WTB: Windows XP Pro

MizugoriMizugori NYC
edited September 2005 in Trading Post
can you buy this used?? new, used, oem (if i have to buy hardware to get it, whatever)

i just need this

it has to be legit though (the real cd) no burned copy stuff

thanks!

-corey

Comments

• qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited September 2005
    If you do buy a copy of XP used (which you can) be sure to get the Certificate of Authenticity. The CD is actually worth nothing in terms of "legality." Rather the sticker with barcode that's often found on the back of OEM computers is really what matters. The individual CoA may also be subject to conditions (e.g. only for use on a specific dell or hp or other oem computer).
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    Right - good advice.

Note - the OEM copies that you can buy (like I linked) are perfectly legal and will work on any computer.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Note - the OEM copies that you can buy (like I linked) are perfectly legal and will work on any computer.
    Yes, but as OEM, it must be sold with at least one item of hardware, and must also have a certificate of authenticity - the multicolored thing with shiny or holographic stamp.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I was wrong. I went to the Newegg link Pilot put up. The correct certificate was there, but the description said nothing about the OS having to be sold with hardware. It used to be vendors would sell OEM OS bundles with an IDE ribbon cable - something really cheap, but that would meet the terms of purchase agreements from MS.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yes, but as OEM, it must be sold with at least one item of hardware, and must also have a certificate of authenticity - the multicolored thing with shiny or holographic stamp.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I was wrong. I went to the Newegg link Pilot put up. The correct certificate was there, but the description said nothing about the OS having to be sold with hardware. It used to be vendors would sell OEM OS bundles with an IDE ribbon cable - something really cheap, but that would meet the terms of purchase agreements from MS.

yeah, if you look at the bottom of that item on newegg, it says must be sold with hardware... but one of the reviewers said that newegg sent him a cheap cable with it for free, so that must be how they get around it.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Leonardo wrote:

Newegg throws in a molex splitter when you order any OEM XP versions from them
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    yeah - and thats not "getting around it". It's perfectly following the rule. Any of that can be easily considered "Hardware" so its exactly what I would do if I were Newegg. :)
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    hey im not knocking newegg by any means.

anyone know if the xp in those pics i linked can be sold to me? guy says its from a pc that he got a local computer shop; "computer sonics"