FM transmitter

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited September 2005 in Hardware
So I just got an mp3 player for my birthday (Rio ce1200, 2.5gb). I also got a Belkin FM transmitter with it, but, well, it's junk. It can only select 4 stations, and all four of those are about half-occupied by a station or two. Even when I stick it right next to the car antenna, it's very static-y.

So does anyone have one, and what are your opinions on it? I need something that's strong as hell.

If they all pretty much broadcast at the same strength, then I guess I'll just go back to the tape adapter.

Oh, right now I have the Belkin Tunecast (not II, just I).

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    In my experience, wireless FM transmitters = crap. I've never found a good one, which is odd because when I used to have an aftermarket CD changer, it was crystal clear. I'm actually looking into a new head unit for my car with a front-panel AUX input so I can plug in my iPod.

Your best bets are the cassette adapter, an FM modulator hooked right to the antenna, or a unit with AUX input.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited September 2005
    Aux input... now there's an idea. How recently have they started putting those suckers in car stereos?

Apparently you can also mod the Tunecast I/II by putting a longer wire in it, and that'll make it better... maybe I'll try it.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    My 1993 Eclipse had an AUX input, so they've been doing it for a while. I think they've become more popular in the last few years with the advent of MP3 players. Companies are now making units that are "iPod ready" which is a euphemism for "Buy our $99.99 attachment that lets you control your iPod through our stereo!"
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I looked into them cause I wanted to play my MP3 player through something other than a tape adapter and it looks like most people think they all suck. I'll be getting a new head unit with a line in port on the front to connect to next.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I have a Neuros MP3 player, which comes with an FM transmitter inside... it's alright, but works much better in the car if someone holds it (thereby becoming the antenna).
    edited September 2005
    Yeah, too many things you need to do to get those damn things to work. Should I get a girlfriend just so she can be my antenna?;D
    edited September 2005
    Heh, good idea.

"Want to go to eat?"
    "Nah, just stay there... move your arm up a bit."
    "See a movie?"
    "No, not really. Lean that way."
    "Should I-"
    "UNLESS YOU WERE GOING TO SAY, 'BE THE ANTENNA,' NO!"

Yep. That'd go over well ;D

(I got the TunesCast II.. it's a bit better actually, and some stations are great. I noticed when you have it plugged in with the car adapter it's near-perfect, probably since it has a straight line to the reciever. So basically I'm still tied down to get really good reception. But there are times when it's perfect anyway, especially when someone is holding it.)
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited September 2005
    story continued from previous post:

"I think we have to have a talk."
    "Shh... keep your arm there, it's working!"
    "Well I don't think this is going to work."
    "It is so SHUT UP!"
    *girl attempts to jump off car
    *Kwitko presses gas peddle

you can guess what happens next.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    I have the griffin Itrip fm transmitter for my ipod and it works great. You have to be no more than im going to say 10 feet from the antenna before it gets fuzzy sounding. I reccommend it and it was only $35
    edited September 2005
    People in NYC have trouble with the FM transmitters, since there are so few open stations.
    edited September 2005
    Hah! I tried modding the TuneCastII, and promptly broke it. Luckily Walmart is a big company and they took it back, even if they probably won't get reimbursed since I opened it up.

I guess you can basically take the antenna and stick a speaker wire on it to make it a lot bigger. I'm thinking just wrapping a wire around the headphone plug (as that's where it's located) will work, too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Some guy also made his own little booster thing and it could be heard from up to 3 miles away. It's wayyy against the law, but still very cool.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    are you sure??? that would defeat the purpse of buying expensive equipment. do you have a link. cause if this works, i'll drop the change on it.