toshiba satellite with "NTLDR" issue

MizugoriMizugori NYC
edited October 2005 in Hardware
a friend of mine has a toshiba satellite with winxp on it... the other day they went to turn it on and it said NTLDR is missing

there are no floppy disks or cds in the laptop, checked that. hard drive connector seems fine. tried a bunch of the troubleshooting stuff on google but can't seem to fix it, and when the laptop is booted from the recovery cd that came with it it seems to work...but then when it gets to about 75% complete the laptop literally just shuts off.

... any ideas?? this is very frustrating

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    See if any of this is of use.

Good luck, Miz. :)
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    trying it, thanks
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    toshiba satellite with "NTLDR" issue
    When I was scanning for new posts I saw the thread title and thought to myself for a couple seconds, "What, there's WinXP loaded on a Japanese satellite up in space?" :scratch:
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    you never know...
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited September 2005
    did it work for you?
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    i told the person to try just shutting it off for a couple hours and then starting it up and running the recovery. it worked.

i know that sounds odd but i had that problem with a laptop once, the recovery would freeze the laptop up midway through recovering, i dont know if it was overheating or something?? but letting it rest for a couple hours worked for some reason.
    edited September 2005
    i had that problem with a laptop once, the recovery would freeze the laptop up midway through recovering, i dont know if it was overheating or something
    On a laptop? I'm sure you are correct. Lots of laptops have poorly designed hard drive bays, and those suckers get very hot. On mine, if I'm doing work that creates instensive hard drive activity, I have to remove the bay door so that the hard drive doesn't seize (Gateway 600YG2).

Desktop? It wouldn't surprise if his hard drive soon goes back to the same problem. It doesn't sound like a fully functional drive.
  • MizugoriMizugori NYC
    edited September 2005
    its a laptop.
    edited September 2005
    Is the hard drive defragmented thoroughly? Have you run checkdisk recently?

If problems persist, suggest you try your hard drive-intensive tasks with the drive bay door off. It made an immediate fix for my laptop. BTW, I've got two hard drives for mine (one personal, the other business). One drive locks up due to heat. The other, an inexpensive Samsung I bought at CompUSA, runs cool.

It also wouldn't hurt to blow out the CPU/HSF vent(s) with compressed air.

If the problem still persists after the cooling experiment, it probably means the drive is in an early stage of its death. OH, and yes, do run checkdisk. That could be your fix right there.
  • alexdcdalexdcd The United Kingdom
    edited October 2005
    i own a toshiba sattelite pro and the heat has caused me some problems also. The hdd is right next to the heatpipes and cooling area of the CPu and its gets hot to the touch sometimes. As for the NTLDR problem you may want to boot from CD (windows CD) and run recovery off the disk. It may be possible that the boot files could be corrupt or damaged. If you want to advise your friend as to everything mentioned. If you want to perform a bios reset, remove the battery, leave for 30 seconds, then hold the power button down for 60 t0 90 seconds with the battery still removed and then reboot. It could also be a problem with the boot order. I think that the ESc should get you into bios if its anything like my laptop. Good luck for all involved :thumbsup: