Successful Overclock!

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited September 2005 in Hardware
Every time I try to overclock something, I miserably fail. Until today. I downloaded the Rage3D Tweak for CCC, and I got a stable overclock!!

This is still on my 9800pro. Stock is 378/337. I was able to keep it stable w/o artifacts at 411/391. Once I went higher on either, I started getting immediate artifacts.

I'm going to go play some CS:S now and see how horrible it looks!!! ;D

Here's the proof :p
untitled1lw.jpg

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Woooot!!....... :wtf: :woowoo:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Looks like you've done it. :)

Careful - the OC'ing bug can be contagious! :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    So how does CS:S look- nice 'n' smooth or artifact city?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    haha.. I'm really not sure. There's definitely no artifacts, but things seemed to be fine for a little while. Then things would freeze for a second, and get choppy, then lots of things turned purple. I lowered the OC down to 405/371 and it seems better now.

I dont think my card is ANY good at overclocking, mainly because the stock heatsink is there, and on very loosely. The last time I tried to fix it by taking the heatsink off, I put a big scratch on the pcb board right across a wire. Luckily it didn't damage the card, but I dont want to mess with the heatsink anymore. :p
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2005
    You definitely need better cooling on it. The standard heatsink was crap to begin with, get an Arctic Cooling hsf fan on it.
  • edited August 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    You definitely need better cooling on it. The standard heatsink was crap to begin with, get an Arctic Cooling hsf fan on it.

Not worth the money.

Save it and go for a new card.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited August 2005
    It's worth it if he is'nt upgrading & they don't cost much, especially second hand
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited August 2005
    i say you just find some sort of guide to take of the HSF and put one that they reccomended.
    edited August 2005
    i just ordered an x800pro from NE the other day. It'll be here this week. That's why I dont care about upgrading the hsf :p I wanna just sell it stock.

You'll see the 9800pro in the depot in a few days :)
    edited September 2005
    w00t!! I've overclocked my x800pro from 475/450 to 551/565!! Very stable, great temps. Totally stock cooling. I might upgrade to an Artic Cooler sometime, but not soon. It's great how it is now!

untitled7up.jpg
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited September 2005
    the purple you saw with the 9800pro is texture corruption. If you backed off the memory overclock it would have gone away.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    w00t!! I've overclocked my x800pro from 475/450 to 551/565!!...
    Pretty hefty increase! :D

Just wondering, but what games are you playing on it and how big a difference do you really see? I'm not talking about FPS, just what you can spot with your own eyes.
    edited September 2005
    I religiously play CS:S. I can only see a little bit of increase just with my eyes. I'm going to fool around with the graphics settings in a little bit and see if I can get it any better.