DVI-VGA Converters

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Hardware
I just bought my first flat panel monitor, which is a Samsung 930B. The 930B has VGA and DVI connectors but only comes with a standard VGA cable. Will DVI-VGA adapters transmit a DVI signal, or will it be VGA (analog)? I would connect the supplied VGA cable to the DVI output port on the back of the video card to the DVI input on the monitor. (You guessed it - I found out how much DVI cables cost! :eek: )

Edit: May have found inexpensive DVI cable at Sam's Club, but would still like to know about the DVI adapters' function.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2005
    the VGA cable will only transmit an analog signal, you need to buy a DVI cable
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Well, that was simple and clear. Thanks for the info.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    i'm telling you, the difference between DVI and analog is quite noticable. You really don't do your beautiful new display any justice with analog :D
    edited September 2005
    Right on, Prime. I purchased a DVI cable today on my way home from work.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Leo,

DVI gives so much better looks on things, especially desktop usage and normal windows usage. There's also a MS tool called Cleartype which enhances it even further.

You can still use the analog cable to one of the other systems if you like. That monitor can serve as a KVM, but without the mouse and keyboard.
    edited September 2005
    The monitor is up and running via DVI. Thanks, guys.