Replace dead A7N8X-LA

tratra
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hello,
I have a Presario s5295 (AMD 2500+), and I have apparently killed the MB with a bad BIOS update.

Can anyone who has successfully replaced the A7N8X-LA tell me about it ?
I know the choice is limited because it's µ (micro) ATX

Help !! (pretty please) :D

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Newegg has 2 nf2 chipset mATX mobos you could use to replace your dead Asus/Compaq board with. They have the Biostar M7NCG400 for $59.50 and also the MSI K7N2GM2-LSR for $65. Both are nforce2 IGP mATX boards that should do fine as a replacement and you shouldn't have too much problems getting everything to go OK, since they use the same basic chipset as your dead board.
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    Newegg has 2 nf2 chipset mATX mobos you could use to replace your dead Asus/Compaq board with. They have the Biostar M7NCG400 for $59.50 and also the MSI K7N2GM2-LSR for $65. Both are nforce2 IGP mATX boards that should do fine as a replacement and you shouldn't have too much problems getting everything to go OK, since they use the same basic chipset as your dead board.

Thanks for the info. I've been told that the main problem is connecting the Presario front panel power button, usb, microphone etc holes (?) to the mb.

Love to hear from someone who has done this
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    This one
    Should be almost the same as your other one.
  • edited August 2005
    The only problem with that one is that it's a refurb, which he may not be interested in.

As far as the front panel connectors go, you might be able to adapt your present ones to the boards I linked to. I've taken those integrated FP connectors apart before to where I could connect the individual wires to the proper spots on the mobo when replacing an oem board with an aftermarket board in the past. As long as you don't damage the little metal thing inside those integrated plugs that slips over the pins you are good to go. ;)
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the info, folks

In the meantime, HP has contacted me and yesterday took my machine back for free repair ! :D

So, fingers crossed - I'm DYING to see which BIOS they're going to give me.. :scratch:
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    It seems that the advantage of (my version of) the A7N8X-LA ( FOCUS) over the proposed replacements is the Firewire, and maybe, the TV/video in/out ?