Need idle temp for Palomino core Athlon

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Working on IC_11. Is 42*C an OK idle temp for a palomino-core Athlon processor that's been sitting at the BIOS for about 30 minutes? Want to make sure the temp is in spec before I go through with installing windows, where I won't be able to monitor temps for awhile.

I'm probably being paranoid, but it's been awhile since I worked with this processor, and IC_11 has had enough issues recently. If the temps are high, maybe I botched the AS5 or something.

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Your temps are perfect :).
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

(I feel like a parent who overreacts whenever the baby coughs...)
  • edited August 2005
    Yeah, temps sound decent, Garg. Bios will show temps closer to full load than to idle temps when sitting booted in windows. I take it that you don't have it overclocked while installing the OS, right?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    Yeah Palomino's werent the best with temps. 180nm if I remember?
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the help, everyone! :fold:
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, temps sound decent, Garg. Bios will show temps closer to full load than to idle temps when sitting booted in windows. I take it that you don't have it overclocked while installing the OS, right?
    Nope, still at stock 1600+ speed. I've gotten it to run at 1666mhz before, though, so I'm hoping to get at least that high again eventually.
    mmonnin wrote:
    Yeah Palomino's werent the best with temps. 180nm if I remember?
    Yup, these bigger cores sure run a lot hotter than t-breds and bartons. A lot pickier at higher temps, too. This chip had a tendency to lock up after 55*C last time I ran it, but my t-bred has made it into the 60s without any issues. Anyway, while it'll probably be a quirky chip, it should be faster than the Duron that I had in it. :thumbsup:

BTW - got her up and running. We'll see how she does tonight :)
    edited August 2005
    Weird. I can hear it hitting the hard drive every second or two. Guess I know how the last one wore out :eek:
    edited August 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Weird. I can hear it hitting the hard drive every second or two. Guess I know how the last one wore out :eek:
    Welp, I was wrong. That noise was the northbridge fan dying (just in case I forgot I was dealing with an Abit board). Luckily, I happen to have a large passive Zalman northbridge sink lying around, and I just got some artic silver adhesive in the mail :D. The northbridge *shouldn't* overheat with the flakey fan, so I'll get around to installing that sink later this week.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a temperature I should set it to auto-shutdown at for the northbridge?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If the passive sink is firmly affixed to the northbridge, you needn't worry about temperatures. A good passive sink is way superior to the silly little fan/sinks that are stock on the Abit boards. Unless you have a massive FSB overclock, just don't worry about it.
    edited August 2005
    I remember when the NB fan died on my old Epox board. I left it that way for weeks and it never caused me a problem. Well, I just checked the temperature log and it doesn't look like the fan dying has increased the NB temps one bit ;D. I'll still switch to that big Zalman unit sometime, but it's good to know I'll still have a NB chip left when I do :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    My Palomino could wouldnt go much past 55C either.
    edited August 2005
    I'm happy to report she ran all day without issue. 21% done with the WU I started yesterday night. Still at default 1400mhz - waiting to see how it handles hotter days before I OC it.

Peak temperature was 49*C from 1pm to 3pm. Today was kind of a cool day (high around 80*F - no A/C in my house), so while this is a good sign, I'm hoping it can make it through a hotter day. I have more powerful fans I can use if this one doesn't cut it. The good news is that it'll only be "hot" here for another month or so, and the headroom for OC'ing will gradually increase :D
  • edited August 2005
    What kind of hsf and mobo does IC_11 have, Garg?
    edited August 2005
    The mobo is an Abit KG7-RAID.

And as of yesterday night, IC_11 has become the first watercooled SMx rig :). I bought mtgoat's watercooling kit a few months ago, and I've finally put it to use. It's a Swiftech block, but I don't recall the model number. He also sent me a northbridge block, but it won't fit due to some caps in close proximity. I was sorta keeping it a secret until I finished all the cosmetic stuff, but I've mentioned that I was planning on doing it before, so I guess there wasn't much point in that. I should have some pics this weekend when I have the case better-setup. :thumbsup:

Edit (more info)
    The radiator holds 120mm fans. Right now I'm using a fan that I believe Leo sent when I first got IC_11. It's a thick Delta fan that's been shorted to 7 volts. So, the whole rig is practically silent. If it needs more powerful cooling, I have two other 120mm Sunon fans that move some serious air. I thought I'd try my luck with the quiet approach first, though :D
    The pump is an Eheim 1048, which came highly recommended by mtgoat and by every review I've read online. So far, I'm pretty impressed with the pump :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    ...And as of yesterday night, IC_11 has become the first watercooled SMx rig :) ...
    That is awesome! :thumbsup::fold:

There are over two dozen other Hosts who are going to be extremely jealous. :D
  • edited August 2005
    Damn it seems a shame to waste a good watercooling setup on an old Pally proc. PM me if you want to upgrade it a bit. :)