Whats the catch on this dvd burner deal?

TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I just got back froim the local Micro Center in Denver couple hours ago. I went for some dvd cases for some movies I was backing up. Been using an older panasonic 4x dvd burner. And I have had intermittant probs with it.

So right next to where the dvd cases are they have a BENQ 16x plus and minus dvd dual layer burner on sale. For $39 bucks. For dual layer!

I bought a case of 25, 16x dvd-r verbatim disks and the total was like $52.

So far its been awesome. I have burned 6 movies at 16x no problem. So whats the catch? Is this thing gonna belly up on me in a week or what? I have never had a BENQ anything before. There is no way you can get a decent 16x dual layer at a regular retail outlet today for $39 bucks can ya?

Tex

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Well, dvd burners are really cheap now. I haven't really heard anything bad about BenQ but you could always get a LiteOn or NEC on Newegg for a few more ($43 and $46). I have a NEC 3520A and I haven't had a coaster yet.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    My dad has a BenQ 16X DL +- burner just like that and it is great. I've been using BenQ DVDrom drives in both my computer and the GF's machine.

I highly recommend them.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Isn't that really expensive for blank dvd's? Or were they dual layer?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    DanG wrote:
    Isn't that really expensive for blank dvd's? Or were they dual layer?
    I think he means that's the total w/ the drive. :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I just bought a new Sony quad-layer burner for the same equivilant in £ :)

I have no idea where to get quad-layer media but it sounded good ;D

Tex, that's just technology moving on my friend, moving on.. and to think I paid nearly $300 5 years for a 4 speed CDWriter with DVD Rom combo!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Ha ha, I didn't have a DVD player in my computer until a year ago! And I only have it because it came from a machine that I rebuilt for someone, replaced by a new player, for them!
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    yeah theres no catch on that dvd burner. It's a pretty normal price :thumbsup:
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2005
    I had not seen any 16x burners that also did dual layer for under $49 bucks or so and that was usually on the net. This was a big local retail chain.

Tex
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    Microcenter is as close as we get in Columbus to online prices on some products. Microcenter is as close to Fry's as we got here. They have some nice stuff.