Welcome Sledgehammer70 to Team 93!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
I have joined the Folding@Home team 93 :)

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Rock out! Welcome to the team! :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Welcome aboard!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Only been a member for a day, and already rockin' for Team 93! Thanks Sledge! :fold:
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited September 2005
    Welcome! :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    Welcome aboard.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I have a total of 7 dual pro's with hyper threading so 21 CPu's in all that I will be running.... how long does it take for the score to register?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    I have a total of 7 dual pro's with hyper threading so 21 CPu's in all that I will be running...
    :wow: :wow:
    ...how long does it take for the score to register?
    It depends on the size of the Work Unit. My experience has been that Stanford usually starts you off with a smaller one. If that's the case you'll be on the board in a day or two. Bigger WU's take somewhat longer, but are worth more points. :thumbsup:

Welcome to The Team! :D

:celebrate
    edited September 2005
    are we normally ranked 12th over all? I guess my new goal is to get us into the top 10! I wil add my home towers to the network also..I have about 9 comps at home....they are always running so I min-as-well make good use of them right?!
    whats another 30 CPU's to a good cause:)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Talk about jumping in with both feet!! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the team, Sledgehammer. It's always good to see new faces here.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    are we normally ranked 12th over all? I guess my new goal is to get us into the top 10!
    And it just might happen with that many new CPUs! :thumbsup:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I have a total of 7 dual pro's with hyper threading so 21 CPu's in all that I will be running.... how long does it take for the score to register?

Wow Dude that is some computing power you have there.
    If you don't mind me asking, what does one do with so much hardware :confused:
    Planning on taking over the world???

Seriously though, I think its great that we can do some good from the comfort of our home with little or no extra expense to ourselves. I have been looking into joining up but would appreciate a bit more info than the site gives.
    edited September 2005
    I am a Graphic Artist, or should say I do 3D Graphics, I have a nice size render farm that sits... and well it pretty much sits.... and computes things all day. So intern I have been a bit slow at work and have tons of comps that can be utalized. ASs long as I.T. doesn't kill me for bandwidth usage :)
    edited September 2005
    Winga wrote:
    ...I have been looking into joining up but would appreciate a bit more info than the site gives.
    Questions? Fire away. :D

EDIT:
    ...As long as I.T. doesn't kill me for bandwidth usage :)
    Shouldn't be a problem. Every couple of days each computer will upload the finished WU, then download a new one. They are just a couple MB's in size.

Other than that, there is no Internet usage at all - unless you get really hooked (like many of us) and check your Stats at Stanford fifty times a day. :vimp:
    edited September 2005
    how do you get one of the SM folding home team trackers?
    edited September 2005
    That's awesome

I see stanfords going to like you ;)

Do you have any of your work on the net where I can go to a site and check it out?
    edited September 2005
    um I have some but let me thumb throught it and get some of my newer work posted :)

Here is an image of a few of my work Beasts lol!

My_worksetup.jpeg
    edited September 2005
    how do you get one of the SM folding home team trackers?
    If you mean the point total showing in our signatures, once you've completed at least one WU you can use our S-M Sig Generator. You can also check your score straight from Stanford, or at this page. You'll be showing up on those lists very soon with your arsenal. :D
    edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Questions? Fire away. :D

EDIT:

Shouldn't be a problem. Every couple of days each computer will upload the finished WU, then download a new one. They are just a couple MB's in size.

Other than that, there is no Internet usage at all - unless you get really hooked (like many of us) and check your Stats at Stanford fifty times a day. :vimp:

whats involved with registering?
    What software do they put on your PC? How often do you have to upload the information or is it done automatically when you log on?
    Does the speed of your connection make a difference? Do you get a better score running one powerful PC or a few smaller spec?
    edited September 2005
    well they are not all up and running yet! but soon shall be!

I have 10 Pent 4 - 3.6Ghz Pros's chopping away at info so far :)
    edited September 2005
    Winga wrote:
    whats involved with registering?
    When you install the software it will ask you to choose a user name. For the team number, put in 93
    What software do they put on your PC?
    A small program which simulates the way proteins Fold (and misFold). The program may be downloaded here. Many of us prefer the Windows NT/2000/XP "No-nonsense" text-only console (with built-in Windows-service-install option), but there is also a graphical version.

The software makes use of unused CPU cycles. If all you're doing is surfing the 'Net and reading email it is likely that you are using only a minute amount of your processor. When you do something more CPU-intensive (like gaming, or something such as Sledgehammer70's graphic crunching) the program automatically backs off and frees up whatever resources your programs require. Folding essentially supplants the System Idle Process, meaning that your computer is doing something useful instead of just twiddling it's thumbs.
    How often do you have to upload the information or is it done automatically when you log on?
    It's your preference. Most people set it to automatically turn in finished work and get a new WU. You can also set the program to ask you first.
    Does the speed of your connection make a difference
    Not in the least. As long as your connection is stable enough to upload and download a 2-3 MB WU every few days you're fine.
    Do you get a better score running one powerful PC or a few smaller spec?
    The faster your CPU the faster you'll finish a WU. My worst machine at the moment is an Athlon 850; my best is an Athlon64 3500+. Needless to say, the latter machine outscores the former. :p
    edited September 2005
    well they are not all up and running yet! but soon shall be!

I have 10 Pent 4 - 3.6Ghz Pros's chopping away at info so far :)
    Just make sure you use the exact same user name for each - our teammates with millions of points got there by having a large amount of computers Folding under one name. :)
    edited September 2005
    all under Sledgehammer70 I wonder how many WU I can get in a day or 2?
    edited September 2005
    I have 3 pc's linked on a wireless network at home.

I only have internet connectivity on one. Am I able to fold on all three and transfer the info to the computer that can connect to the net and send it on from there?
    edited September 2005
    Once the program has run for an hour or two you should be able to find a progress indicator with an estimated time-to-completion graph.

Did you choose the console or the graphical client?
    edited September 2005
    I didn't know there was an option :(
    edited September 2005
    Did you go through a DOS-like box to setup the program, or do you have a red cog :fold: down by the clock?
    edited September 2005
    the red cog :)
    edited September 2005
    Winga wrote:
    I have 3 pc's linked on a wireless network at home.

I only have internet connectivity on one. Am I able to fold on all three and transfer the info to the computer that can connect to the net and send it on from there?

sorry prof just making sure you didn't miss this question :)
    edited September 2005
    Winga wrote:
    sorry prof just making sure you didn't miss this question :)
    I'll be honest with you and say that I'm not sure. Do you use Internet Connection Sharing? If so, you're fine.

I know some of our teammates who travel a lot and have limited Internet access at times will download a bunch of WU's, crunch them while they're on the road, then send them all back in at once when they return. That is all done on one machine, though.

I'm kind of leaning toward saying you can't (unless you are using Internet Connection Sharing). There would be too much risk of point fraud, since there would be jerks who'd just copy the same WU over and over again to inflate their score. :rolleyes:

But as I said, I'm not an expert in this particular area. If no one else pipes up with a definitive answer I'll do a little more research and find out. :)
    edited September 2005
    I have not shared the PC's for internet for my own reasons, although I can very easily do so. I am running ADSL so the speed is no problem and being wireless I just have to jack the modem into the wireless router and voila internet on all the pc's.

Like I said I really do not want to do that if I can help it, so your feedback with regards to my previous question would be greatly appreciated :)