What to do with a bunch of pentium 233 Dell OptiPlex machines?

2»

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Okay, revised counts:

I have a final count. I am thrilled to discover that the majority of the machines are actually quite nice.

12 P3/933s with 512mb of ram/20gb HD
    5 P2/450s with 256mb of ram/10gb HD
    3 P1/233s with 64mb of ram/4gb HD
    8 Cel/533s with 128mb of ram/10gb HD

So really I only have three of the craptastic ones. They'd make great routers - they have onboard 3com NICs and PCI riser cards so you could easily shove another nic in there.

So really the thread becomes invalidated because I've got plans for the nicer ones. Thanks for the suggestions though
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    those 3 craptastic ones would probably sell for parts - not much, but better than nothing
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    wow......that's way better than you first thought. good find! :D
  • edited July 2005
    You could give them to me as bonus payment for hauling 28 computers and 27 monitors down three floors, one set of stairs, and into my car for an 8 mile drive, and pileing them in your office ALL on my own. Not to mention doing about 10 times over. :mad:

LOL. Seriously, they'd make great Smoothwall boxes. I'll ask Tony if he wants them.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Wow. Talk about luck.

We just got 8 more from the same client. Three of them are Dell Precision 340 workstations with 1GB of RDRAM. The ram alone is worth like $600! :eek2:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Fold...Fold...Fold...SMx Project...Fold...Fold...Fold...
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited January 2006
    They'd be good to use as linux boxen for smoothwall or something that that or for a n00b to use for networking labs and such.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm working on a Dell Precision 330.... 1.7 - Pentium 4... 1 GB of RDRAM... It's not a bad folder.....
  • edited January 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    I'm working on a Dell Precision 330.... 1.7 - Pentium 4... 1 GB of RDRAM... It's not a bad folder.....

That (minus 512 megs of ram) is what I got out of the deal.:wink:
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Sorry if im the reanimator of dead threads, but if you pay for shipping, my school could most likely strip em and use em for parts...i go to a school that does that kinda thing

http://www.croomsaoit.scps.k12.fl.us/