New computer shopping(desparate help needed)

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Hello to all my short-media forum family! Its been a while I might say, well anyway to get to the point, I'm shopping for a new PC(moving to new apartment and want to leave this one to my mother..and kinda upgrade aswell) NOW I know "very" little about comps. (this board help'd a bunch with my hsa and other spyware problems I learned a ton.) back on topic right now I have a "no name brand" PC running windows xp w/comcast cable dsl (thats all I kno lol) I basically just dont wanna get dooped when I go asking around I'm looking in the pricve range of $500-600 maybe if thats possible. I juz want something that has a fast internet connection and is not slow and sluggish. It will be used for internet browsing as well as I do do some recording on it like a at home studio kinda. cd/dvd burner and ill be happy. so if u guys can help me out with a ferw specs so I sound like I kno what im talking about when I go out that would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    your internet connection speed is based entirely on the quality of the connection that you pay for (in this case, comcast cable dsl). if you really wanted a faster internet connection, you would need to upgrade your comcast service. as far as the actual computer is concerned, i'll let someone else handle the specifics
  • edited August 2005
    NO my spped is alright as of right now I juz thought it had something to do with ram.memory or space or anything like that. Like i wanna go in the store and give him specifics like I need a pc with so and so space and this much memory and this for ram..etc. juz so he doesnt give me a piece of sh*t b-cuz he knows i dont know what im talkin about ya kno?.. but anyway thanx for tha information
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    alrighty then, unless you have dsl/cable internet your faster computer isnt gonna help you much.
    Like i wanna go in the store and give him specifics like I need a pc with so and so space and this much memory and this for ram..etc. juz so he doesnt give me a piece of sh*t b-cuz he knows i dont know what im talkin about ya kno?..

umm..for $500-$600 i would not count on a very good computer if your going to a computer store. (computer store = ripoff) they will charge you WAY to much for labor not to mention they will most likely have a pretty hefty mark up on everything. They may also not use quality componets, they will still give you say, the same amount of ram, but it will most likely (85%) a lower grade than what they are charging you for. if you do decide to build it your self, i will post another post of the componets just so you know what you could get if you build it yourself.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I agree with airbornfight. Do NOT be intimidated by building your own computer, it is really easy, and with all the help you can get here, you will be able to take pride that you built your own, and got way more machine for the money. You can spend $500 and build a really nice machine for your purposes, or $500 and get a mediocre machine at a retailer.

Honestly, at any retailer, $500 will buy you about the same thing. It doesn't matter what you get. Go to dell.com and get a cheap dimension, or go to compusa or best buy or any other megaretailer and you'll get the same thing with a different label slapped on it. it makes no difference at that price range.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    I'll add my voice to those recommending that you build your own. We're here to help you along the way if you need us.

Besides saving a lot of money, you'll be able to put together a custom machine. You won't be paying for stuff you may not want or need.

On top of everything else, you'll know your computer inside and out. This makes troubleshooting much easier down the road. :)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Add my vote too.

Also don't buy low quality components.
    edited August 2005
    Okay...here i go, i didnt know wheter or not you had a monitor or not so i decided that you did, if you dont, we can cut a few things off the list. if you do, then i hope to hit the $600 mark pretty good.

Mobo -- Soltek SL-K890-Pro -- $102

Proc. -- AMD Athalon 64 3000+ Venice -- $146

Memory -- OCZ Enhanced Latency Memory 512 Mb -- $69

PSU -- Enermax Noise Taker 420 Watt -- $70

Video -- PowerColor Radeon X700 -- $120

HDD -- Seagate Baracuda 160 GB SATA 150 -- $89

DVD Burner -- NEC 3540a -- $42

Case -- Maxtop Signature Case -- $28

Total Pice: $666 (alright now that is scaring me since i just added that up on the widows calculator... i didnt even plan for that one....DEVIL BE GONE!!)

so i went over a little that could be easily be trimmed by a step down processor, ram, video, or mobo. It just depends if you wanna go cheap now, or have this rig last you a while longer.

I went cheap on the case in order to get you some better ram and a bigger hard-drive, after all, you did say that you recorded, so you will need a plenty big hard drive.

You make the decision. If you decide to build it yourself i personally promise you I will help you all that i can when assembling it. and if you dont have an OS. (sarcastically) I wouldnt find a spare in the closet and wouldnt be able to mail you a copy of a decent os, or you could just use kubunto, which i have on one of my rigs.

It would be great for just surfing the net and what not. But that is a discusion for another thread.
  • edited August 2005
    *Slowly wipes away a tear* lol I just wanna thank all of you for being so helpful I mean u dont find help like this anywhere nowadays so juz gimme a min to extend my gratitude to u all for voicing ur opinions and especially to airborn for taking the time out to find tha spec AND prices! I will definately be looking in2 all of this in due time (airborn..imma hold u to ur word on helping me all the way :D ) btw my o'le lady is expecting our 1st born soon (Feb. some time) and im highly excited about that so juz thought I'd share tha news w/ u guys and juz wanna say thanx again I'll keep u updated (on both pregnancy and tha comp work..lol) :thumbsup: to u all!!!
    edited August 2005
    Leme know what you decide, and what your final budget is, (i know all about low budgets, im just now gonna be able to finish up my project rig) and see if we can shave off a few dollars to fit the bill.
  • edited August 2005
    Man i tried to plead my case but my wife wants a DELL so u kno whut that means..."we" want a DELL... so i was looking thru their circulars and was wondering they have pretty good prices but are they good and reliable...how does this sound to u guys...(this is the dimension 2400 desktop $299) intel celeron processor 2.40ghz,128kb l2 cache, 400mhz fsb microsoft windows xp home edition 256MB shared DDR SDRAM 80GB ultra ATA/100 HARDDRIVE 48x cd burner dell A215 stereo speakers wordperfect word processing program 6 oonths aol (dont want that) 90 day warranty... i wanna upgrade to a flat panel and dvd burner tho..but how do those specs sound?..Or theres a dimension 3000 desktop for about $529... umm can u juz take a min to look and pik me somethin out that'll be even better..if u can. heres tha linkhttp://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg_special49?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs.....thanx in advance
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    LeathaFace wrote:
    Man i tried to plead my case but my wife wants a DELL so u kno whut that means..."we" want a DELL... so i was looking thru their circulars and was wondering they have pretty good prices but are they good and reliable...how does this sound to u guys...(this is the dimension 2400 desktop $299) intel celeron processor 2.40ghz,128kb l2 cache, 400mhz fsb microsoft windows xp home edition 256MB shared DDR SDRAM 80GB ultra ATA/100 HARDDRIVE 48x cd burner dell A215 stereo speakers wordperfect word processing program 6 oonths aol (dont want that) 90 day warranty... i wanna upgrade to a flat panel and dvd burner tho..but how do those specs sound?..Or theres a dimension 3000 desktop for about $529... umm can u juz take a min to look and pik me somethin out that'll be even better..if u can. heres tha linkhttp://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg_special49?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs.....thanx in advance

Any of those cheap Dell computers you buy are gonna need a tech visit in about 2-3 months if not sooner. Tell your wife that your spending MORE MONEY not getting something worth a damn.
  • edited August 2005
    lol guess that answers my question...um so which or who/whut way should I go..like whos the best or whut specs as far as 80GB harddrive and all those other #s i kno nothing about...what system should i go with she wont let me build my own/// :bawling:
    edited August 2005
    LeathaFace wrote:
    Man i tried to plead my case but my wife wants a DELL so u kno whut that means..."we" want a DELL...
    Be a man and lay down the law. Otherwise, you are looking at quite a few years worth of I told you so's, with potentially disastrous effects on your marriage. Nip it in the bud while you still can. :ninja:

To be serious, make sure that that Dell does not contain any proprietary parts. You don't want to have to spend $150 for a $35 PSU at some point in the future. Be wary of the add-ons, my sister was looking at a Dell laptop recently. Great price up-front; bad deal when you throw in all the dreck they want to sell you.

Build your own for the same price and you'll both acquire the knowledge of a second-year CompSci student. How much would that be worth to you? :)
    edited August 2005
    Like I said earlier, at that price range, it doesn't matter what you get. It's all just mediocre bleh. It will work fine and do the job fine. It's like asking what's better for going back and forth to the grocery store: The Kia or the Hyundai?
  • edited August 2005
    :thumbsup: you're right...but uhh when its time to sleep on tha couch ..Im comin over.. :D
  • edited August 2005
    but 1nce again whuts a good size for ram,memory,hard drive and all that other stuff
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    CPU = Pentium 4 3.0 LGA 775, AMD 3200+ Venice Socket 939
    RAM = 1 gig (2x512mb) DDR 333-400
    HDD = 120gig SATA (I still use EIDE cause I'm just cool like that)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I don't know about the Dell Dimension series, as far as reliability goes, but the Optiplex series are, in my experience, rock solid. I've used three different series of the Optiplex at my last job and this one. Never any problem whatsoever.

The Dimension you showed above has only 256MB of DRAM - that is absolutely bone-dead minimum. 512 is low standard, 1024 has become fairly common.
    edited August 2005
    wow...how come your wife want a dell...maybe you should let her read the thread. and maybe i could explain to her that she is getting ripped a new one buy buying one of them. as far as performance goes. the only thing you get a good deal on from buying with them is that the computer comes loaded with TONS of trial that you dont want nor will ever use.

If at all posible id convinve her to let you build. but if not, then id have to say to get an optiplex. first of all, i think they are a little cheaper cause they are meant for small to large business's. Our school ordered over a thousand of them and they are rock solid. if you do get that and its has to be intel (yep, dell=intel most of the time) id try to get at least a p4 doing at least 2.4, all those celerons are are expensive paperweights. I actually have one on my desk from way back when.
    edited August 2005
    Leo, as this computer can't really be used for gaming, I'd say 512mb would be plenty. 512 is a comfortable amount of ram for a modern windows XP install with some apps running :)

Modern 3D games? 1024mb at least
    edited August 2005
    I agree, 512 is just fine for internet and office applications. Much beyond that though, to include multitasking, and the user will cramp his style. 256 though, that's really the bare minimum.
    edited August 2005
    a gig at least? how come...i have friends with a good stick of 512 and they dont have excelent frame rates but they run around 35-45 on doom 3 and such. so i figured my 1024 megs would be quite good and suitable for some time to come.
  • edited August 2005
    good lookin out man on tha info imma put my foot down 2nite..(have space for me on tha couch later) but i'll let her take a gander at tha board and see whut she has to say then, I think she wants it b-cuz of tha commercials and tha price AND she knows less than me and thats NOTHING! lol. so I'll check up with u 2moro man..thanx.
    edited August 2005
    Andy, the difference between 512 and 1024 is very noticeable in games like Half Life 2, Battlefield 2, and even UT2k4. It's just gonna get worse. Believe me, by this time next year, there will probably be a game that requires a gig.
  • edited August 2005
    LeathaFace, I just went over to the Dell website and looked up that system your wife wants you to get. First of all, they don't even offer an upgrade to a DVD burner with that particular system. Second, even a 15 inch LCD is going to cost you an extra $159.00 from them. Third, if you actually want a physical Windows XP home CD (which I highly recommend that you get because hard drives do fail), it will cost an extra $10. Fourth, that system only comes with a measly 90 day warrantee; it will cost extra to upgrade to 1, 2 or 3 year warrantee. Fifth, Dell doesn't even offer a memory upgrade, so you will have to buy extra ram from elsewhere (which isn't necessarily bad because the last time I bought a Dell laptop their prices on ram were about double what I could buy it for elsewhere). Also, according to the webpage for it right here, the Wordperfect suite will be an additional cost; it doesn't come with the that system standard.

So let's add up the extra's and see what the true cost will be:

basic system - $299.00
    15" LCD - $159.00
    Win XP CD - $10
    Wordperfect - $69.00
    1 year warrantee - $29

Total, less shipping - $599.00

Also, you will need to buy a minimum of 256 MB more ram to have Win XP run decently. Plus, if you want a DVD burner, that is another money outlay you will have with the system. One other thing about buying that cheapie Dell is that it most probably doesn't have any PCI-e or AGP slots for an add-in video card too, so decent gaming is out for it.
    edited August 2005
    OK, I'll pile on. You really don't want a new computer with a smaller than 17" or 19" monitor. That's just not right. The machine would feel old and stale to you just after a few months with such a small monitor. Frankly, I didn't know that 15" monitored were still manufactured!

As for Word Perfect...I use it nearly daily, unfortunately. I don't think the whole suite is worth $69. But that's another topic.
    edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    ...As for Word Perfect...I use it nearly daily, unfortunately. I don't think the whole suite is worth $69. But that's another topic.
    Agreed. You'll be happier with a free alternative, even if only for the fact that you saved $69.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    There was an article here on building a PC from start to finish but I can't find it. If somebody can post a link to it you could have a look through it. I'm no expert at all but have built several and networked them. With the help of the guys here all you need is the confidence to start. It really isn't as difficult as it may seem.
    edited August 2005
    yeah, on the monitor, i have a 15" and i wish everday i had a 17" incher. simply cause i dont have the room for a 19" monitor.

But dont you hate marketing. Suckers in so many people. but alas, there is proof that ir works, my mom is one of them. She had to have an hp instead of me building her a better pc for the same price. now she says that i shoulda just built it. I love being able to say "I told ya so..." ;D;D;D and she gets mad.