eVGA 6600GT Video Playback Problem

MMOEnthusiastMMOEnthusiast Lawls-ville, Rofl-SA!
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hi there. Just bought a new eVGA 6600 GT, and the thing works like a dream in all games. However, there is one thing I have noticed, and that is that I can't play -any- videos using Windows Media Player, Zoom Player, or Winamp. No kind of movie file/movie clip will play. The player will open up, and then i'll get monster lag, and when I check my processes, the player is using 97-99% of my CPU. No video playback at all, sometimes i'll get small bits and pieces of audio, but even then it's choppy and non-distinguishable at best. I'm using the newest eVGA drivers from http://www.evga.com, and like I said, it's a brand new card. Any help on this subject?

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    Yikes, that is odd.. I would probably remove the evga drivers, and try nvidia's latest geforce unified drivers from www.nvidia.com. I'm not sure if evga has done something funky to theirs. Most manufacturers simply use the nv ones anyhow.
  • MMOEnthusiastMMOEnthusiast Lawls-ville, Rofl-SA!
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, even with the 78.01 Forceware drivers from http://www.nvidia.com, same problem. Anything else, perhaps, that might be causing it?
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited September 2005
    Right click on your deskto and hit Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce 6600GT > Color Correction

Is "Apply color changes to:" set to "All"?. This probably isn't the issue since it happens with the latest drivers, but when I first got my 6800GT... all videos appeared washed out, yet games ran fine. Changing that setting from "desktop" to "all" fixed everything.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited September 2005
    i've just tried to play LOTR on DVD in my machine and it won't play either. My hunch is that it isn't recognizing the dvd format because I don't have the correct codec installed for it. Windows media player doesn't even see a dvd in the drive. It's the first time I've tried it.

For example, see this from MS:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/play_cds_and_dvds_how_to.aspx

Just a thought.

Flint
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys, I do appreciate the theories.

@ Nosferatu:

The drop-down box you talked about was set to Desktop, but other than an increase in the color intensity and depth of my games (Thanks! ^^), the video playback still messes up and doesn't play.

@ Flintstone:

The movies i'm trying to play are things like .avi and .mpeg, although if I tried to play a DVD, it might not work either, i'm not sure, I haven't tried. I have alot of anime (laugh laugh, yes) and movies that i've converted from DVD format to .avi and .mpeg, and i'd hope that I won't have to encode them again. As for codecs, I thought that might have been it too, but I downloaded new versions of all my codecs, and still nothing. I thought it might have been that the codecs were imprinted to my old video card (ATI 9800 Pro Made By ATI), but even after uninstalling everything with ATI in it from my system, then deleting and reinstalling the codecs, nothing.

I sincerely appreciate the help gents, i'm trying to fix the problem myself, but it's eluding me. As the help keeps coming, I hope we can come to some conclusion. Until that time, I hope that the help keeps coming in. Thanks again! ^^
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    try grabbing a good codec pack (like DefilerPak or the Combined Community Codeck Pack [CCCP for short])
    edited September 2005
    I'm using the Kazaa Full Codec pack, newest one. :/
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You might want to reinstall DirectX 9, just for grins.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited September 2005
    i would avoid the all-in-one codec packs....they always seem to make things worse IMO.

remove all codecs, then just install the newest divx and xvid codecs found in the Short-Media downloads section. see if your files will play....then use an app like gspot to identify any files that won't play and what exact codec you need for them.

the less codecs the better if you ask me...

might want to also try a registry cleaner...
    edited September 2005
    @ GHoosdum:

Thanks, i'll try that. I never thought to try and reinstall DirectX.

@ ryko:

Hmmm. Xvid and DivX? Sure, i'll give it a whirl. And could you give me some suggestions for Registry Cleaners? Never exactly had to/wanted to use one, so I don't know a thing about them. ^^ Perhaps some guidance?

Again, to all of you, thanks for the ideas. I'm open to try anything short of buying a new video card/reinstalling Windows (too much stuff ><). Keep the ideas coming in! ^^
    edited September 2005
    I FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM! Problem is, I have no idea how to fix it. So I was playing around with codecs and such, and after I uninstalled all of them, I noticed that Zoom Player came up with a window telling me all kinds of Codecs that I needed to play my DVD and anime rips. So I downloaded them one by one, and slowly but surely, I can now hear audio fully and completely. The problem is, I still don't see video, so the last codec I had to install was DivX. Xvid and Matroska all work fine, but for some reason, my computer is freaking out when it has to use DivX. Now that i've located the source of the problem (THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AMAZING HELP! ^^), any insight on what I can do to fix the problem? (Using the newest DivX Codec, which is 6)
  • edited September 2005
    Hey I have a Club3d Nvidia GeForce 6600 n i have the exact same problem as you do -everything seems to work fine except video playback using a media player (i only have windows medial player and winamp). I try to open the video and the comp just lags using 99% of processing power, However with much persistance i have a soloution, well more of comprimise really.
    The problem appears not to be with codecs but with Nvidia's display drivers i dont think the problem can be fully corrected until Nvidia release the new driver with the fix.

The temporary soloution should get everything working again...

1. Right click the desktop and go to Properties > Settings (Tab on top right) > Click Advanced button.

2. Now click on the "Troubleshoot" tab

This should bring up a screen with a slider regarding Hardware accelaration.

3. Slide the slider either all the way to the left (idealy one space from the left because the comp may run a little slow with no help from the graphics card) then click ok .

Now your videos should work. However the only nac is that if you want to use your video card for more demanding things such as games etc...you have to put the slider to full again. But if you dont mind changing the slider to watch videos then its the soloution!

I hope this helps buddy, let me know if it worked for you cos it worked for me! :)
    edited September 2005
    @amofreg:

Thank you SOOOO much. That fixed the problem wonderfully. My only concern is that whole slider thing. I do hope nVidia comes up with a fix soon. Thanks for your help, it worked perfectly! :D
  • edited September 2005
    Hey Buddy, Have you tried playing your video files without putting the slider down recently? Because now all mine work without messing around with the slider, and I’m not sure why (not that I’m complaining!)
    edited October 2005
    amofreg wrote:
    Hey Buddy, Have you tried playing your video files without putting the slider down recently? Because now all mine work without messing around with the slider, and I’m not sure why (not that I’m complaining!)

No, I haven't. Tried it today, still doesn't work. I'm beginning to think it might be something with the drivers... I dunno. I'll try reinstalling my drivers with the newest ones (the ones I already have). Do you think that Beta drivers may help? Thanks in advance!
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2005
    sigh, nevermind
  • edited October 2005
    I just got a XFX 6600gt AGP and i'm having the same problem. Moving the slider makes de videos work but the performance is not the same. I can clearly see that it no longer 24fps playback :(

Any new solution, please, tell us something.

Thanks in advance
  • edited October 2005
    I am also having this problem. Swapped my 6600 from one PC to this PC and now when i run video playback the whole PC pauses for like 5 secs, tries to load when accessing video files in Media Player.

Sound works fine, the old video card is fine.

I started by.

Installing latest Nvidia Drivers - No Luck
    Updated DirectX 9.0c (Again) - No Luck
    Disabled Acceleration sliders - Works with Direct X Disabled

Checked for Hardware Conflicts - No Luck

Un-Installed Nvidia Drivers and used the default windows VGA drivers - OMG it works (read below though)

Re-Installed Nvidia Drivers 63.91, 77.77 and latest in that order and they all dont work - Same problem.

Interesting thing is with standard VGA Drivers though is that after 10 secs of video footage Media Player brings up and Error 01x0001cd or something like that (Unidentified Error)

Checking MSoft websites it says that some programs calls are failing to access some other programs (Or some such).. this leads me to beleive that updating my old Drivers card drivers (TI4200) to my 6600GT has corrupted something in the OS.. Although I cant see why or how.

I have tried finding and removing codecs and will continue to do so as there is something stuffed somewhere

BTW - On the other PC that was installed fresh with this card it ran video Fine.. on this.. nope.. I am resigning myself to a complete re-install to fix this problem.

Question, have others had this problem from fresh install all after a hardware upgrade ??

Any thoughts.. Anyone please.. A reinstall is going to be painful with the ammount of crap i need to re-install, patch/update :-) Even with broadband.

Removed all codecs and doesnt stall, just gets errors connecting to codec module (No surprise there).. installed k-lite codecs.. get sound but no picture with Errors occuring in some module connections...
  • edited October 2005
    It makes sense. I just did the upgrade.
    Removed the drivers. Removed the old graphics card and installed the new one.

Could this be the problem?
  • PapirossaPapirossa Italy
    edited October 2005
    I'm SO comforted reading this posts! I've been browsing Internet for WEEKS to find a solution, and I ended thinking I was the only one in the world...

Amofreg, MMOenthusiast, Drathu, I've got the same problem, here.
    After upgrading to Geforce 6600GT, everithing beautiful, but NO VIDEO (no MPEG, no WMV, no DVD, no DivX, just AVI): just a big LAG, black screen and some piece of audio here and there.

I was not sure it was because of 6600, 'cause at same time I installed a game which put some Indeo player on my PC to work.

I reinstalled newest nVidia drivers, OLD nVidia drivers, reinstalled Directx, downloade two all-in-one codecs (SOB!) downloaded players never heard about before, cleaned up every dirty corner of my Hard disk an registry.
    Nothing. :bawling:

So looks like we have an nVidia problem here. Has anyone tried to contact nVidia or card manifacturers? 6600GT has been out for MONTHS now, is it possible there's not been FEEDBACK on this? :shakehead

Well I'll keep an eye on this forum, now I know I'm not alone and my work is not only for me.

See you
  • edited October 2005
    Alrighty, update from my end. I have formatted and re-installed XP.. Video works fine with standard drivers (VGA standard crap)..also fine after updated to dx9.0c.. as soon as i install video drivers to support 3d acceleration (Ie Nvidia Nforce 77.77 or Winfast 77.77 forceware drivers).. I get the video crash problem again with movies.. <sarcasm on> YAY <sarcasm off> .. yes this is ****ting me.

So anyone thinking of reformatting to fix problem, dont waste your time.....

I swapped my card back to the other PC and it works fine with latest drivers, so It seems to be some driver/hardware issue with certain rigs.

I got about 18 nvidia drivers and installed back to 66.93 Nforce Drivers, and Lo and behold with the 66.93 drivers video works fine.. It seems when they moved the drivers to the 6000 card series upgrade (Ie shader support accelerated video ) or whatever they added after this, is causing problems with some hardware rigs.

After re-reading nvidia faq lists i got still bugger all, cant email them as they only make the chipset, so I have emailed the card manufacturer an Essay on what i have tried, done and banged my head against.

So atm i have 66.93 drivers (Which will play video and 3d games) although the 3d is crap as it doesnt support any of the wiz bang 6000 series card stuff... Ie my framerate is about 1/3 down in Battlefield2 and there is no shadow support (box shadows)... So pretty much pointless card in this PC... I am going to await response from manufacturer and then consider (getting another card for this pc and move this back to the other one where it works fine), or preferably find a freaking fix for this problem.

Anyone hears anything else, please post. I have spent close to 16 hours in the last 3 days trying to sort this.
  • edited October 2005
    Downloaded the 1 day old 81.85 Nvidia Drivers.. This sorta made the problem get a little better.. Instead of hanging the system, i still could move the mouse round, though I couldnt click anything or ctrl alt delete etc.. But the better news was the system rebooted itself..

When windows came back up I had all kinds of error reports logged that linked to the driver and infinite loop hardware calls.

Here is some error information
    ERROR SIGNATURE

szAppName : Drivers.Display szAppVer : 10DE00F1A22011107D
    szModName : nv4_disp.dll szModVer : 6.14.10.8185 Offset : DAA106EA

Error Log
    C:\WINDOWS\LogFiles\Watchdog\051020_1941_01.wdl

Error Log Contents
    //
    // Watchdog Event Log File
    //

LogType: Watchdog
    Created: 2005-10-20 19:41:33
    TimeZone: -600 - AUS Eastern Standard Time
    WindowsVersion: XP
    EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

//
    // The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
    // usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
    // driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
    // display device vendor for any driver updates.
    //

EaRecovery: 1
    ShutdownCount: 14
    Shutdown: 0
    EventFlag: 1
    EventCount: 1
    BreakCount: 1
    BugcheckTriggered: 1
    DebuggerNotPresent: 1
    DriverName: nv4_disp
    DeviceClass: Display
    DeviceDescription: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00F1&SUBSYS_2011107D&REV_A2
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0006000E 000A1FF9 0006000E 000A1FF9 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000
    DriverCompanyName: NVIDIA Corporation
    DriverFileDescription: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 81.85
    DriverFileVersion: 6.14.10.8185
    DriverInternalName: nv4_disp.dll
    DriverLegalCopyright: (C) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.
    DriverOriginalFilename: nv4_disp.dll
    DriverProductName: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 81.85
    DriverProductVersion: 6.14.10.8185

Ok after all that i searched the error listed and got a microsoft help information for it
    Link is here ----> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078

Lo and behold there workaround is to do what we have been doing disabling direct X.. they also say this is a driver/hardware card issue and to download latest drivers.

I checked back to drivers on NZONE where i got the latest drivers from and downloaded the .pdf with information on the current build. There is listed for the 6800/6600 a non displaying of video issue still yet to be resolved in their list of issues not yet resolved.. So hopefully they are working on it.

Hope this helps someone.. Download the drivers from http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html
    for the latest ones try them and post what you get.
  • edited October 2005
    On nzone website a guy fixed the problem by upgrading his mboard chipset drivers

Forum link --> http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8161
  • edited October 2005
    FIXED !!!

WOOT... Check what chipset is on your motherboard..I had intel 82865 chipst (865).. I used the intel update (Driver update) to the latest version, and problemo fixed.

Just like that other dude. Try it.. I am finally happy.
  • edited October 2005
    That's good news!! I'm happy for you drathuu, hope it works for the rest of us either.

Just for the record, I sent an email to XFX and i'm pasting the content of the reply here. Just did the driver cleaner thing and it didn't work for me. Maybe it can be useful to someone else.

Dear customer:

By performing the following troubleshoot steps may resolve the problem you
    have experienced:

Remove all existing interface(AGP, PCI) cards in the system other than the
    video card.

Uninstall current video card driver in add or remove program in control
    panel. Use a driver cleaner software (which is available on:
    http://www.drivercleaner.net ) afterwards. Restart computer in windows safe
    mode, reinstall video card driver.

Update motherboard BIOS and chipset driver. If update is not available,
    reinstall motherboard chipset drive(including AGP or PCI-E driver depending
    on model).

Fastwrite should be disabled in BIOS.

Ensure system power supply meets the requirement.

We have users reported that beta drivers would provide solution to the
    problems which some experienced. For beta drivers, please log on to:
    www.guru3d.com.

Download SIS SANDRA LITE 2005 from: http://www.download.com
    After you install this software, open it and double-click on "environment
    monitor wizard", run a game for 1 minute and then exit the game, Check on
    the 3rd diagram if the power supply voltage(12V) goes off 1-3.

Sincerely,

XFX VGA Technical Support
    (800)880-3225
  • edited October 2005
    It was no diferent with me. It WORKED!!!

Dam, I'm Happy :DDDDD

Thank's a lot
  • edited October 2005
    Ok I got my 6600GT last month and thought I'd share my experience with the thread and hopefully I'll finally be able to run the latest drivers with the solutions you guys have discovered! First off when I put the card in at first I used the latest drivers and all video and 3D accelleration was perfect. Then I started a new school semester and had to get rid of my liteXP (stripped windows XP) because it couldn't update to SP2 and I needed .NET for my visual basic class. Install standard XP-Updated SP2-Installed .Net and the rest of my goods, then find out about this video playback issue. 99 CPU..orly? it just worked on a different xp install...seems like with XP detecting it and only made things worse was my first conclusion.

So luckily a gaming buddy of mine has the same card, same issue and recommended me this driver (71.89 standard) which solved the problem (none above that version worked) but was just a coup-out because I was like 6 versions behind the latest :(

Been using that until just this weekend I decided to see if the latest forceware fixed this issue (81.85) and found out like another member that it only made things worse by causing the computer to bluescreen/reboot. lol!

Today I get Quake4 and am having video issues: Old driver: black screenings but game keeps running. New driver: video & pretty much all of game but sound/escape key freeze up...sometimes crashes.

So here I am solving the maybe/hopefully root of my problem in this chipset buggery...Here I go wish me luck. Even if Q4 doesn't work I'll be happy to be up to date with working video.

update:
    Well I could have sworn I had updated my nForce2 chipset driver(s) before and it didn't help .. maybe the 80.* fixed problems with my board..I don't really want to check :p installed the nForce drivers again after running the driver cleaner and I'm now running the latest forceware with working video! time to test Q4, thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

update2: Q4 works great! Been gaming it up.
  • edited October 2005
    I have the same problme too. Unfortunely, I am a game junky and a divx junky. So I am in trouble here. I read from the post above that update the chipset driver might help. So, here is my question, I am a AMD 3000 XP and a Soyo Dragon plud 600KT. What KIND of chipset driver should I get. Currentl i am using 7.1.8.9, it work, but the proformance leave a lot to be desired.
  • edited October 2005
    It looks like you have a motherboard with a via chipset. They have a unified driver at their site. http://www.viaarena.com

Take a look at your motherboards manual to make sure.
  • edited October 2005
    It WORK. I download the new via board driver and now evga 8.1.5.0 driver is working and no mroe video problem.

To everyone, donwload the latest mb driver, it can made a world of difference.