PSU question

edited August 2005 in Hardware
I've got an e-machines computer.. the motherboard model is: L7VMM2

The 250w psu for it works fine, though its fan decided to break after about a year, so I bought a new PSU. Within a Week, it died completely on me. It's an ATX power supply by... (uh) Nspire. I don't understand why a brand new PSU would just die like that. I'd left it on over night, and when I got back to the computer, it wouldn't turn on at all. I switched out PSUs to the old one with a broken fan just to see... and that one still works. I've been told that it could possibly be my motherboard, but I still don't see why the older one still works and didn't just die too. I've also heard that it could be just coincidence that this one just died on its own. Can someone enlighten me, please? :o Thanks

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    sounds like a coincidence compounded by the famous Cheap Piece of Crap PSU of Death

PSUs are something that top dollar should be spent on. They are critical and the quality varies greatly. Name brands like Antec are the way to go with PSUs.
  • edited August 2005
    I was hoping it was that and not my motherboard... :P the newer PSU was a bit heavier than the old and had 2 fans in it. The old one had just one. Thanks again! :) *edit: sorry, I just realised there's a psu area to post :S*
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If the older one worked satisfactorily, why don't you just splice in a new fan? You could use one of the fans from the new PSU.

Just make sure:

PSU is unplugged, not just turned off.
    Insulate the spliced wires well with electrical tape.
  • edited August 2005
    I'm not sure how to get the PSU case open, and I've been told it still holds an electrical current... though that was one of my initial thoughts before buying the new psu :o
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If you UNPLUG the PSU and let it sit for half an hour, any charge within will dissipate. There should be four tiny screws on the bottom of the PSU that will allow to pull the PSU cover off.