Game Freezes, Graphic Related?

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I recently reformatted my hard drive and purchased a new processor and motherboard. After that, I can no longer play a certain game (gunbound). I have Windows XP and I use the NVidia Graphics Geforce FX 5200 driver. I also have DirectX 9.0c but when I try to play the game, it freezes before going to the game servers. The screen turns black while loading and I have to endtask it before I can use my computer again. I went to the NVidia site and downloaded the latest driver. I don't know where to begin, I'm not sure where the problem is, if it's a NVidia setting or DirectX, or something wrong with my Windows. On my directX, I've tried lowering the refresh rate and the DirectDraw and Direct3d tests were fine. I tried to troubleshoot with windows help and support but it didn't work either. Anyone help please.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    It could be PSU going bad - probably not, as this incident occured right after system upgrades, so it's probably related to the upgrade/reformatting.... Unless your PSU doesn't have the necessary power for your new components plus your game.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your video card's drivers? The driver installation after formatting your HDD may not have gone off correctly.

Check your system BIOS. It could be that your memory doesn't have enough voltage.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    Let's see "I upgraded my Motherboard and CPU" (devices that use more power....) "and now my game freezes" It's either heat related (reseat Heatsink) or more than likely Power related. Your PSU is probably now inadequate.

What are your PSU specs? Amps on the 12v, 5v and 3.3rails. On the latest boards CPU power comes from the 12v rail and memory from the 3.3v rail (right Muddocktor?)

Leo is also right set your memory voltage to 2.6 or 2.7.

Is the Video card new? Even if it's not try a different video card.
  • edited August 2005
    Sorry but I don't know very much about computers.
    But I reinstalled my graphics driver and the problem was still there.
    I wasn't sure exactly how to set my momory voltage, but in the BIOS I found "DIMM Voltage Adjust" and I set it to 2.67 which was as close as 2.7 as I could get. After doing so, the game still froze, and my computer soon shut itself down, when a blue screen popped up and said something like "your computer has been shut down to prevent further damage." I have seen this blue screen before, and I reset my voltage back to the way it was. Leo, you may be right about the PSU because all though I did "upgrade" my system, I know that the processor my dad purchased is not even as good as the last one, and I don't know if the motherboard is better than the old one either. Omega, what do you mean by reseat heatsink, and I don't know how to check my PCU specs.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    The Power Supply specs on on it's label.

Reseat the heatsink by taking it off the CPU, cleaning the heatsink & CPU, reapplying heatsink compound to the heatsink & CPU (a VERY Thin layer) and replacing the heatsink onto the CPU.

Download CPU-Z and run it. It'll tell you what kind of CPU you have (among other things).
  • edited August 2005
    thanks for you help but i think i killed my cpu by "washing" it. i did everything but now the computer won't even turn on anymore. i thought i was supposed to use water to wash it but now its gone.