Overclocking problem

2»

Comments

• CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
    edited October 2005
    Hey. The amp rating for the +12V rail is 18. Attached a screen shot of Asus Probe. Voltages appear stable.
    Cannot believe the problems I am having trying to source some RAM.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    Crunchie wrote:
    Hey. The amp rating for the +12V rail is 18. Attached a screen shot of Asus Probe. Voltages appear stable.
    Cannot believe the problems I am having trying to source some RAM.

18A is a little weak for the +12V rail I'm afraid, but I have seen worse.. The next time you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, a nice Antec or OCZ power supply may be in order :D

Your voltage rails appear fairly accurate and are within the margin of error. No problems there.

Are there any large Australlian online retailers? Perhaps we can assist in finding you some good memory?
    edited October 2005
    None that I know of, but a quick google AU should show any up :). I will wait for the PC shop to get back to me with the results. They told me the 4200 listed were likely both DDR and DDR2 as the listed numbers were different, so fingers crossed.
    edited October 2005
    Ok. I have just managed to pick up some G-Skill F1 PC3200 sticks which I was told would be good for OC'ing. If they won't, then I am just going to :bawling: .
    According to the Man specs they will run at 2-3-3-6 timings at stock speeds.
    If I ramp up the FSB, what would I need to set these to? My BIOS allows me to set this to auto, should I?
    I had the FSB at 210 with the above timings and got an immediate crash :(.
    At worst I guess I end up with 2Gb of RAM :).
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, those tight timings will likely have to be loosened to get some frequency headroom out of them.

Try CAS 2.5, and leave the rest as-is..

So, 2.5-3-3-6.

Is this new set 2x1GB?
    edited October 2005
    2x512Gb. Same as the set up I had before. I now have 4x512 sticks. I pulled the originals and replaced them with the F1's. These new one's are a matched pair.
    Will have to try the CAS after I come home from work tomorrow, or later in the week. I have just purchased XP Pro so will be reformatting over the weekend.
    Nah, I will definitely make the CAS change tomorrow and see what happens.
    So that small alteration will make a lot of difference?
    edited October 2005
    Have it set to 2.5-3-3-6 now and the FSB on 210. Not getting any reboots now :).
    What would I need to set the AGP/PCI frequency to once I start upping the FSB a little more? It's set to auto at the moment. I understand that OC'ing can adversely affect this area.
    edited October 2005
    Crunchie wrote:
    Have it set to 2.5-3-3-6 now and the FSB on 210. Not getting any reboots now :).
    What would I need to set the AGP/PCI frequency to once I start upping the FSB a little more? It's set to auto at the moment. I understand that OC'ing can adversely affect this area.

Hi Crunchie, hopefully that ram has a good deal of headroom left at 2.5-3-3-6.

The only time you have to worry about the AGP/PCI frequency is if your mainboard has 'unlocked' busses. Some non-enthusiast boards will proportionally increase the AGP/PCI bus frequency, as the FSB frequency is increased. With your asus, you'll probably be fine just leaving it at AUTO. The board should lock your AGP at 66MHz, and your PCI at 33MHz.
    edited October 2005
    So far I haven't upped the FSB, I've been busy getting rid of W2K and installing XP Pro :).
    One thing I have noticed is that the cpu temp has dropped dramatically from the 47-49C mark, down to 39C just by installing XP. Wierd. The only thing I changed in the BIOS before installing XP was to enable Hyper threading. W2K was not compatible with it, so I had it disabled. What you think?? Could that have done this?

Just on a side note. I had to delete the partition my OS was on in order to reformat and install XP. Now my 'C' drive is my 'D' drive and vice versa. I have attempted to change the drive letter names, but I get a message from Windows telling me it is unable to change the paths.
    Any other way of doing this that you know of?
    edited November 2005
    Have upped the FSB now to 220Mhz. Ran a couple of benchmarkers with no problem.
    Ran Memtest 86 V1.6 but do not know what is meant to happen with it time wise.
    Once the screen comes up it runs a couple of tests, then it seems to stay on the following;

Pass 1%
    Test 0%
    Test #3 [Moving inversions, 8 bit pattern]

The only thing I see happening are the lights on my keyboard keep flashing :). So something must be going on.
    How long does test #3 run for? How many tests are there? How long do they all take?

Thanks.
    edited November 2005
    Hey Crunchie..

For me, it takes about 30 minutes or so to complete a loop through all of the tests (all nine of them). One of the early tests (might be #3) is a slow one, but I'm not sure why your keyboard lights are flashing.. Perhaps your system has hung?
    edited November 2005
    It seems to do it at the same point every time I run it. When I get a chance I will do it again and give it more time. Do you normally see a progress bar or something when it's running?
    edited November 2005
    Crunchie wrote:
    It seems to do it at the same point every time I run it. When I get a chance I will do it again and give it more time. Do you normally see a progress bar or something when it's running?

Yep, in the top right hand corner, you should see two progress bars (one for the entire testing process, and one for the current test).

To save yourself time, try to run loops of test #5 or test #8 only. They are the most demanding tests on ram, and if a failure is going to crop up, it will crop up during one of those. Just hit 'c' to get to the options menu, and manually select test 5/8.
    edited November 2005
    I have tried on the previous tests to bring that menu up without success. None of those options at the bottom of the screen work for me, I end up having to hit the reset button to get out of memtest.