Welcome Sledgehammer70 to Team 93!

2»

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    the red cog :)
    That's the graphical version. If you double-click the cog it should bring up a window with a progress indicator, a description of the particular protein you're Folding, and a nifty graphical simulation of the process.

Winga: I'll look into it. Don't be surprised if someone else happens upon this thread and answers your question first. :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited September 2005
    Welcome to the Team, Sledgehammer. :thumbsup:

Wish it wasn't so addictive. :(

Glad it's for a cause that benefits all of humanity. :D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    i should probably get in on this sometime also...
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Welcome Sledge !!!
    You made a good move. :thumbsup:

I would also suggest running Electron Microscope also know as EMIII (Screen shot below). It is a pretty cool app that lets you monitor all the machines on your network from your main rig. With all the horsepower you will be running it will come in real handy.

I think you will find that it become very addicting, and a lot of fun. Also I think you will find Short-Media a great place to hangout.

Once again Welcome !

Scott
    EM3.JPG 61.2K
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited September 2005
    i should probably get in on this sometime also...
    I would say so :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2005
    Welcome to the team guys!!

You can transfer Work Units from a computer to one that doesnt have internet.

Get the console, test only client. Set up the client on the one with the internet. Make sure to say yes to the advanced options. When it asks for a machine ID, put 2 instead of 1. The client for the computer with internet will be one. Do the same thing for both computers that do not have internet. Make a client on the one with internet and give a machineID of 2 and 3 for the ones w/o internet. Next after the client downloads all that it needs and is ready to work, copy the entire folder (the one with machineID=2 and the one with machineID=3) to each computer without internet. They must be separate folders with their own Work Units.

There is an option to get 10 WUs at once if you dont want to transfer the files over all the time. Say no to Work Units with deadlines and then the next question will be about minimizing network usage or something.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I'm getting a little fustrated, Maybe it is because I am processing 5000 frames on 1 project? but I have 7 computer chomping away and yet no WU completed, they are all working on 5000 frame projects. Is that normal?
    edited September 2005
    Nvm I have 2 WU completed...Yeah!!!!!

Now does it only show how many cpu's you have working as each tower completed 1 WU? since I have 2 QWU completed both form my towers at home so 1 processor eac. it will post 2 pro's right? so when 1 of my towers at work finishes a WU it will post 4 pro's?
    edited September 2005
    LOKay I am now at 22 Pentium 4 3.6 Processors folding away! I hope to rise in ranks here as my points slowly add up!

what is the most a WU is worth? point wise?
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2005
    Welcome! thanks for helping! :thumbsup:
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited September 2005
    The highest WU point is 625, I think. Although, I've never got one and I don't think many people do.

600 points is the second biggest which many people get :)
    edited September 2005
    Is there away to set the comps to use more than 25% resources? like set them for 100%?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Welcome to the team! Now that you're officially on the boards, I've changed the title of this thread to serve as your official welcome thread :thumbsup:

:smokin:
    edited September 2005
    :) awesome!
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited September 2005
    600 points. This link includes Beta units as well.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    You'll need to run 4 instances of folding at home to get it to use all of your virtual and real cpus. Since you're running dual p4s with HT, that means one console only takes 1/4 or 25% of the resources.
    1 Make 3 folders on your HD somewhere, name them something descriptive (fold2, fold3, fold4, or whatever you prefer).
    2 Download a copy of the no-nonsense console edition from stanford's site into one of the folders.
    3 Copy the file into all 3 folders.
    4 Run the program in the first folder you created - follow the setup prompts.
    5 If you choose install it as a service, it will start up automatically when the computer does - if you don't you'll see a dos console window.
    6 Choose "change advanced options".
    7 Set the machine id for the first console version to 2.
    8 Repeat 4-7 for each of the folders, but change the machine ID to 3 for the second console, and 4 for the third.

Be warned, running 4 consoles with the large memory wus can hog a massive amount of memory. The choice on that is yours.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Is there away to set the comps to use more than 25% resources? like set them for 100%?

What kind of rigs are these, dual Xeons with hyperthreading? In any case, however many CPUs you see listed in the performance tab of Task Manager is how many clients you'll need to use. If you only run one client and there are four processors on a machine, then it'll only use 25%. I think the only way to run multiple clients is to use the "no-nonsense text-only console". Each cleint on the same machine should have a different machine ID, so if you've got four processors (2 physical, each with HT on), you'll have machine IDs 1, 2, 3 and 4 on one machine, on 4 different clients (each client in its own folder).

You'll probably not want to stare at that many windows. You could set them up to run as services (an option when setting up the console for the first time), or you could just put links to them in your startup folder, and use a program like HideIt to stash them out of sight.
    edited September 2005
    Cool I will see if I can get it working,

the machines are as follows.

I have 2 Quad Pent 4 Xeons 3.6Ghz with HT, along with 4 Gigs ram! so inturn 8 virtual CPU's
    I also have a render farm of 8 IBM Pentium 4 Xeons 3.6Ghz with HT.. so another 16 CPU's

At home I just have a slew of AMD chips ranging from Durons to Athlon 64's 4000+...to many to list.

well I guess I only have 11 processors working away , with how it is setup now! But we will see if I can fix that!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Welcome to our freakish folding family.... :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    well I think Im doing good 15Wu's in 3 days almost pushing 3000points. is that good?
    edited September 2005
    Well for the Xeons, you would want to run 8 clients to use all the CPUs. That is if you want to.
  • edited September 2005
    Hah
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited September 2005
    Welcome! :thumbsup:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2005
    I have a total of 7 dual pro's with hyper threading so 21 CPu's in all that I will be running

YES! Pound away Sledge! :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    Well for the Xeons, you would want to run 8 clients to use all the CPUs. That is if you want to.

If they're quad xeons with HT.

In general, you want to have one client per core, real, or virtual (from HT).
    edited September 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    If they're quad xeons with HT.

In general, you want to have one client per core, real, or virtual (from HT).
    I have 2 Quad Pent 4 Xeons 3.6Ghz with HT...
    edited September 2005
    Pushing 4000 in less than a week:)
    edited September 2005
    @mmonnin - indeed. HOWEVER - reasons behind our suggestions should be explained so that they aren't asked repeatedly. (hence the in general).