New PSU = No signal/post

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hello, In an effort to try to get my new graphics card (gainward 6800 GT golden sample) to run the "enhanced mode" it is supposed to run stable out of the box, I ordered a new PSU (enermax 485 noisetaker) when It got here, installing it caused the fans and lights to come on, but no signal to reach the monitor and no drive activity, the motherboards status LCD showed "9.0." which isn't in the manual. I sent that PSU back, the supplier reported it worked fine .. I decided to get a refund minus the testing cost and order an Antec true power 550 since that one is on the motherboards compatability list, is reccomended by gainward and i'd read good things while looking around for help on the problem.

The Antec arrived yesterday, I just tried fitting it this morning and the same problem occurs.

The System :

Abit KV8-Max3
Athlon 64 3000+
Corsair Twinx 2x1gb 3200C2P memory (running 2.5-3-3-6)
Gainward 6800 GT golden sample (Ultra 2400 I think is the gainward name)
Creative Audigy 2
2x160gb sata hard disks
1x dvd drive
1x lg cd/dvd writer

It works fine (perfectly stable) Except with the graphics card set to "enhanced mode" with the previous enermax 365w PSU, It has not worked at all with either of the new PSU's, Currently is sat with the antec plugged in with the hope I can find whats stopping it from functioning.

Edited in for clarity:
Above system functions with 365w power supply, but does not Post with known working enermax 485w or new Antec 550w PSU

:scratch:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    So, are you getting no screen at all in "enhanced mode"? Hmm, makes me wonder if the vid card isn't getting enough voltage to power up in the enhanced setting. With the video card on normal mode, enter the system BIOS and bump up your video card voltage as much as you can. If this solves the problem, you can experiment with backing off of the BIOS-regulated voltage until you find the optimum.
  • edited August 2005
    running enhanced mode it functions fine for a few minutes then locks up or starts artifacting then locks up.
    (It seems to be running a bit warmer than I've read is normal, the 365w psu reportedly [the bios voltage monitoring] is supplying more than it should, ie 1.56 with the agp set to 1.5, 2.75 to the ram when set to 2.7 etc which I suspect is part of the cause of the running warm)
    (enhanced mode is basically just the 400/1100 clock it is advertised as running out of the box and is set via the gainward program in windows)

To be clear, the problem I was posting for was the computer not starting at all with either of the new PSU's.
  • edited August 2005
    Update :

Tried:
    Older graphics card.
    Just one stick of ram.
    Using an older 512mb ram instead.
    No sound card.

Removing additional USB 2.0 connectors
    plugging in case LED's (Bonus: discovered the power LED is powered by the motherboard, not the case's unused custom connector, so now have a blue light on the front when its "on")
    Clearing the Cmos via jumper.
    No optical drives.

Also left a bootable floppy in the drive, haven't heard a peep from it so I think that backs up the idea that it isn't just a graphics output issue but a startup one.

The LED on the board for "power supply is connected" is on when the power is on from the socket, the LED for "system power is on" lights up when it is turned on (the former green, the latter red - but the motherboard manual makes no mention of colour having any meaning)

So I'm left with what motherboard or CPU ?
  • edited August 2005
    have you tried contacting gainward about this problem? it could be an incompatibility issue as it seems its your graphics card could need maybe some newer drivers?
    Like someone else told me on this site software for OC by hardware manufacturers isnt always that good.

Seeing how its an nvidia card why dont you download Nvidia's own software for OC? and try that.