Am i running out of power??

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I recently installed two 160gig WD's in a raid setup so i got 4 hard drives total 1 sata 1 ide + 2 sata raid then i got 1 dvd-rw 1 cd-rw and power goes to my 6600gt nvidia card.. this is all powered by a raidmax 420watt powersupply.. is it enough?? i was copying some files to my new drive(S) and my single sata shut off.. happened twice. i hope to hell its not a problem with my RAID setup but thats another issue

Comments

• edited July 2005
    i pulled the power out of my DVD/CD drives and start transfering and my non raid sata drive disapeared again!! i already have 20 gigs of stuff transfered over from earlier and it was fine whats happening?
  • edited July 2005
    What motherboard and processor are you running in this system? If I remember right, the Raidmax psu is made by someone like Deer or Powmax, which aren't the best of psu manufacturers IMO, so it could possibly be power problems. I also seem to remember some chipsets having problems like this with early drivers.
  • edited July 2005
    Asus P4C800-E + P4 2.8 ghz @ 3.09. never had a problem..
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2005
    raidmax psu are not good at all. i had an older 350w that was really like 200w. an even older oem 250w psu from gateway ran circles around the raidmax one.

plus it felt cheap and light also. always look for weight when shopping for a good psu. light and flimsy = cheap components.

try an antec, or superflower(TIGI) of at least 400w, and i bet your problems dissapear.
  • SpywareShooterSpywareShooter 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2005
    Not to change the subject, but this thread got me wondering. If I unplug my CD Drive will I have more power? Not that I'm going to do it, but is that true?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    No, you won't. Optical drives only draw power when they are playing a disk, or when the BIOS checks your hardware at startup POST (power on self test, the DOS screen before Windows starts).