Keyboard to get?

edited August 2005 in Hardware
Any opinions? Links?

Comments

• edited August 2005
    I use a logitech that came with a custom prebuilt pc from compusa about 2 years back, it's so worn in :[]

But from what I hear the Saitek Eclipse 'boards are great, and they light up so at night you get a great experience.

Here's your link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823175103

$47 on newegg
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    my Microsoft Digital Media Pro USB keyboard is wonderful.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    Well, I did finally cave and get the MX3100 set. Can't wait for it to get here now. $79.99 after rebate, which is still steep, but not bad really. Especially if I can sell my MX510, that's another, what, $20-$25? Maybe I can gyp one of my brother's friends for more ;D.
  • edited August 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Well, I did finally cave and get the MX3100 set. Can't wait for it to get here now. $79.99 after rebate, which is still steep, but not bad really. Especially if I can sell my MX510, that's another, what, $20-$25? Maybe I can gyp one of my brother's friends for more ;D.

Who's gonna buy a used mouse?...
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Who's gonna buy a used mouse?...
    what on earth are you smoking?? People buy used things... :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2005
    what on earth are you smoking?? People buy used things... :rolleyes:

I guess I just can't see someone buying a used mouse...

Mice aren't expensive to begin with, but if I was going to be buying a new mouse I doubt I'd buy anything used, and anyone looking for a gaming mouse would probably have a similar mentality.

Anyone in the market for something like that would assume the mouse was either defective or there was something else wrong with it.

This brings me to a new question.

How old is PilotWings?
    edited August 2005
    Doesn't matter, he's right. There's nothing wrong with buying used anything. Granted, it's a lot cheaper than it was when I bought it, but still, any money I could get off it is good.

And anything would be better than some of the other mice I've had. Trust me, someone will buy it.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    entropy wrote:
    entropy, you are my hero! I hadn't seen the sale w/ rebate on the MX3100 set till you posted it. I hadn't replaced my dead keyboard yet and have been dogging it with an old Logitech access keyboard from the closet. I just ordered the set and am giving my wife my MX1000 mouse since she needs a new one and has a good keyboard. Now we are all happy again. ;)
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    How old is PilotWings?
    hahahaha... :shakehead
  • chandomchandom Tallahassee, Fl
    edited August 2005
    edited August 2005
    wow those are pretty expensive
  • edited August 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Doesn't matter, he's right. There's nothing wrong with buying used anything. Granted, it's a lot cheaper than it was when I bought it, but still, any money I could get off it is good.

And anything would be better than some of the other mice I've had. Trust me, someone will buy it.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with buying anything used.

I just didn't think you would find a buyer for that item used, considering the cost (new), and what not.

I'm glad you found someone to buy it. :thumbsup:;D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I just ordered this IOGEAR wireless keyboard/mouse for my media PC I'm putting together. I've been using a real rudimentary Logitech keyboard that was like $7 for the past 3 years on my main rig and it's still crankin' :cool:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I just ordered the set and am giving my wife my MX1000 mouse since she needs a new one and has a good keyboard.
    What, not gonna sell it to her? :scratch:
  • edited August 2005
    I decided on this:
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 967513-0403 2-Tone PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included
    edited August 2005
    Yep, same one I got. Where'd you get it/for how much? Also, grab the rebate (if you haven't)!
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I bought my wife a new Kensington keyboard and trackball. It is an ergo keyboard, but instead of spliting the keys they are just staggered. I had trouble getting used to it , but it is smooth, quiet and comfortable.
    Oh, did I mention, I LOVE Kensington trackballs. The last one died after seven years, alas only a 5 year war.
  • edited August 2005
    See this thread:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36344

I am getting it at Newegg ($98 + $20 rebate =$78)
    edited August 2005
    My brother told me it would be stupid to put the MX1000 in its charger every time I'm done with it, as "it only has so many recharges before the battery dies." I know this, and I've seen it on other things... and they've never worn out.

So should I only charge it when it's getting low? Or is full of it?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I put it on the cradle every time it's in use, my MX700 used the same set of batteries for 18 months with this habit, and my MX1000 has never needed a battery-swap in ~12 months.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Logitech Ultra X flat OEM. Best keyboard ever. Only 5 media keys that are really discrete. I hate cluttered keyboards with all my guts. This one is cheap too. 15-20 dollars. Keys ar exactly like on laptops. Short, direct and very quiet.

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=9872&head=1&comments=1
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I'll always from for ergonomic keyboards. To me, rectangular key layouts are relics from a bygone era.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    A client was throwing away their new dell flat keyboards and we got four of them. They are awesome- NO media keys, which rocks. It is super small, flat, and feels nice.
    edited August 2005
    Really, prime? I love media keys. It's so nice to just leave the mouse where it is and do everything with the keyboard if I'm in a hurry.

Dakna, when you get yours, please update here. Mine came yesterday morning and I've been using it since.

Few thoughts. This keyboard is laggy. I'm not sure why, but I think it might have to do with the "secure" feature. Maybe the encryption is just delaying it that fractional hair. Because I've been using a wireless keyboard for years, and it didn't lag at all (and it was a cheap POS). Maybe I just type too fast. But I notice all the sudden my fingers get ahead of the screen and I get thrown off. If I hold just ONE key, though, it's fast as lightning. Meh.

The mouse. Oh god the mouse. It's so nice being wireless again (with one that works). I love the flat colors, too, none of that gloss crap (same with the keyboard).

This typing lag is driving me nucking futs, though. Even if I hang up the mouse or turn it off, it's still like this, so it's not being tied up or anything. And it isn't the CRT, as some have suggested, because I can pull the whole thing 5+ feet from it and it still has that irritating delay.

Oh, and the keys are just a touch bigger and spaced just a tiny bit further. It'll take some getting used to again (as my hands have that dull sort of ache right now).
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    yeah, I hate media keys. Mostly because of the space they take up - although that Logitech that Mack linked seems pretty slick.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Dan just posted a review of the Keysonic ACK-720E Illuminated Aluminium Keyboard if that's of any help.