Laptop shorted when putting modem back in...help!!!

edited September 2005 in Hardware
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100, about 4 or 5 years old. I was on the phone with the Dell support people due to issues with my hard drive. They had me unscrewing things and taking things out, one of which was the modem. Stupid me, I reinserted the modem with the battery in and my laptop shorted out. Now, it won't turn on at all. Does anyone know if this is fixable? My entire life was on that laptop, and not all of it was backed up, including my Master's thesis. Help, please!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Niki,

Chances are quite favorable that you did not fry the files on your laptop's hard drive. I don't know the architecture of your laptop. Do you remember seeing on the motherboard (if you had it opened up that much) where the CMOS batter is? If it's like some laptops', and all desktop motherboards, there should be a round, nickel-colored battery. Often when a computer won't boot after hardware changes, it is due static somewhere in the motherboard. Often a removal of that round battery (CMOS) allow you to re-enter the BIOS and reset your computer. In fact, I had to do that today to one of my computers. It would not boot fully until I completely discharged the BIOS/motherboard of all electricity by removing the batter.

Please answer some questions first so we can further help you:

Will your computer boot into POST (power on self test), meaning that part of boot-up where the screen is dark except for text showing memory and other messages?

Do you know how to access the BIOS and make changes?

Again, I would venture to say that the data on your hard drive is intact. We have a pretty good chance of getting you up and running.

You probably shouldn't take any more steps with your computer until you check back in here with us, OK?

Number one rule -- whatever you do, please remove the computer's powerpack (main battery) first.
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks for the hope. I don't really know much about computers, but I am pretty sure I didn't see the motherboard. I removed the hard drive and modem. It was when I put the modem back in that my laptop shorted. I cannot start up my laptop at all. I just sit there and push the power button and nothing happens, so I can't even get to the BIOS to make changes. It just won't turn on at all. I'm freaking out... do I still have some hope of getting my files back? That is my primary concern. If it is likely, then I will take it to my school's computer repair center to be fixed. I just don't want to take it if there is no hope of getting my files back.

Thank you!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Do you have any friends with the same model - I mean same brand (Dell), same model (Inspiron 8100) laptop as yours? Your hard drive should be removable with only one screw securing its latch, or just a lever or button to release it.

If it's the same model of laptop, you can try starting up a friend's computer with your hard drive. Even if it won't boot into Windows won't necessarily mean your data is gone.

Keep working with us. I'm fairly confident we can get your data back. When this whole issue is taken care of, we can tell you how to make an inexpensive backup system for the future.
  • edited September 2005
    NikiM129, I used to have an Inspiron 8100 myself and I sold it to a buddy last year and it's still running well. Dell has a page on the 8100 that gives you a detailed breakdown of how to get into the darn thing. The web page for it is here. You might try taking it apart and removing the reserve battery as Dell calls it, along with the regular battery and see if it will reset the bios to defaults. If that doesn't work, then you probably fried something on the mobo. All your data isn't lost though as I wouldn't think it would fry the hard drive. They make adapters to adapt the ide interface found on laptop hard drives so that you can plug them into a desktop machine.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited September 2005
    try this remove the battery make sure the laptop is unplugged also

then push the start butten and hold it for about one minut

that is how you clear the CEMOS on that laptop

the hard drive top is on the rt aft side

their is one screw then the plate slides down and then it slides out

BTW i had one of thos awihle back also