Folding Team Map

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Folding@Home
I was <s>sitting around at work, wondering what to do next,</s> hard at work, when it hit me... why don't we bring back the folding team map, and implement it through the google map api? That would probably have some benefits over the old map implementation, and be easier to administer. Thoughts?

http://www.google.com/apis/maps/

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Sounds cool. Surely we have someone around here that would know how to work it. I dropped my Java class ;D.

If nobody wants to take it up, I could have decent static maps whipped up in about an hour, if I had the locations of the rigs. I work with ArcMap all day ;).
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If I can find the lat & long by way of ZIP/Postal Code, I'll do it again. I already have much of peoples' information.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2005
    That would be cool. Since i downloaded Earth.google, i have noted some of the members location from below their avatars and located the area and marked them.

Not knowing too much about the US, this give me a much clearer picture of where people live, and what it's like. :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    If I can find the lat & long by way of ZIP/Postal Code, I'll do it again. I already have much of peoples' information.
    I can get you the lat/lon's if I had the ZIP codes.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited July 2005
    What's the Folding Team Map?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    It's a map of the participants on Team 93. It hasn't been updated in a while, but here's what it looks like: http://www.kwitko.net/folding.html

An international map was also made by T1Rhino, but it also has fallen by the wayside.

With the advent of Google Maps, the project will become much easier. Between Gargoyle and I, we could revive the project quite easily.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    I'd love to see this revived. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    If you're serious about wanting to re-do it with Google maps, I'd be willing to pitch in and help where I'm needed. Not that you guys aren't extremely capable chaps - I'm just interested in helping the team where I can. ;)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    What do we need? A general request for people to put their zips into their profile?
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    Who else here is from pittsburgh? I see it on the map, and obviously im from there since im asking :)

I think a good goal would be to have at least 1 person folding from every state. Im sure everyone here knows at least a few people who live in other states and other parts of Canada.
    edited July 2005
    For the old map, I used forum name and ZIP/Postal. For this, we could probably do some cool stuff; I haven't fully explored the power of the Google Map API.

To start, we'll probably do just forum name and location. Don't PM anybody just yet, we have to test it first!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    Who else here is from pittsburgh? I see it on the map, and obviously im from there since im asking :)

me.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    One including the rest of the world would be nice.
    edited July 2005
    I think the Google API makes that much easier to do. I would do regions, not just US/Canada.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    With Google Earth, you can export a 'pin' from the map as a seperate file. Othwers can download these files and just open them, to add them to their world map. If we could get people to mark their own homes and computer locations, then export the pins and send them all to one person, that person can then export the whole group of pins as one file and make it available to the group. Then people could explore a world of folders in the comfort of their own Google Earth program...

The only tough part would be getting everyone to download Google Earth...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Right - with the Google Map API, we can implement the whole thing on a website. Seth has a bunch of locations already anyway.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Yea, but the web version of Google Maps gets teh F when compared to Google Earth...
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Seth...

I live at 65301 now, not 05301 :D:thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    Sounds like a cool idea! :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    fatcat6 wrote:
    Seth...

I live at 65301 now, not 05301 :D:thumbsup:

No, I talked to somebody down at logistics, and they definitely said you're in 05301. Please make a note of it. Thank you.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited July 2005
    I'm at 98407 now, we moved from 98405. At least we went up in numbers not down... LOL :)
    edited July 2005
    I'm in 45 now.

At least, I think I am. That's what is painted on the side of the abandoned schoolbus where I make my home... down by the river...
    edited July 2005
    Are you guys posting your zip codes? Mine is 48312.

-BTW-
    I hit 1000 points this morning! :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    gtghm wrote:
    I'm at 98407 now, we moved from 98405. At least we went up in numbers not down... LOL :)

um...the lower the #, the cooler you are :thumbsup:

thats why i just suck now :D
    edited July 2005
    fatcat6 wrote:
    um...the lower the #, the cooler you are...
    Let's see one lower than 45, then. :cool::cool::cool::cool:
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2005
    "um...the lower the #, the cooler you are"

I'm probably the coolest one here at 03281
    edited July 2005
    NH eh...i think we got some people here from mass which would be 01XXX
    edited July 2005
    Forty-Friggin-Five, gentlemen.

Forty-Friggin-Five. ;)
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2005
    Yeah, I just remember Mass's low zip codes. Prof, you'll be beaten by people from outside of the US who have no zip codes.

Oh, I'm also starting a map for Spyware Shooter. I put a placemark on every place where someone downloads it (I started this yesterday so there are only about 15 placemarks), export the images, and now I can try to get SS known all around the world :) So far half of htem are in Europe and the other half are in the US. Two in Asia.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2005
    We don't have zip codes, we have post codes. Mine starts M22. there are no more numbers in it.