I guess it's over for me.

edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
My dad has been complaining a lot about the electric bill as of late ($220/month) and is now telling the rest of the family to turn the computers off when we're not using them. This means that my folding scores will tank, and (pretty much) means that folding on any of the computers at home is pointless. :(

I already have my monitors turn off after only 3 minutes of inactivity (the rest of the house's computers are set to something like 15, I believe). I guess that's not good enough, though.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You've still got the office computer at least :(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Tough luck. Sorry to hear it. I can understand though. When a household budget is in trouble, something has to give. Such is life. Would your dad consider a utility contribution of $5 or $6 a month from you? Try it. He might just buy off on that.
  • edited September 2005
    Well, in my house we have a LOT of tropical aquariums and a LOT of computers (at least for the average household). Since the fish need their filters and heaters to be on 24x7 to live, the computers are the next to go.

Granted, our refrigerator is about 30 years old now and costs about $200 a year to run (the newer ones cost about $75). Then again, a new fridge costs about a grand, and turning off the computers when not sitting in front of them is free.
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited September 2005
    Computer or no computer, you still made an amazing contribution in the folding area and no one can take that away. Great job on your efforts and maybe one day you can begin to fold on again.