how get/send wu's w/ no connection?

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited September 2005 in Folding@Home
As the title states ...I have dual xeons at work that are idle all night.
I'd like to give it if I can get any help on this. I know mudd was a pro at this I think has he been back from the hurricane evacuation yet?

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    marc? mudd? anyone?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Do you mean no connection at all, ever? Or just no connection after hours?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think what you do is download a WU, then move the "Work" subfolder somewhere else. Restart the client; when it can't find work to do it downloads a fresh WU. Repeat the process as often as you like until you've built up enough spare WU's to keep the computer busy until it has a connection again. You'll have to manually swap out the work subfolders as each WU is completed.

I've never done this, so take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand, if they're doing nothing at all as it is, what do you have to lose? :p
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I've successfully folded with the program and work on a flash drive.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    it never connects. I would have to email the work back and forth from home to work and vice versa. And then there is the issue of sending but I think I can figure that out maybe.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    DanG, how do you deal with this on your flash drive?

Chris - I think there is probably an answer. Wish to high heaven I knew what it was... ;D

Hopefully Mudd will be back online soon - I bet he has some ideas.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    That flash drive ought to work. Couldn't you just install the whole program on it, name it machine (whatever number you wish). When it's completed a work unit, take it home, insert in the sending/receiving comptuer, start the program...zing - unit out, new unit in. Just make sure that you set up the program in the comptuer that will be the sender/reciever. The program won't know or care what computer's CPU and memory is handling the folding, but it will look for the "use internet explorer settings" to send and receive. Look, I don't know for a fact this would work, but I don't see a logic flaw.

If the capacity is large enough, the flash drive should be able to take two instances of Folding. Just like a hyperthreaded P4, dual core, or dual CPU set up. It won't stress the sending/receiving comptuer, because all that computer would be doing is forwarding data to Stanford and receiving new assignments.

Also, if you didn't want to run the program off the flash drive, you could just copy the entire folding folder from the work computer when you go home, and dump in a folder of the same name at home. Just make sure that the folder names are unique to the permanent one on your home computer.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I've folded from a Flash drive before. Just install the client to the drive and you're good to go. It'll run off of whatever box you have it hooked to and when you have to send, just close the client, pull out the drive, and connect it to a machine that has a good connection.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I've folded from a Flash drive before. Just install the client to the drive and you're good to go. It'll run off of whatever box you have it hooked to and when you have to send, just close the client, pull out the drive, and connect it to a machine that has a good connection.

Bingo. Just make sure to properly disconnect the drive, I lost a couple of WU's before I found that out.