F.E.A.R. Demo

2»

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I get that too, but I think it's because I only have 512MB of RAM at the moment. I'll be able to try 1GB tomorrow.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    Thanks guys,
    I got the demo for something called 'Obscura, learn anout fear'. On the site I downloaded from there was a picture of a spooky little girl
    Zander wrote:
    Little girls like that just scare the crap outta me.
    So I thought it must be the one. Getting the 662MB one now.
    The Obscura one needs to remain Obscure.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Haha bothered, only you :)

Well, I played through it. It looked horrible, but it was (I'll admit) a lot of fun. I'm not one for scary things (exhibit A: I had nightmares from The Ring... I wouldn't touch the phone for a full day and I didn't watch TV), but this was good. Creepy, not scary. The ladder was.. wow. Wow.

Interestingly, I played it on my brother's computer, too. He's got an x850XT and it could barely keep up. Granted, he has a 2.8c and only a single 512, so it's bottlenecked, but it was unplayable at what's standard.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    I got it and played a little, much better than the 'wrong demo' (staring Wallace and Grommet)
    I changed the res to 1024 and it plays very nice for me. This one is on my wish list already.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Haha bothered, only you :)

Well, I played through it. It looked horrible, but it was (I'll admit) a lot of fun. I'm not one for scary things (exhibit A: I had nightmares from The Ring... I wouldn't touch the phone for a full day and I didn't watch TV), but this was good. Creepy, not scary. The ladder was.. wow. Wow.

Interestingly, I played it on my brother's computer, too. He's got an x850XT and it could barely keep up. Granted, he has a 2.8c and only a single 512, so it's bottlenecked, but it was unplayable at what's standard.

I'm sure its just bottlenecked. I know there is a HUGE improvement when going to 1 gig, cause I saw it when I switched to it when Doom3 came out. Basically, if anyone out there has 512 and plans on playing anything new, spring for the 1 gig, probably the cheapest improvement you can do.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited September 2005
    I started playing it briefly last night as I've just got my gaming rig back up, am I right in saying that you can't select a 1280x1024 resolution? Or is it like Rome Total War & if it doesn't detect your card (because it's been softmodded) it decides what resolutions you can select?

Also it seems to freeze every few seconds as if paging the swap file even though I have a gig of memory in the machine. I'll have to try turning the eye candy down to see if it improves things.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Won't let me have 1280x1024 either. Stuck with black bars around 1152x864 here.

I like the game - looks cool, has some cool effects. I'm not really all that impressed with the shadow of the main character - even after you turn on soft shadows. One of the things that I don't like about the game, which happens with almost all of the games I've played with leaning that allows you to shoot in them is that if you're just barely leaning around the corner, the game becomes really easy. You can just lean out and cap the guards in the head. The slowmo makes doing that painfully easy as well.