Geforce 6200 Overclocking... Unlocking Pipelines

Comments

• MrPMrP
    edited July 2006
    thanx for the reply.
    i actually worked out how to bypass the "test settings" when using rivatuner and set the mem to 550, but there was a tiny bit of artifacting, so i set it back down to 525. thanx for the help anyway.
  • edited July 2006
    My Evga 6200 only has 4 pixel pipelines, grouped into sets of 2... strange.

Is there a version of coolbits or similar that works with 91.31 drivers or do I need to downgrade?

THX
  • edited August 2006
    hey. i got the pny 6200 64bit 128mb and, when i use riva tuner it says, disabled and hardware masked, thats bad right? , then when i press okay it says in the active pixel vertex units configuration bar it wsays 8pp,3vp

then i press okay, and at the main page where you click the pulldown bar to get the icon menu it says 4pp again, doesnt your guy's say 4x1? lol whys mine different?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited August 2006
    i got a geforce 6200 128 mb from pny. i got a question about unlocking the pipes. how come when i tried to unlock the pipes i got it to 2 pipes other than 8 it freaked me out i was useing the the driver 91.31 anybody got a clue whats going on?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I THINK if it's turbo cached it doesn't have those extra pipes open(different chip), so in effect you might be halfing the pipes instead of doubling.
  • doomddoomd California
    edited August 2006
    ooohh i get it but i dont have turbo
  • edited September 2006
    I have 6200 8 agp 512mb nvidia card i overclocked it with coolbits to 434/704 the highest. So can u provide me with a link to unlocking the 4 extra piplines using rivatuner please?
  • doomddoomd California
    edited September 2006
  • edited November 2006
    I also seem to end up reducing pipelines to 2 instead of increasing to 8 by following the instructions at doomedpc with a PNY Geforce 6200 256MB. He says "If your screen looks like the picture below, Congratulations! Your card now has all of it's pipes unlocked." But it's less than clear what he's referring to. The screenshot from 3dmark? Me thinks not.
  • edited November 2006
    Just discovered that I have the NV44A chip, meaning I have no pipes to unlock. Woe is me. You may find you're in the same sorry predicament, doomd.
  • edited December 2006
    I have a 6200a 256mb card that lets me overclock using the latest Nvidia drivers. When I use the "detect optimum settings" button it sets it to somewhere around 700/1000. I didn't actually apply these settings uinstead opting for 400/700. Have had no probs as yet. I read other people needing to run coolbits etc to overclock. I have not needed to use these tools ????? just the latest drivers. Why is this ????
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    You don't "need" coolbits, it's just another way of overclocking the card. Besides, I don't think coolbits works with the newest drivers because they already come with it's own overclocking abilities as you see.
  • edited December 2006
    Hi i overclocked my geforce 6200 256mb to 400/300. I am still noob at overclocking but my question is how do you unlock the 4 pipelines?
    But if i set it to 450/350 my computer gets stuck:confused:
    Please help me!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    For the most part the extra Pipes have nothing to do with the Core GPU speed and the memory clock. But in all every card has it limits, no 2 cards are the same, nor can you tell what the highest clock you can get from one over another. If your PC is locking up it is most likely because your PC doesn't like the OC on the graphics card.

How hot is the card running? How hot is your PC running? Heat is the Primary reason for cards locking up "well for me anyways"
  • edited December 2006
    Graphic card is 37°c I put a cooler on it! But my core is 400 and mem 300 but how high can i put my mem? And still how can you unlock pipelines.
  • edited December 2006
    OK for those still using the Gforce 6200

I downloaded the latest forceware drivers 93.71 found here http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

I used riva turner v2.0 RC 16.2 to unlock the extra pipes found here http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Video-Tweak/RivaTuner.shtml

I then used Coolbits to overclock my video card found here http://www.overclockers.com.au/files/CoolBits.reg

I am using the Evga video card with 256 of onboard ram..Running on the Nv44board.Computer specs are..Amd 3000+ running at 2.0 ghz 1.5 gig of pc 2700 ram.

My video card is now overclocked at.
    400 MHz Core clock frequency
    898 MHz Memeory clock frequency
    The Temperature runs at 51 C under 0 load and around 74 C under full load.
    Can play Bf2/Call of Duty 2 on high and get about 60-80FPS
    Can play 2142 on medium to high and get about 55-70FPC

Here are the specs of some other series 6 cards for referance..

GeForce 6200
    Core Clock: 300 MHz
    Memory Clock: 550 MHz (my card)

GeForce 6200 TC(Turbo Catch)
    Core Clock: 350 Mhz
    Memory Clock: 700 Mhz

GeForce 6500
    Core Clock: 450 MHz
    Memory Clock: 700 MHz

GeForce LE 6600
    Core Clock: 300 Mhz
    Memory Clock: 500 Mhz

Geforce 6600
    Core Clock: 300 Mhz
    Memory Clock: 500/550 Mhz

Geforce 6600 GDDR2
    Core Clock: 350 Mhz
    Memory Clock: 800 Mhz

Geforce 6610 XL
    Core Clock: 400 Mhz
    Memory Clock: 800 Mhz

As you can see I am running a little above the 6610 XL speed video card.

If ya need anyhelp with your 6200 card feel free to contact me at

Scotcrego@gmail.com
  • edited February 2007
    I bought an open-box Leadtek PX6200TD-128MB PCIE from newegg. I can unlock it to 8 pipes and overclock to 450/650 without any problem using RivaTuner. With these, it practically becomes a Geforce 6600 since it has 128 bit memory interface. Actually, Leadtek has a PX6600 TD, which has exact same board layout and 128MB memory. I am wondering if I flash PX6600 BIOS (which I downloaded already) would it work with PX6200. I am installing Linux next and will loose Rivatuner, so I need to modify the BIOS for permanent unlocking. I can also use Nibitor/Rivatuner combination to modify the card's original BIOS. Can you help me deciding on the safer way to modify the BIOS of this card? Thanks
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited February 2007
    You can try to flash the BIOS of the graphics card mirage but ALWAYS remember to use a flash version that PRECISELY matches the memory specifications of the card you have.
  • edited February 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    You can try to flash the BIOS of the graphics card mirage but ALWAYS remember to use a flash version that PRECISELY matches the memory specifications of the card you have.

Thanks for reminding that. I just checked the two cards, they both have 3.6ns 128MB DDR RAM running at 550MHz.
    edited February 2007
    You're welcome mirage.

I should also add that the PX6600 BIOS flash you downloaded should also match in terms of memory manufacturer (ie. Hynix, Samsung etc.) but I presume you have already checked that as well :)
  • edited February 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    You're welcome mirage.

I should also add that the PX6600 BIOS flash you downloaded should also match in terms of memory manufacturer (ie. Hynix, Samsung etc.) but I presume you have already checked that as well :)

Yes, both of them are Hynix :)

I found a Taiwanese site, and translated with Google. They say that they did this cross-flash successfully.
    http://www.oc.com.tw/article/0504/readiyarticle.asp?id=3737

Well, if I could understand correctly :) Anyway, I think I will try this
    edited February 2007
    Yes it is NVFlash you have to use and copy it to a floppy along with 6600 flash file. Remember to make a copy of the current BIOS of your card FIRST before you apply the 6600 BIOS.

That's what the nvflash --save back.rom command does :)
    Alternatively nvflash -b back.rom can also be used and you can name the backup file whatever you prefer instead of "back" if you wish

Then you use nvflash -e to erase the EEPROM

And finally you can apply the 6600 BIOS using command :
    nvflash -4 -5 -6 6600.rom or the alternative filename you have chosen for the 6600 BIOS file.
    I use nvflash -p -u -f 6600.rom and it does the same thing so you can try it instead if nvflash -4 -5 -6 6600.rom doesn't work.
  • edited February 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    Yes it is NVFlash you have to use and copy it to a floppy along with 6600 flash file. Remember to make a copy of the current BIOS of your card FIRST before you apply the 6600 BIOS.

That's what the nvflash --save back.rom command does :)
    Alternatively nvflash -b back.rom can also be used and you can name the backup file whatever you prefer instead of "back" if you wish

Then you use nvflash -e to erase the EEPROM

And finally you can apply the 6600 BIOS using the final command
    nvflash -4 -5 -6 6600.rom or the alternative filename you have chosen for the 6600 BIOS file

Wow, that is real help. I will do exactly as your concise description. Thanks again. I need to wait one day more; the computer is working on a WU that I want completed first. You never know, I might not be able to boot again for a while:eek:
    edited February 2007
    Yes I know it's a little daunting but the hardest part is to have the right BIOS flash file.

When you have the correct 6600 BIOS flash file in terms of memory manufacturer and ns value you will not run into any problems. If anything I'd double check the site where you got the 6600 BIOS file from to make sure it is for the 6600 PCIe card because there's a 6600 AGP as well and from you what you mentioned previously it is a PCIe card that you have.

Folding has become a higher priority compared to BIOS flashing in my book too :)
  • edited February 2007
    mirage wrote:
    Wow, that is real help. I will do exactly as your concise description. Thanks again. I need to wait one day more; the computer is working on a WU that I want completed first. You never know, I might not be able to boot again for a while:eek:

Yes, px6600 bios worked on px6200. All pipes are unlocked permanently and card boots/detected as 6600. Just for reference here is the link to 6600 bios
    ftp://ftp.leadtek.com.tw/entertainment_graphics/BIOS/060106_PX6600_128M_HDTV_2A23.zip
    Cheers!
    edited February 2007
    Nice job mirage :thumbsup::)

It's great to see you managed to do it successfully and you got the desired result :)
  • edited March 2007
    Can anyone tell me if unlocking is possible on a XFX 6200TC 128mb
  • edited April 2007
    many thanks Mirage for finding that chinese article.

Myself and a few others on slickdeals have been trying to figure out how to properly transform the WinFast PX6200-TD that you have into a PX6600-TD. I actually tried the same thing the chinese article stated using nvflash 5.12 (as oppose to 5.40) and the PX6600 BIOS you provided. Unfortunately it seems to work but the DVI only shows a black screen (not the same as 'no signal') and only the VGA works. The VGA only works if you unplug the DVI.

There are others that have stated that the BIOs flash does not physically unlock the pipes and that 3DMark scores are still the same. I personally have not tested the 3DMark scores yet but it does seem to have worked on the original chinese article. Although RivaTuner does state that the target display adapter is a 6600 (A2, 8x1, 3vp) if you check the pipes there is still 4 pipes locked.

Please share with us how you did it and if your modification worked 100%?
  • edited April 2007
    azrael201 wrote:
    many thanks Mirage for finding that chinese article.

Myself and a few others on slickdeals have been trying to figure out how to properly transform the WinFast PX6200-TD that you have into a PX6600-TD. I actually tried the same thing the chinese article stated using nvflash 5.12 (as oppose to 5.40) and the PX6600 BIOS you provided. Unfortunately it seems to work but the DVI only shows a black screen (not the same as 'no signal') and only the VGA works. The VGA only works if you unplug the DVI.

There are others that have stated that the BIOs flash does not physically unlock the pipes and that 3DMark scores are still the same. I personally have not tested the 3DMark scores yet but it does seem to have worked on the original chinese article. Although RivaTuner does state that the target display adapter is a 6600 (A2, 8x1, 3vp) if you check the pipes there is still 4 pipes locked.

Please share with us how you did it and if your modification worked 100%?

I thought no one was interested anymore. Then, let me post my complete experience.

Later, I also found that although 6200TD was detected as 6600TD with 6600 BIOS by the Nvidia drivers, this did not unlock the extra pipes. I still use Rivatuner for that. I have not tested the DVI port but it works with the other port without any problem. I was planning to use Rivatuner scripts to unlock the pipes permanently but I did not try it yet. The main advantage of 6600 BIOS remains as enabling the SLI possibility but I do not have the hardware to test it. So, if you guys do not need SLI, there is no reason to try 6600 BIOS anymore. Rivatuner takes care of everything.

One last thing: you can use Nibitor to enable temperature sensing in the 6200 BIOS. After you flash the modified BIOS, Nvidia drivers start monitoring the temperature.

Here is 3DMark2005 score @ 600/1300-8/3 + Vantec CCB-A4P cooler
  • edited April 2007
    Believe me there is still much interest now that the price of this card has dropped to $25 + shipping. This is IMO the best value card out there for what it can do.

I am not familiar with how Riva Tuner works, but I'm assuming the modifications it does on the card requires software to be loaded in Windows? What exactly is the trade off of using Riva Tuner and theoretically a working 6600 BIOS? Can you explain a bit more about Riva Tuner scripts as well?

Your DVI port works after you flashed it to PX6600.rom? or did you mean when you flashed it back to the original 6200.rom?

What is your feeling of the chinese article, do you think they were able to unlock those pipes permanently (especially after examining their performance tests on the second page). It seems like their main argument for using the 6600 BIOS was mainly for a more stable and higher overclock than Riva Tuner could provide?