Ooops SM17 has been done for a while

qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
Hey everyone,

I've been more or less living at work for the last 2 weeks and failed to notice that SM17 hasn't been turning anything in for at least a week. My monitoring program shows (F@Hlogstats) its still on the network but it must be frozen. I'll get my brother to reboot it and if that doesn't work I'll be home on the Saturday morning (I hope) to figure out the problem and fix it. Because I'm combining a couple of computers I've got spare of everything (CPU/RAM/HD/PS/MOBO) so it'll be fixed for sure.

P.S. Do any of the folding programs send out messages if a WU isn't completed within a certain timeframe? I'd really love something that emailed me if a WU wasn't done or if a new frame hadn't been completed in x hours. If not I'm going to code something up because this keeps happening to me on various computers.

Hopefully this won't happen again :/

Derek aka Qp.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    EMIII does alert if there is a "time per frame problem."
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    I dont think it sends an email tho.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You know, that'd be a really interesting programming project to work on. A client program that would run on the folding computer that would poll the folding program. It would send stats, perhaps every hour or so, to a php page on a server. Green would be all systems go. Yellow would be not folding properly (but client is still contacting the server). Red would be no contact made from to the server from the client in over 2 hours or something.

To my dismay, I'm super busy with school right now. However, if anyone has an urge to take this puppy on, go for it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Good idea Blue Knight... I know nothing about programming though. I hardly ever log into my home systems so I rely on EOC Stats to show that something SM19 is working. An email when things die would be MUCH better than EMIII, since I have to be logged into a PC at home inorder to check EMIII.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    EMIII has a provision for generating an HTML report on a regular basis. To turn that into an automatic notification service would require someone slightly more clever than myself, but that's not asking much. :vimp:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    It's very easy to write a java program that e-mails a log at a given interval - it's also probably not overly difficult to get it to check for problems (by checking for how the core closed on the last time). It is however, difficult to write a program that sends an e-mail when the computer crashes. If everything locks up, then the program won't run. In this case, the only indication of a problem would be that you weren't getting regular updates.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    shwaip, with the good work you've already done for the SMx Stats Page, would it be too much to ask that you design something anyone can use for their own Folding farm? I know I would love it. :)
    shwaip wrote:
    ...If everything locks up, then the program won't run. In this case, the only indication of a problem would be that you weren't getting regular updates.
    Actually, that's probably all you'd need. Every time I see that EMIII blood-red monitor screen for one of my local machines, I get to scrambling to check things out. Even in the paradoxically unlikely event that a locked-up system could report the exact nature of its troubles, you'd still need to pay it a personal visit.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Okay. I'll dig a bit deeper into the concept.

Server Side:
    This would have to be somthing similar to PHP with a database (like mySQL) running in the background. There would be a PHP display page and then a PHP back door that the Client would talk to after authentication (not too hard so far). The Server would keep track of what Client connects and when it connected. In PHP, you could then have a list of the servers, with information as to work units and such, as well as a status light (green, yellow, and red). The trick is to get it to detect if the status goes to yellow or red and then send an e-mail to certain people saying, "look at SM__. It's got this problem and I haven't heard from it in so many hours / days".

Client Side:
    This would be more of a service that polls the folding client itself or EMIII. Personally, I think it'd be better to poll the folding client directly as it cuts out the middle man. The client would poll perhaps every 30 to 60 minutes and then sleep. During the polling process, it could then authenticate with the server, and then give a status code... this part can be whatever really.

Anyways, that's my idea. The client only has to communicate to the server, so it doesn't generate the e-mails. Since the server would probably be stored here, it would do the rest of the work. So, if the client goes down, the server would be the one to notice and send out the e-mails.

Well, that's my idea. It really sounds like fun... I just wish I weren't so busy.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I was thinking that there's really no reason to even have the server. There is a java library called javamail that allows you to connect to any pop3, smtp, or imap (i think - not sure about imap) server. The person who wants to recieve an e-mail could set up a free email account (I know gmail works), and make the subject line have a very brief status (rig name, attention needed or not). The e-mail itself could contain a log of the last few work unit terminations, and by looking at the code that the core generates, the user could decide if any action is needed. Once again, the indication of a major problem would be that you're not getting e-mails from the rig.

BluKnight - I think your suggestion would work great for larger farms, and owners who have the knowledge of how to set up mysql and php, but it may be a little complex for someone with a couple computers and minimal experience with mysql/php.