Welp, got the MONSTER up and running lastnight.

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited August 2005 in Hardware
Got all my parts in from Newegg yesterday and spend 1.5 hours putting the thing together. Perfect boot up on the first boot...and surprised me since this is the fastest build I've done yet (Yes, I time myself...sad isnt it?).

Anyhow, both 7800GTX cards were running seamlessly in SLI by 9pm and to my surprise it was pretty easy to set up. Finally got all my patches and SP2 loaded up by 1045 then proceeded to install and update Star Wars Galaxies. Was able to hop ingame for about 15 mins to check everything out.

I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

I set everything to HIGH, turned off LOD manager and turned on Volumetric shadows...and I've just never seen something that beautiful. It was like the first time I saw it using a 6800GT card...like getting that first bike at christmas.

I did get a couple freezes loading in, and I'm betting that its cause I had my RAM voltage a bit to low. Asus boards come set on auto to 2.70 but the OCZ plat rev2 askes for 2.75, so I'm probably going to bump it up to 2.80.

Nothing is OC'd yet, this is all stock. Idle temp for the 4000+ on the mobo is 36C. I know the mobo temp is usually a little high, so I'd say anywhere from 30-35C is my idle and 45C is under l oad. Zalman makes a kickass 120mm fan/hs thats so quiet, I actually couldnt sleep lastnight cause everything was TO quiet. 7800's are idling at 44c and hit 53C under load so I'm really pleased about that.

The only thing that was getting on my nerves were the power cables on the OCZ modstream PSU I bought. Those things are like bending metal bars. Strong as heck, but not very manuverable.

Guess I better hit the OC forum now and get some advice on what to do. Never OC'd before now...I am such an Intel to AMD convert!!!

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    :wow:

Holy crap, thats one hell of a system. What does it 3DMark05 at?
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    Havent had a chance to even do one yet. Thought about doing a pre-OC mark and an post-OC mark.

Just to add, I've never had a system that did a full install of XP in less then 25 mins. I'm using IDE drives on this thing and its like it didnt even care.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Pssst.... It's Athlon, not AthAlon.... in your sig there....
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Please for the love of all things techie...

3DMARK that badboy :cool:

Im so jealous, that's a seriously MONSTER setup!
  • edited August 2005
    Nice...as of right now I'm having a pretty high end system built for me..I also play SWG, so I'm super eager to see the difference between an Ati 9550 and the X850!

btw, what server do you play on?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    that looks like a complete beast of a system. enjoy it
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Still can't believe you didn't go Dual-Core...
    edited August 2005
    Heatseeker wrote:
    Nice...as of right now I'm having a pretty high end system built for me..I also play SWG, so I'm super eager to see the difference between an Ati 9550 and the X850!

btw, what server do you play on?

Gorath.
    edited August 2005
    A dual core just doesnt give enough advantage on a gaming rig to justify ploping one in. Perhaps if I were trying to play 2 games at one time, or run 2 seperate editing programs at the same time...then I could see the use. I dont plan on doing that though.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    jradmin wrote:
    Just to add, I've never had a system that did a full install of XP in less then 25 mins. I'm using IDE drives on this thing and its like it didnt even care.
    yeah my xp install was fastest thing for me also. Mine took about 10 mins I'd say though.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    hey pilotswings, how much was you rig minus the kb and all that crap
    edited August 2005
    "CRAP" YOU SAY?!!! :eek:;D

Well I totaled it up not too long ago, and it came up to $1100 with everything. I'll break it down for you though. Here's what I paid for all the parts I'm currently running:

Case - $112
    Mobo - $125
    CPU - $155
    HD - $199
    RAM - $90
    Video - $124
    PSU - $70
    Total $875 for just the rig
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    yeh..im ordering slightly more expensive ram and the same ssize seagate with new optical drives and a pretty ocz modstream psu. cant wait to get it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I am such an Intel to AMD convert!!!
    So, when you stepped out of the river, the dove of AMD alighted on your shoulder, and bright light from the clouds shone upon your face. And there was the expression of perfect serenity on your face... Did the angels sing?

Beautiful system. I must not read too many threads like this. I want at least another year out of my systems before I spend big bucks.
    edited August 2005
    yeh..im ordering slightly more expensive ram and the same ssize seagate with new optical drives and a pretty ocz modstream psu. cant wait to get it.
    yeah i bought my ram used from gnomewizard not too long ago. It works great, but not good for overclocking :)
    edited August 2005
    I loaded up and ran BattleField2 lastnight with graphics set to high and 4x AA.

No skips
    No lag
    Minimum loads

Its a dream...oh yes a dream :)