I think my video card overheated :'(

SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I was just on my main computer (the Athlon 3000+) when suddenly it was like the monitor shut off. The computer was still running, but the screen went black and to "standby" mode. I thought maybe some strange glitch put it into standby so I tried to wiggle the mouse, but nothing happened. I hit a few keys, still nothing. When I unplugged the monitor it lit up to blue (meaning it's working/displaying correctly) and said "please check the monitor cable", so I know it's not a problem with the monitor.

That computer has always run really hot and has been around 195ºF all summer. I am assuming that the video card overheated but I want a response from a hardware professional first. I just got the video card 3 months ago and it's an Nvidia GEForce 5500FX. My warranty on the computer and/or the card will cover this if it overheated, right? I don't want to be out $150.

Also I wasn't experiencing choppy graphics or anything, which I've heard are signs of a dying card. Just all of a sudden this happened. The computer is shut down right now to give it a chance to cool.

BTW: I dragged my old 566MHz Celeron upstairs to post this. I will be using that until I figure out what's wrong with the main computer.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    Hmm, that is odd. I'd be curious to see how it does once cooled down. It shouldn't take long to cool down, just 10 or 15 minutes should do the trick. When you power up the machine, listen for a post-beep. If you get nothing, it could be more than just your video card. Also, it wouldn't hurt to measure the rail voltage on your power supply to ensure everything is within spec.

Let us know how it goes, hopefully it's just 'one of those things' :)

Also, if you have an old PCI graphics card, you could always swap it to test.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2005
    What videocard is it? I had a fan die on my fx 5700 LE and I didnt know it, and then all of a sudden in cs source i was getting all kinds of weird artifacts. The terrorists looked like a pile of triangles, and hte counter terrorists looked like rectangles and triangles. It was scary...
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2005
    lol the squares have planted the mobm near that pile of octagons.

is it possible to open the side and watch the fan?, also if u want a pretty definite cause, let the machine idle for a while, if nothing shut it down let it cool off, then start it up and run somthing like 3dmark or something like that. it'll become real obvious if it does it in a card benchmark. but take a look and make sure the fan stays at a constant speed, my 9800pro fan would slow way down and speed back up, so i replaced it before it blew.
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2005
    I let it cool down for 4 hours just to be safe. I restarted and it seemed fine. Then I played a game for about 30 minutes and suddenly the game just froze and I couldn't do anything with my computer (usually by opening taskmanager I can close the game). I had to hold the button and shut it down.

How do I measure the rail voltage and how do I check the fan speed?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    For checking computer voltages and temperatures, you can use Motherboard Monitor 5. Check the download page. This will work well, assuming your motherboard has the necessary built-in thermal sensors.

You do have a heat problem. It could be indirectly voltage related, in that heat will exacerbate low voltages. It is probably your video card overheating, but could also be the power supply unit getting too hot.

What case are you using? What is the fan(s) configuration -- size, location, number.
    edited July 2005
    I'm runing MBM5 right now. The temps are:

Case: 192º
    CPU: 147º

Here are the voltage readings from MBM:
    Core 0: 1.62V
    +3.3: 3.30V
    +5.00: 4.97V
    +12.00: 10.94V
    -12:00: 1.87V
    -5.00: 5.11V

And the fan sensors aren't working correctly. They are staying at 5625, 33750, and 16,875 RPM.

I have three fans. One is in the PSU Box, one is at the back by the video card, and one is above the video card. I'm not sure of the fan sizes.

I have an old fan out of an AMD K6-2 machine that's about 40mm square. I was going to set it so that it was cooling the video card but I couldn't find plugs to plug it into. Would that even help?
    edited July 2005
    Your +12V rail (line) is very, very low. Surprising you don't have more crashes. Assuming the temp sensors are correct, your case temperature...it's an oven. Hard to believe it really is that hot. It just can't be, can it?

Disregard the fan RPM indicators: 1) yours are ficticious, 2) even if the software were reporting correctly, placement and size of the fans is more important than specific rotational speed.

Do you know what brand and model of case you have? It would help us to find an image of it to suggest better case ventilation. Sounds like the case is starving for fresh air. Exhaust fans don't do much good if intake is too limited. The exhaust fans will just spin fast without removing much heat.

At this point, it is difficult to diagnose your problem not knowing whether it's caused by heat, a bad PSU, or a video card hardware problem. Can you run the system with a side of the case removed? It would be good to do that, report the temperatures, and let us know if the system is still crashing.

Also, when you say a fan at the back of the video card - do you mean mounted to the back of the case or mounted on the video card itself? As for fan sizes, they are determined by measuring the diameter. The standard measurement is metric, in millimeters, such as 60mm, 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm. If you don't have a metric ruler or tape, measure in inches (hokey 'English' measuring system!) and let us know.

We can get your computer out of its suffocation, and likely, you may not have a problem with your video card hardware.
    edited July 2005
    Your +12V rail (line) is very, very low. Surprising you don't have more crashes. Assuming the temp sensors are correct, your case temperature...it's an oven. Hard to believe it really is that hot. It just can't be, can it?

Actually, it can be. My BIOS only reads the CPU temp and while MBM says it's 147º the BIOS changes from 147 to 152.
    Do you know what brand and model of case you have? It would help us to find an image of it to suggest better case ventilation. Sounds like the case is starving for fresh air.

I have the side of my case off and had it off when the card overheated and when I posted that stuff from MBM. With the side of the case off it drops only about 2º. When I have the side of the case off and have a fan blowing one side intake one side exhaust it drops about 10º. I have three fans running in the room also.
    Also, when you say a fan at the back of the video card - do you mean mounted to the back of the case or mounted on the video card itself?
    It's mounted at the back of the case.
    edited July 2005
    One fan is an 80mm the other is a 92mm
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited July 2005
    I don't think I've ever seen a computer that hot before. It's 50 degrees hotter than mine. TOO HOT :rarr: Cool that baby down. It may need a good cleaning. Is it dust bunny heaven in there?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    i concur, something is drastically wrong here. your case should not be hotter than the cpu. and neither should be that hot. i mean your cpu is in the p4 prescott range of hotter than hell and i don't think athlons are suppose to get that hot. do you have a massive overclock on it or something?

and the case is burning up. your are really close to the boiling temp of water if it is accurate. :eek: is your case hot to the touch?

you might have to mod a 120mm blowhole and fan or something to get those temps down. do you have a/c? are you living in a super hot part of the world? :confused:
  • edited July 2005
    test a new gpu
    edited July 2005
    It's impossible to have a case that hot with the side open...only if something were on fire. I don't think your motherboard sensors are reported correctly. I don't believe your CPU is as hot as is reported either. It just would not function at that temperature. It could very well be too hot, but not the reported temperature.

Well, anyway, did you still experience crashes with the case side off?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2005
    Spyware Shooter: I concur with Leonardo, the +12V rail on your machine is much too low. I would verify that you are getting similar readings from the BIOS. One good final check would be to take a voltmeter, and connect the positive (usually red) probe to the Yellow conductor on a molex connector. Ensure the black probe is grounded. You can use the black conductor in the molex for ground. If you are still getting readings below 11 volts, I would purchase a new powersupply. We can suggest some good ones if you like.. Low voltage like that can cause all sorts of system instability, and also cause stress (and added heat) to components.

Also, I'm not sure if those temp readings are accurate. MBM5's fan readings are incorrect. I had the same problem with my old ASUS board. In the settings, you can apply a divider on them (usually /4). Just fiddle with them until the rpm matches whats in the bios.

Out of curiosity, what is your ambient room temperature right now?
    edited July 2005
    It may need a good cleaning. Is it dust bunny heaven in there?
    The computer is only a few months old so there is hardly any dust in there. I would clean it out anyways but I don't have any compressed air at the moment.
    is your case hot to the touch?
    The outside of the case isn't but the components inside are, epecially the AGP card.
    do you have a/c? are you living in a super hot part of the world?
    I have an AC in the other room. I'm not in a super hot part of the world... just little old New England. The temps have been in the 90s here lately though.
    Well, anyway, did you still experience crashes with the case side off?
    Not yet, I think that was the only one. I'll try again today since I left the computer on all night.
    If you are still getting readings below 11 volts, I would purchase a new powersupply.
    The 12V Rail goes from 10.94V to 11.24V.
    Just fiddle with them until the rpm matches whats in the bios.
    Should I post the BIOS reading of the fan speed here?
    Out of curiosity, what is your ambient room temperature right now?
    I'll report back on that in a little while.

Also, I find it strange that you guys all think it's extremly hot and is going to burn through the case (end exaggeration) when I've asked people IRL and they say it's no problem. I asked the "computer expert" who fixes the public computers in town whenever something goes wrong and he said "don't waste the fan blowing into the computer, you're going to overheat by doing that before your computer does". Then I asked the guy at Best Buy and he said that there may be a little problem but that the computer can handle it and if I was concerned to bring it in and have them fix it. I don't trust either of them, and I trust you more, but it's kind of strange that two different kinds of computer experts can have different views on a hot computer.
    edited July 2005
    The room temp is 76º (I think the computer is heating it up) and the computer is not overclocked.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    ...I asked the "computer expert" who fixes the public computers in town whenever something goes wrong and he said "don't waste the fan blowing into the computer, you're going to overheat by doing that before your computer does".

this makes no sense. an intake fan is not going to overheat your pc. all it will do is pull fresh air into your pc which should cool it off. this guy doesn't sound like much of a computer expert IMO.
    Then I asked the guy at Best Buy and he said that there may be a little problem but that the computer can handle it and if I was concerned to bring it in and have them fix it. I don't trust either of them, and I trust you more, but it's kind of strange that two different kinds of computer experts can have different views on a hot computer.

yep, i would trust the good peeps at SM over BB and a library tech anyday. :thumbsup:

as others have suggested, i also think the psu is suspect. your can grab a multimeter for like $10 from radio shack or home depot and get an accurate reading of your 12v line and the others.

and i agree that mbm5 has to be reporting the temps wrong. check in the BIOS for a more accurate result.
    edited July 2005
    this makes no sense. an intake fan is not going to overheat your pc. all it will do is pull fresh air into your pc which should cool it off. this guy doesn't sound like much of a computer expert IMO.

He said that I would overheat, not my computer ;D
    check in the BIOS for a more accurate result.
    The BIOS only reads the CPU temp and it reads the same as MBM.
    edited July 2005
    I converted your measured temperatures to Celsius so that I have a better understanding. (Celsius is the standard heat measurement unit for computer hardware diagnostics and testing.) Your reported temperatures convert to case at 89*C, and CPU at 65*C. Your CPU is within the tolerance range specified by AMD, but is still very hot. Your case temp, although it may not be scorching the wall behind and carpet beneath, is so high that all other electrical and electronic components contained within the case are being stressed to their limits by very high heat. This will accellerate wear on all the computer's internal components, especially the CPU, graphics processing unit (vid card), and the power supply unit. If your case is really getting that hot, you must improve its ventilation.

Having looked at your information again, I believe your crashes are due to one of the following factors or combination thereof:

1. Out-of-tolerance low 12V power rail on the PSU. (11.7~ is usually considered the lowest safe level for components. If the PSU fluctuates between the 10.x that you specified and 12V, you WILL eventually ruin electronic components.)

2. Your high case temperatures are causing your GPU to overheat.

It would really help us help you if you were to post digital photos of your case layout, to include internal shots.

Is this computer a custom build? A brand and model? Intent is not to criticize, but to better know the architecture of the system.
    edited July 2005
    Well I'm not too worried about the system getting screwed up since I have an extended warranty on it. The computer was bought at Best Buy and is an HP a706n. I would like to send some pics in but I don't have a digital camera. Maybe I could pull out the video camera and take a few-second-long video with no audio?

I also just experienced another problem. I was just playing a game online and my screen went black. I figured "bah, someone messaged me so the game crashed". The game always crashes when someone tries to send a message. So I figured I'd just restart the game and be golden but then my computer started to reboot itself! When it loaded back to the desktop a window came up that said "Your system just recovered from a serious error. Would you like to send an error report?". What does this mean?
    edited July 2005
    Sounds like voltage starvation. Probably your system was running on the edge with the low 12v current. When you received the message notification, it destabilized the system enough to shut it down. You need to replace that PSU.
    edited July 2005
    I'll give bestbuy hell for it and have them replace it through the warranty. I don't want to go voiding my warranty by replacing the PSU. Their warranties are really strict, on my old computer it was void when I opened the case, so I didn't clean it for 5 years. I'm hoping I didn't void it already by adding a video card and more RAM to it.

Should I still make a video or not?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    just toss the original video card and amount of ram in the machine before you take it back for service.

if you want to make a video, i am sure people will check it out....not sure if it's needed though.
    edited August 2005
    This problem is only getting worse. Now not only is it randomly rebooting while gaming, it's also doing it while I'm online. I was just trying to figure out how to use Google Maps API instead of Google Earth and all of a sudden the computer rebooted. Something is going to have to be done, but I don't know what. Is there anything that I would be able to unplug that would not affect my system's performance that would up the amount of voltage going through my 12V rail?
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    i thought you were taking it in for service since you have a warranty?

if not, then replace the psu with a quality unit.

i don't think unpluging anything is going to help...

this is the problem with oem computers. if something goes wrong you can a)troubleshoot it yourself and possibly void the warranty, or b) have no pc while you wait for the service dept. to troubleshoot.

i ran into a similar situation when i was still in school. i had a gateway pc my parents got me for college, but after 6 months or so it started turning itself off automatically. i troubleshooted with an online tech from gateway and we determined that it was a flaky psu, so i was told to take it in for service. well, they were so backed up that they wanted me to leave it with them for 3-4 weeks. i couldn't believe they were serious! i walked out of there with my broken pc under my arm, drove straight to microcenter and picked up an antec smartblue 350w. i replaced the piece of junk with the antec and haven't looked back. i still have that old gateway today with the same psu.

anyway, replacing that psu was my first experience with upgrading and the whole do-it-yourself thing. so thanks to them, i became much more knowledgable about pc hardware. just another reason to build it yourself, IMO. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    Well I would take it into the store for servicing but the nearest Best Buy is about an hour away and I haven't been to either of the cities where they are located in a few weeks. I don't want to do it myself for two reasons:

1)Right now I'm practically broke and can't afford a new PSU. I have an old one out of an AMD K6-2 in my basement but it won't be powerfull enough to power this machine.
    2)I don't want to void the warranty just in case something comes up that neither me or you can help me fix. Also the warranty was an extra $60 or something like that and I don't want to go wasting that money.

While gaming people are always wondering why I'm constantly leaving and coming back and I tell them that my system keeps randomly rebooting. One of the guys I play with is a computer techie for a large company so I asked him what he thought of the problem. He said it could be that the 512MB of RAM I just added was seated wrong, so I should try to use the computer without the extra RAM for a few days and see if it fixed anything. Do you think it is the RAM?

I wish that this computer was as problem-free as my first one (which is on and folding right now). I never had any problems with the old 566MHz Celeron. The only problem it ever had is that it had Windows ME installed when I bought it (and that's always a problem). In the whole five years I owned it and used it every day, it only blue screened maybe twice. The thing is still up and running strong without any problems. Too bad it's not powerful enough for gaming or I would use it instead. As it is I sometimes use it to post here and browse the net.
    edited August 2005
    To rule out the RAM variable, the tech guy's toubleshooting suggestion might just be a good one. Although I still think the problem is the PSU, it won't hurt to pull the add-on RAM and just run the puter with the original stuff. Sure, why not, give it a try.
    edited August 2005
    Allright. Hopefully it's not the RAM cuz that'll be another $30 I'll have lost. I'll pull it out tomorrow when I have some free time.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    memtest+ :D
    edited August 2005
    Don't you need a floppy disk to use Memtest though? I don't have a floppy drive on this computer.