F.E.A.R. Demo

pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Gaming
Just got finished with the singleplayer demo for FEAR and WOW was I ever impressed. It's freaky as hell, looks great, and plays well too. I'm very impressed. Think of it as a cross between HL2 and Doom3. Can't wait for this one to come out.

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I downloaded it when it was first released, but I dont want to play it till my RAM RMA comes back from Kingston (I only have 512MBs of cheap stuff right now). Everything I've heard says it's really good though.

Better than HL2? That's hard to believe...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I didn't say it was better or not, but it certainly has the potential to be.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Yarr, I didn't think this looked too good from the video (I think I'm the only one), but I'd like to try it. Where's it at?
  • edited August 2005
    FilePlanet has it. Right on the front page.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I got it really quickly from gamershell.com
  • edited August 2005
    It reminds me of Far Cry \ Doom 3 .
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    It was probably the quickest demo I ever got through..

To be honest, I was expecting some big things from this game, and I left feeling a bit disappointed. Graphics were good, but not fantastic. I don't think it's quite HL2 calibre. Some cool weapons to chose from, and the slow-motion option was pretty cool.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Graphics look really good, atmosphere it has in buckets and certainly wetted my appetite.

Cool demo, will be interesting to see if the full game shapes up to be as good :)
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited August 2005
    i can not WAIT for this game come out it is so sweet, i dont know i just find it realyl addicting. i played through demo 5 times on all difficulties (except easy :-P) i dont know if i can wait 2 months for its release. however i did not find it scary at all in any way yet doom 3 creeped me out. dont know y
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I played less that 10 minutes of the demo, and already don't like it...

Then again, I'm the kind of person who finds it very unpleasant to be surprised or startled.

I'm okay with 'freaky' scary stuff, that's cool, but things that are only scary because they startle you with some sudden sound or visual are, quite frankly, really dumb.

Same reason I don't watch horror movies... My frinds make fun, that I must be scared, but startling has nothing to do with fear.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I'm not a big fan of the "scary" stuff that just surprises you.

When is comes right down to it, is F.E.A.R. the startling type of scary, or the creepy atmosphere type of scary?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I didn't notice any creepy atmosphere, just like a dark wherehouse, and some bad violin music...

Then again, I quit after the first thing that popped out and startled me, so I didn't get more than a few minutes in.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Definately has the eerie scarey feel as I was playing the alpha some time back and despite there being no enemies I was still scared ****less the entire time, the colouration, landscape and such just hit a button...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of the "scary" stuff that just surprises you.

When is comes right down to it, is F.E.A.R. the startling type of scary, or the creepy atmosphere type of scary?

It has some startling and some really good creepy atmosphere. The startling was done VERY well though, only 1 thing was truly a "Pop out and freak you thing" the rest were pretty well done.
    edited August 2005
    Only played five minutes into it, and I can tell you already I don't like it.

Not because of the game itself (I don't think), but the engine. The requirements are WAY WAY WAY to steep. On medium at 1152x864, it looks like utter ****. Anything higher than that, however, is unplayable on my 9800pro. For shame. The aliasing was unbelievably bad, even at 2x. Yuck.

Once again, one of the few people not impressed by a big release.

/cynical bastard
  • edited August 2005
    I hate to say it Entropy, but your 9800P isn't very top of the line any more.
    edited August 2005
    Oh I know that. It's getting really damn old in terms of computer hardware.

But hell, I ran Half-Life 2 pretty high, and it had no problems. I ran Painkiller at almost full settings, and it ran GREAT, and looked infinitely better than this game (in terms of quality, not quantity).

I just think it's a too musclebound, and/or poorly optimized or something.

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself I don't need a new computer yet ;D
  • edited August 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I hate to say it Entropy, but your 9800P isn't very top of the line any more.

lol
  • edited August 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Oh I know that. It's getting really damn old in terms of computer hardware.

But hell, I ran Half-Life 2 pretty high, and it had no problems. I ran Painkiller at almost full settings, and it ran GREAT, and looked infinitely better than this game (in terms of quality, not quantity).

I just think it's a too musclebound, and/or poorly optimized or something.

Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself I don't need a new computer yet ;D

Painkiller is a much older game, and even the Source engine is a bit on the older side now. I wouldn't even bother running the game any higher than 1024x768 if I were you.

How much RAM do you have? You'll need at least a gig to be able to use the maximum detail settings/
  • edited August 2005
    FEAR is like the 3dmark05 of games.

You won't get good fps without a monster GPU.
    edited August 2005
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
    Fimnally played it. Liked it, mainly for the slomo. Very cool effect, what with the bullets flying past leaving trails, and blood splatter in slomo is sweet.

Got me thinking. Since Max Payne showed us how cool Bullet Time is, why arent more games using it? Judging by FEAR, it works QUITE well in an FPS game.

I only got to the part at the beginning where the foot soldier with all the extra armor comes kicking the door open Charging at you and it goes into slowmo. I died... after I die 3 times the game locks up, and I have to kill it, and run it again...

Too much hassle for a demo. But I WILL be grabbing the complete version!
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I ran it on a Athlon XP 1800+ and didn't experience any sort of FPS drop running everything on high. It looks to be a good game, the weapons and sounds are done well, but the demo was a bit short.
    edited August 2005
    Whoa. They put save files and stuff in that useless "Documents" folder and not only did they take the privilege to share the folder on the network(s), but they enabled modification of files on it, too.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but that's really stupid. Literally. I would never in a million years enable that option, just because who knows what could happen. Quickest way to spread a virus, too.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
  • XanderXander (See Avatar)
    edited August 2005
    The Demo is starting to get on my freakin nerves. I installed it and played it but now when I click on the shortcut nothing happens. It's running when I press ctrl-alt-dlt, but I still have the desktop in front of me.

From what I got to play I liked it. It had more of the Creepy atmosphere rather than the "jump out and go boo!" thing. Little girls like that just scare the crap outta me.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    Have I got the right demo? it starts in a school gym. The movement control is horrible and there's no look. Just for those reasons I don't think I'd play it however good the graphics look.
    edited August 2005
    Hmm, seems I can't play it. It runs ok the first time (albiet with major stalling) and then if I try and load a save game or something it will take a few hours to load then be ok briefly in game then drop to (not exagerating) about 1 frame every minute. Have to try and kill the game with task manager (which takes a while).

:(
    bothered wrote:
    Have I got the right demo? it starts in a school gym. The movement control is horrible and there's no look. Just for those reasons I don't think I'd play it however good the graphics look.

Er, definately not the right game Bothered, heh.
    edited August 2005
    bothered wrote:

Uh, yeah, I think you have the wrong game there :wtf:;)
    edited August 2005
    I also keep getting Windows "Virtual memory minimum too low!" messages when trying to play even with it set to "Let Windows manage virtual memory" or manually setting it to a fixed 2GB :scratch: