Folding in my name?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
Hey im just wondering, can I have 2 computers folding both in my name at the same time? Im folding on the pc in my room (the one im on now), but I was wondering if I could also fold on our "family" computer using my name, or if I would have to create a new folding account? Either way im going to fold on that pc also.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    you can fold on as many as you want, using the same name. That's how you rise through the ranks - recruit as many computers as you can (with permission) and get them all folding under your name, and you become the :csimon: folding pharaoh one day :ninja:
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited September 2005
    Hmmmm, wow i am incredibly stupid, it didnt even occur to me untilnow :shakehead

Ok well now i have another question. Since both pc's are using xp, if i make seperate accounts, can i be folding on them all at once under the same name and get like 4 times the amount of WU's ;)
    edited September 2005
    you (most likely) only have one processor in each computer, so it won't really work like that. Instead you'll get four WUs folding at a quarter of each of their normal performance, which will about equal out to the same performance as running one WU at 100%

:)
    edited September 2005
    alright, well im folding on our "family" computer right now. And umm the next time i go on a pc at school ill download it too.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    If you have an Intel-processor based machine running in hyperthreading mode, you can run simultaneously two instances of Folding at home. The two running at the same time will produce about 25% more than just a single instance. This only works though, on machines running in hyperthreading mode or machines that actually do have more than CPU - AMD or Intel.
    edited September 2005
    You have to get permission to run it on a computer that's not yours. Make sure you don't install it on a school computer without asking! Chances are, the network admin will not take kindly to a stealth install of software that he/she doesn't know about.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Hey Prime,
    Shouldn't you change your tag to " I used to use a Mac"? Or did they finally replace it?
    edited September 2005
    They replaced it. I never thought I'd have to do this, but I pulled out the "do you know who I am?" card with the apple public relations rep. ;D

I had to tell the PR lady that i was the owner of blah-blah website and we get blah-blah hits a month and such-and-such. Whatever...... it worked! The next day, I got a phone call from the tech - "They found a motherboard for you" .... magic! ;D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You're such a baller Prime. ;D
    edited September 2005
    You have to get permission to run it on a computer that's not yours. Make sure you don't install it on a school computer without asking! Chances are, the network admin will not take kindly to a stealth install of software that he/she doesn't know about.

Dont worry, my school has way too many computers for the admins to monitor all of them. We have I think 9 or 10 computer labs with 30+ computers in them, every class room has 2 pc's in it, and then the architecture classes that im taking have 30 pc's in them also. So i'd say that there are well over 500 pc's in my school.

Trust me, they wont know, or care. I had halo pc installed on one of the network drives so any free time we would play halo during school. well i dont think they knew about it either ;)
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited September 2005
    Tmh88, I think you are missing the whole point Prime is trying to tell you. And for two reasons -

1. Being responsible for others property. I worked at a Fortune 500 company one summer and to do something like that was a dismissable offense. I heard of one person doing SETI@home being dismissed (just one among a number of reasons). If you think about it, there are a lot of reasons why. The company may be using their computers for their own distributive computing project. In your case the school may find another use for their PCs and find all this stuff they didn't count on being there and have to waste time and money dealing with it. Just because they aren't using it now doesn't mean they won't. It's kind of like lending your $5000 Alienware PC to a friend and have it come back spamming polka music.

2. And maybe even more importantly- you are missing an opportunity to make a difference. Why hide the fact you want to do folding@home in a school!? If you can show the value of FAH and what it does and maybe even explain some of it, your school may actually recognize some educational and humanitarian value and jump on board and help install it! It might even help spread it to all the students, the district ... etc. Remember, FAH is not about keeping score but- for many of us- making a difference in the war against deadly diseases. The name you might make doing that may be much better than the one you would get in any scoreboard standing.

Please think it over -
    edited September 2005
    Yep, Oriane has it exactly right - please DO NOT install F@H without permission. We do NOT want non-authorized computers folding for our team, period. We do not condone it, and you are doing yourself and the whole project a disservice. If you want the school computers to fold, point your school network admin to www.joinfolding.com :)
    edited September 2005
    Yep, Oriane has it exactly right - please DO NOT install F@H without permission. We do NOT want non-authorized computers folding for our team, period. We do not condone it, and you are doing yourself and the whole project a disservice. If you want the school computers to fold, point your school network admin to www.joinfolding.com :)

Alright i was partially kidding anyway. well actually...my friend is one of the "admins" i guess you could say. he fixes computers and helps the full time guys during studyhall, and after school. ill ask him and see what he says.

i wont do it until i get permission :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    tmh88, this is the kind of situation where you could pick up some easy extra credit, or if your school district has a community service requirement for graduation you could get a real head start on it.

Put together a presentation on what Folding is, what it hopes to achieve, and how people can help. If you check out the Science link, the Results page, and especially the Education section at Stanford's F@H page you'll find plenty of material to get you started.

Our own General Keebler has a Folding Flash presentation, too. You could make this into a real multimedia show.

You could do more good for the project as a whole by convincing the people around you to join than has currently been accomplished by even those with massive Folding Farms. If there are 500 computers in your school and you could convince the administration to go along with the idea it would be awesome! :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    It only takes one person (normal user/student/teacher) to complain about it for an Admin to look at it. Then it will come back to you.
    edited September 2005
    :D:):D
    profdlp wrote:
    tmh88, this is the kind of situation where you could pick up some easy extra credit, or if your school district has a community service requirement for graduation you could get a real head start on it.

Put together a presentation on what Folding is, what it hopes to achieve, and how people can help. If you check out the Science link, the Results page, and especially the Education section at Stanford's F@H page you'll find plenty of material to get you started.

Our own General Keebler has a Folding Flash presentation, too. You could make this into a real multimedia show.

You could do more good for the project as a whole by convincing the people around you to join than has currently been accomplished by even those with massive Folding Farms. If there are 500 computers in your school and you could convince the administration to go along with the idea it would be awesome! :D

Thankyou so much OMG you saved my life (well my grades at least). My calculus teacher is taking nightclasses at Pitt (you know pittsburgh university, the panthers) for a degree in computer science, and she's going to make us do a some sort of technology presentation. I'll do mine on folding and see if i can get my class to register with team 93. Thats like 25 more people folding although i doubt theyll do it because they could care less about anyone else. Anyway I'll definately do something on folding for my presentation. thanks