not impressive, it strucure says this machine can't go fo a long run. it also have problems with cooling,and ofcourse if memorry dosent get vent it means you need a big supply of DDRs... i am not a single machine user i have a full review of. Power mac g4, g5, emac, imac, imacG5. So what you say :shakehead
    I don't think the mac mini was actually made for that heavy load. That's why they offer the Power Mac.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited August 2005
    viper268 wrote:

fair enough

but

will this aopen thing be able to do all that?

i dont know, i am genuinely asking a question, not trying to be smart
    edited August 2005
    Yes it will it will do more.

It will have a mobile intel processor a 1.7ghz mobile is about the same as a 3.4ghz desktop version.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited August 2005
    impressive

anyone know a rough price?
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited August 2005
    Uh its still not out yet is it?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    It will have a mobile intel processor a 1.7ghz mobile is about the same as a 3.4ghz desktop version.
    The Pentium is one of Intel's all-time best CPUs, but equivalent to a desktop processor twice its speed? :scratch:
    edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    The Pentium is one of Intel's all-time best CPUs, but equivalent to a desktop processor twice its speed? :scratch:
    Wow I wrote 3.4ghz :eek: .

I ment 3.2ghz

edit: No idea on price but I would say more then a mac mini.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Wow I wrote 3.4ghz :eek: .

I ment 3.2ghz

edit: No idea on price but I would say more then a mac mini.

Curious. That GHZ to PR rating you're saying it will have outpaces even the Athlon64 FX chips...
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The Pentium M is an outstanding chip. Based on the Taulatin P3, if I remember correctly (which was so good it had to be dicontinued so people would buy the crappy first-run of P4s)
    edited August 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    The Pentium M is an outstanding chip. Based on the Taulatin P3, if I remember correctly (which was so good it had to be dicontinued so people would buy the crappy first-run of P4s)
    Yup no netburst :)

Basicly intel tryed to make the most effcient chip they could ... and it worked :).
  • edited August 2005
    But with the Pentium M they did take some of the best ideas of netburst and used them in the proc, like the quad pumped fsb.
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited August 2005
    Interesting thing about the Pentium M, I saw a review I think in either PC World, or PC Magazine rating the top computers (or I think they may have been media centers).

Voodoo had one with the Pentium M in a desktop, and it destoried the other top end chips (Intel P4, and AMD) in the ratings!
    :scratch:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    P-M is great, as long as you don't go for pure CPU power applications, like games.

Anandtech http://anandtech.com/systems/ is reviewing verious Small Form Factor systems. Some look very nice. They aren't as small as a MiniMac, but they are full powered machines.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    just got a Geeks email for this one - HP P4 1.8GHz 384MB 40GB CDRW Mini-Desktop w/XP Pro
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    wow...looked like they tried to cram to much into to little. I dont know if i would have any other use for it than to use it for an htpc, but it doesnt have a tv encoder on it.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    lookie here....comes out this month from aopen.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=249
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited September 2005
    Is there anyway to connect several aopen computers like that together?

8 stacked up, it will be like a mini-server.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    install linux on them, then cluster them together. of course it's not easy to do and i have no idea even where to begin, but you asked ;D
    edited September 2005
    metomeya wrote:
    Is there anyway to connect several aopen computers like that together?

8 stacked up, it will be like a mini-server.

Yes its called a network cable :) .
  • edited November 2005
    ryko wrote:
    lookie here....comes out this month from aopen.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=249

Looks great but I fear by the time it makes it to market in time Apple will have released their new Mini's with Intel's new next generation Pentium M Yonah processor. Dual core Yonahs will rock for speed and low power. I already have my eyes on their San Francisco event in January as everyone says they are ready to release their Intel Macs way ahead of schedule. Meroms are said to be in the works for Apple as well.

If you haven't tried the Intel version of OS X ahem albeit a bit shadowy to do at the moment, this thing is really fast on Intel processors. It does keep my impatient mind happy while waiting for January.
    http://www.osx86project.org/

I like the small form factor a lot but the build quality and individual component quality on the Apple impressed me from what I have seen of it in the stores, my nasty humming sound card is making internet chat a bit unbearable and I don't want to spend any money until after the January event to see if I want to take the plunge on one of these things.

Intel has some stupid new hardware it seems that will let Apple lock people who have a regular old pc from running OS X but let the macs with intel processor run windows, linux or anything else in addition to OS X. Kind of a stinker for them to do that =/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Intel has some stupid new hardware it seems that will let Apple lock people who have a regular old pc from running OS X but let the macs with intel processor run windows, linux or anything else in addition to OS X. Kind of a stinker for them to do that =/
    Not exactly surprising. It's quintessential Steve Jobs - proprietary to the max. If Apple released OSX for other platforms, Apple's computer business would be dead within two years. Style and quality only go so far. Style and OSX are really the only unique factors Apple computers have. And yes, that's a good thing, if you are willing to pay the premium for it.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Did you see the update on the last linked article? 1.3 Celeron & 256MB RAM. Meh. They stated that as a base model but didn't mention available upgrades, ie. to a Pentium M.