Folding on a dual core P4

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Folding@Home
Is it just like a real dual cpu system? I'm ordering a new system for myself at work tomorrow and just wondering if it's worth the extra over the non dual core. Do they show up as seperate chips if HT is disabled?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    They are separate chips. As for folding it should fold like a single P4 CPU with HT disabled but twice as fast since there are 2 cores.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    for all intents and purposes, it is a true dual processor machine, only using one socket. It is "real" smp unlike the fake-o HT thing.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    w00t! Just ordered it from dell. Not bad, just over $1000CDN with xp pro and a dvd burner.
    In 2 weeks, I'll have results for you guys.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Seems like a pretty good deal! I think all you'll need to do is run two clients, each with a different machine ID. Should produce some serious points :thumbsup:
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited August 2005
    I'm planning on getting a dual-core too. Here is the FAH write-up I got to run two clients (dual processors is "like" dual core if I got this right)-

"If you have multiple processors in your computer, it is possible to have each processor work on a different unit. Don't try to run two copies on different machines that use the same directory on the same filesystem, either-- they NEED to run in different directories.

Additional processors must run the console version (with the "-local" command-line argument if run on Windows). First, make additional directories for each processor and copy the FAH Console executable file into each. Then configure them with the -config switch, filling in settings for each. It is very important to make sure that under the "Advanced Settings" option each copy is given a unique machine ID (from 1 to 8). The first copy will default to a machine ID of 1, so additional copies should be given IDs of 2, 3, 4, etc. Each may then be run out of their installed directory, using the -local switch on windows."

From FAH Forum discussion -

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=13051&highlight=dual+core

It should be fun and interesting to see whatever you come up with DanG. But I think you will get more WUs done if you can run two clients in parallel. So when you aren't using it ... maybe double up :) .
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    setting up FAH is exactly like on a P4 with Hyperthreading -- unless you get the extreme edition, in which case 4 consoles is in order
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Use TrayIt to put your minimized Folding Windows into the task tray. BTW, this sounds like the same procedure run two clients on a HT-enable P4, but I'm sure the production will be much, much better.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've got several systems where the cpu has HT enabled and I have 2 clients running and a dual xeon with ht enabled, so that one has 4 clients running on it. I think with the new one I'll leave ht off and just go with 2 clients.