Hitachi Deskstar 500GB SATA

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited August 2005 in Trading Post
I just saw this on ZipZoomFly, and thought it was pretty nice.

$339.99 w/FREE 2Day Shipping

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=100600-1&ps=ho6

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2005
    How many BIOS's can recognize something that big?
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    If the BIOS is <6months old it should be just fine.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2005
    That means most motherboards out there aren't capable of detecting it. The NF7Sv2 is one of those that won't recognize it.
    edited August 2005
    No it doesn't mean that. It means whether it can or not is unknown. Some one would have to try it. It'll probably not be a problem if the Hitachi SATAII drive is properly backwards compatible with a Silcon Image SATA 1 controller.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    So we will probably be seeing alot of BIOS updates coming soon ehh? ;)

I hate doing a BIOS update, it usually requires a DAMNED DIRTY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    RWB wrote:
    ...I hate doing a BIOS update, it usually requires a DAMNED DIRTY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE!
    Ask General Keebler and he might tell you that sometimes it takes several optical drives, two FDD's, several different OS's burned to many, many boot discs, and a lot of (good-natured) taunting from your friends. :vimp:

/me will no doubt pay dearly for this remark... ;D
    edited August 2005
    RWB wrote:
    So we will probably be seeing alot of BIOS updates coming soon ehh? ;)

I hate doing a BIOS update, it usually requires a DAMNED DIRTY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE!
    I've updated the BIOS on 2 motherboards on Friday. On the Abit AV8 it was simple as the Abit Flashmenu will update the BIOS from within XP. For the MSI K8N Neo2 all I needed was a boot floppy and the BIOS and MSI's Award Flash Program. It's easy!

I remember computers with SINGLE sided 160K 5.25" Floppy drives (Pre harddrive) ;D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    RWB wrote:

/me loves winflash :thumbsup:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    How many BIOS's can recognize something that big?

I thought 48-bit LBA was supposed to take care of that problem. Any mobo made in the last year- at least- should have no problem with that drive.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    That means most motherboards out there aren't capable of detecting it. The NF7Sv2 is one of those that won't recognize it.

My old NF7-S v2.0 detected all of my 400 GB Seagate EIDE drives. Is there a magical number or something between 400 and 500 GB?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Adding to Preacher's comment, my old NF7-S v1.2 had no problem with my 200GB drive.
  • entropyentropy
    throws his hat in

I haven't updated my BIOS in a year or so and it had no problem recognizing my 320.
    Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    throws his hat in

I haven't updated my BIOS in a year or so and it had no problem recognizing my 320.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    my 250gb was good on my old POS chaintech
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    More at 48-bit LBA.com
    ...With 48-bit addressing the limit is 144 petabytes (144,000,000 gigabytes).
    It ought to handle a measly 500GB. :vimp: