WOOT! Build me a Laptop!

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I've decided that my first laptop is going to replace my desktops. So I want tof ind a laptop with at least a gig of RAM, a good graphics card that'll play games decently well including future games in the next year(I'll buy a new one next year I guess). 17" monitor would be nice as well.... I dunno how upgrades work, but upgradability would be nice as well. Decent battery life would be nice too!

I'll be buying this system in a few days, like a week or so from now. "7-10 days". It's gotta cost less than $2000 though. I'll probably buy some external cases for my current harddrives so I can have those for storage, I dunno if you can install.... or should install games and programs on external drives, so either way I'll probably be good to go with only a moderate HDD size.

Thanks guys! I've been going through lots of crap looking for a good system, including searching through powernotebooks.com, I wish some of their 15.4inch screens were 17".... they have some sweet specs for a low price especially compaired to Dell................................................

Comments

• edited July 2005
    yeah, sorry this comment dosnt help you, i am at work so i dont have alot of time but when i first read the subject i first thought you ment like build it build it. I was just thinking damn hes going to build himself a laptop? i thought you coudnt do that. just a comment of a random thought.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    External hard drives work great for storage. Although a laptop's itty bitty 5400RPM hard drive is pokey, it's still faster than a USB2 or Firewire-interfaced external hard drive. Don't know if the connection would be fast enough for gaming.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    i have gamed on from an ext. hdd before, and it works out fine.

btw, check out this page...http://www.slickdeals.net/

every week or so they have unbelievable deals on good laptops. you just missed a dell xps gen2 w/ 256mb geforce go 6800 ultra that was 40% off. ($2749 - 40% off coupon = $1649) :eek:

don't worry they will have more. :thumbsup:
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    ill be at work today to pick up my paycheck there is a NEW HP 17in P4 out its a monster of a lappy but its like 1600 ill copy the specs out and post em later
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2005
    ryko wrote:
    i have gamed on from an ext. hdd before, and it works out fine.

btw, check out this page...http://www.slickdeals.net/

Yup... a lot of lappys come with 4200 RPM drives by default. I had one, and I used an external USB2 7200RPM HDD to install the games on because they loaded MUCH faster.

Oh and I'll second slickdeals. That site is so AWESOME. I have scooped many a slick deal from there.